New Polk monitor series?

Chris F
Unregistered guest
Anyone have an opnion on the new Polk monitor series? I in the market for a complete 5.1 speaker setup for around $1K. The Polks seem like they might offer great value in that range?

I have listened to the Athenas per the price/performance raves here and liked them, so is it worth my time to audition the new Polks? I have not seen much about them since they are fairly new on the market...

generally Im looking at...
small floorstanding for fronts(M50 vs. ASF2)
small bookshelves for surround(M30 vs. B1)
center
sub

Im am going to be teaming this up with my Kenwood VR-209 receiver currently, but am going to be in the market for a new receiver in the next few months...

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 698
If you like Polk I would suggest you audition the RTi series if possible. They use better drivers and can be had at Crutchfield and others for good prices. The Monitor line was designed specifically for Circuit City and I was told this by Polk themselves.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 177
chris...also try the Tannoy Fusion 3 floorstanders, you can pick them up here
www.outpost.com

they are far superior to the monitor series you mentioned and the athena's in my opinion. they would also pair up well with your Kenwood

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
you would also do far better with Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 series speakers, those you can find on ebay or at www.wildwestelectronics.com

I have these speakers and they are the best when it comes to sound for the money. The only problem is you can't demo them (at least in Atlanta). Do yourself a favor and review the online reviews, as well as the October issue of What Hi-Fi Magazine. These speakers received 5 of 5 stars in their review. The speakers are a bit inefficient at 86 db so you will need a pretty good power to make them shine. I have the Kenwood Sovereign Vr5700 receiver and it is plenty to get these speakers singing. Good Luck

Chris F
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the feedback....

I decided to go with the Polk RTi series, RTi8's for fronts and 4's for surrounds, CSi for center. And could not be happier. :-)

Now for the new receiver...

I would like to mellow out the sound a bit. For the brighter sounding speakers folks seem to be reccommending Marantz, HK, Onkyo, NAD receivers.

Im really picking between...

HK 430/630
and
Onkyo 801

at this point. I could be convinced to look elsewhere. Ive never heard NAD/Marantz and don't think I can locally.

Any opinions/input about the choice? Which would help mellow out the sound more??? Also the consensus is that Onkyo inflates their watts per channel. So would the HK actually be louder? Are their any major differences to be aware of???

The NetTune on the Onkyo sounds like an awesome feature. Anyone have any experience with it?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 699
You won't be disappointed with any of the receivers you mentioned but I would also look at the Pioneer Elite 54 and 56. They mate well with Polk and can be had for several hundred under list. Check out dynaco.com. Congrats on the Polk RTi's. They are a fine speaker and at current prices a very good bargain IMO.
Also check out the Marantz 5400,6400 and 7400 and the new 5500 etc when they come out. Great line of receivers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
Ditto congrats on the RTi's....H/K would be much better than the Onkyo you mentioned. I second that notion on Marantz and Pioneer. Sounds like you are going to end up with a wonderful system

Chris F
Unregistered guest
Hi Vols, Im about ready to make the receiver purchase. From another post I see you got your Sovereign from ecost correct? Im thinking about doing the same, but going for the 5900. :-) Its a refurb and I Im kinda leary of that...so how was your experience with ecost? Did you go for the their warrantee? If so how much was it? Looks like an awesome deal really...the sucker has 16 optical digital inputs. :-)

TwoSocks
Unregistered guest
tell me if you think this was a good deal guys...
fronts- polk rti 4's (black)$200 PAIR NEW
center- polk csi 3(black) $135 NEW
Wharfedale wh2 bipoles (white)$100 NEW
Velodyne CHT10 $200 SHIPPED NEW at expo.com

that's $635 for an entire 5.1 system that's not even a htib set. I always wait till closeout and I'm glad I did.

I heard the Polk's new monitors suck compared to the rti's... and even Velodyne's new sub line isn't as good as the CHT line it replaced... go figure.

TwoSocks
Unregistered guest
tell me if you think this was a good deal guys...
fronts- polk rti 4's (black)$200 PAIR NEW
center- polk csi 3(black) $135 NEW
Wharfedale wh2 bipoles (white)$100 NEW
Velodyne CHT10 $200 SHIPPED NEW at expo.com

that's $635 for an entire 5.1 system that's not even a htib set. I always wait till closeout and I'm glad I did.

I heard the Polk's new monitors suck compared to the rti's... and even Velodyne's new sub line isn't as good as the CHT line it replaced... go figure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
chris...I had a great experience with them, fast delivery and I did not purchase the extended warranty, although the price of the warranty was $60 (I think) for 2 years. I believe the manufacturer gives you a 2 year warranty if I recall correctly. I would imagine that this would suffice. Refurbished is as good as new in my opinion, I have never had a problem with refurbished gear that I have bought over the years. The fact that this receiver is Thx Ultra certified speaks to the high level of build quality that a manufacturer has to have for it to qualify, many receivers are at this level of build quality even if they don't carry the badge. I could not be happier with my choice in the Kenwood, especially at $480 :-)
It easily drives my somewhat inefficient (86db) 6 Ohm Wharfedale speakers. I have never turned the volume up past -15db, and believe me that is loud. It's a great little combo and works wonders in both HT and Music. I think you would be quite satisfied with it, assuming the proper match up with speaker selection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
Sorry Chris...I noticed earlier you mentioned you have purchased the Polk Rti series....These will do fine with the Kenwood

Chris F
Unregistered guest
Vols, thanks for the feedback about ecost. I just went to go snag the 5900 and it appears to be gone. :-( Ohhh well, suppose I will keep an eye open for another one there. Wonder if they get them in very often, it appeared to be one heck of deal. Any idea where else I might find some cheap refurb products? I appreciate all of your feedback. And the RTi are rocking now, even with the Kenwood VR-209.

TwoSocks...the RTi4's are $270 new pair at Crutchfield. So you are getting an ok deal, but factor in tax that you would pay in-store and its less so... Personally I would try and upgrade to the RTi6's if possible. But Im a the more drivers the better kinda guy. The sub will be super important if you go with bookselves. Personally I need some base coming out from my fronts.... Another thing to think about is going with RTi's for the rears, that way you are gaurenteed timbermatched all the way around. But this may not be too big of deal unless you listen to DVD-Audio. Take these comments with a grain a salt, Im a newbie to all this myself. :-)

Chris F
Unregistered guest
Vols, thanks for the feedback about ecost. I just went to go snag the 5900 and it appears to be gone. :-( Ohhh well, suppose I will keep an eye open for another one there. Wonder if they get them in very often, it appeared to be one heck of deal. Any idea where else I might find some cheap refurb products? I appreciate all of your feedback. And the RTi are rocking now, even with the Kenwood VR-209.

TwoSocks...the RTi4's are $270 new pair at Crutchfield. So you are getting an ok deal, but factor in tax that you would pay in-store and its less so... Personally I would try and upgrade to the RTi6's if possible. But Im a the more drivers the better kinda guy. The sub will be super important if you go with bookselves. Personally I need some base coming out from my fronts.... Another thing to think about is going with RTi's for the rears, that way you are gaurenteed timbermatched all the way around. But this may not be too big of deal unless you listen to DVD-Audio. Take these comments with a grain a salt, Im a newbie to all this myself. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
http://www.summitaudiocenter.com/Kenwood-VR-5900-Sovereign-THX-Receiver,i5725847 239,c39796.html

This appears to be an individual versus an actual dealer so I would proceed with a bit of caution. Other than Ebay I don't know of another etailer that carries this at reduced prices. I guess you could try a google search and see. Have you contacted ecost, I would imagine they will have more soon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 336
How much did the 5900 go for at ecost?

Chris F
Unregistered guest
$597! It was factory reconditioned of course. I want another crack at that price...

Im leary of ebay, I don't think Ill ever go that route. I may just wait for the HK 630 to go even cheaper and go with that instead if the Kenwood does not become available again....

Silver Member

Post Number: 339
Good choice as well...Either one would be wonderful, I considered H/K and Pioneer Elite and ended up with the Kenwood for the cost/benefit of it. I am very happy with my purchase, I would say that the Pioneer (47tx i think) was my favorite price not withstanding

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 43
The Fxi series from Polk are perfect for home theatre and are timbre matched to the Rti series. If multi-channel music is more your thing you may prefer the Rtis.

Later on I plan on adding some Rti10 or 12s to the front then moving the Rti8s to the surrounds and my Fxi3s to the back surrounds... But I need a bigger room.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us