How to adjust for real wood floors?

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 46
i know the best thing to do is to audition the speakers, but i'm not sure ultimate electronics does that and it's the only place around me to get def-tech speakers. what effect would real hard wood floors have on performance? thanks in advance.

matt peulen

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 133
My living room has 88 year old oak floors[ beautiful I might add] and I have found that bookshelf speakers on good stands is the best way to go. Floorstanders are a bit to boomy. If the rest of your room has lots of sound deading like lots of furniture, heavy drapes etc then maybe floorstanders might be ok but for me bookshelves solve the problem. I currently have Monitor Silver 2's for mains and love them. If I was looking at Def Tech's I would look at the Studio Monitor 450 and 350.

gavin
Unregistered guest
I just bought a set of Monitor Audio Bronze B4's, and they were a bit boomy. I attached the included bronze spikes, and they sound great. If you want towers, you'll want some kind of acoustic isolation from the floor. If you don't have/want spikes, you could try vibrapods:

http://www.vibrapod.com/

I've had quite good luck with those under a sub.

Mark Smith
Unregistered guest
Try checking out some of Michael Green Audio products http://www.michaelgreenaudio.com

Post Number: 47
two questions then

1. what is 'too boomy' ?

2. do the vibrapod caps go onto the spikes then creating a buffer between the speaker and the wood floors?

i know i'd be fine with bookshelfs, but the idea and look and sound of the floorstanding speakers being bi-polar and having that many more woofers etc. ...it's hard to actually go smaller!

Post Number: 48
by the way, i'm really, really set on getting the bi-polar towers (bp2002tl), so it's really hard to hear that i should get bookshelfs instead. it just doesn't make sense to me to pay for speaker stands that i could just spend on floorstanding speakers instead.

Username: Johnnyness

Post Number: 26
According to the book I got with my speakers... its prefectly fine to have hard floors if you can make your ceiling more absorbent. It says the wall behind the speakers should be smooth and, if at all possible, have as little furniture as possible on that wall. The Back wall (behind the listener) should be absorbent, and the two side walls should be similiar to each other in absorption. So, basically... you can play with the acoustics in your room to make your speakers sound good.

gavin
Unregistered guest
by boomy, I mean kind of wide and flat - a boom, instead of a punch.

The goal is to isolate the speaker from the floor, which will resonate with contact with the cabinet. I used the spikes that came with my speakers to do that. The vibrapods you would use without the spikes, or other feet, unless they were fairly large - you want to make good contact with the vibrapod.

You can use floorstanders easily, with proper isolation. And, unless they're really good bookshelfs, you're likely going to need a sub, and be right back in the same dilemma.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us