Definitive Technology

Quad
Unregistered guest
A friend of mine just bought a pair of reasonably price Definitive Technoloy towers, I believe they were the BP2002TL's. I am not familiar with them, but they do sound pretty damned good. I have a question, he needs a good center to go with these as his Paradigm just doesn't present the same "flavor"... any suggestions, and also, could someone enlighten me if these are pretty decent towers? I don't have the audiophile ear, but I can hear the difference between fair, good and great, but I get lost somewhere past that,,,, ie: I could never spend $500 on a pair of RCA interconnects... that is just too extreme for me. lol...

He paid about $2200 for these units, which I think is full retail...

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 77
Your friend should pick up a Def Tech center to go with his very nice 2002's. Def Tech makes several centers all which will work fine. He should buy whichever his budget allows.

Quad
Unregistered guest
Thanks TRLF... this guys budget will support just about whatever he wants... when we can get him to pry that wallet open... I think he will probably go with a Def Tech center... he just didn't want to toss the Paradigm if he didn't have to, but I can use it, its a pretty decent little center, and my ear isn't as discriminating as his anyway... thanks for the reply.... what is the least you would use for speaker wire for these? He is using a fairly nice Denon receiver, not sure of the wattage or model, not audiophile high end, but he thinks its pretty decent (I agree, but what do I know)

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 37
i love these speakers. i'd absolutely go with a def-tech center. no reason to not have the fronts and center the same. these speakers do kick some major tail end. built in powered subs (though they make a model without the powered subs as well). i'm saving my pennies for them as we speak.

does he by chance have a 6 speaker setup? i guess i was thinking of putting a center channel in the back center, but def-tech told me to get a matching surround to whatever i have for the left and right surrounds in the back instead.

Username: Woodyb

Post Number: 2
I've read alot of reviews on DefTech speakers and many people have said that they sound great for movies but not so great for music. Now I know I need to go listen to them myself but I'm just looking for some input on this claim.

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 50
my local store blasts dave (matthews) on them whenever i go in to stare and wish i had them in my home. it sounds great. movies are supposed to be great for def-tech, but i'm not even sure i've heard a movie on them yet.

Username: Johnnyness

Post Number: 27
in my humble opinion, the def techs sound great for movies because of the way the bipolar speakers and side firing woofers spread the sound. It creates a feeling of being in the movie more than many other speakers. Unfortunately, this same bipolarity of the speakers, seems to limit the imaging of the speakers while listening to stereo.... Overall, I would say the def techs aren't "unmusical" but I don't think they create a sound stage the same as a direct speaker will. You might consider taking in some music of your own to listen to on the def techs. There are alot of speakers that will crank out DMB really loud and sound great...

oh, also, I feel your pain on the Ultimate Electronics deal... its frustrating to have a kid pushin product because he gets a better commission on one vs. the other.

Finally... I did listen to paradigms for a few hours before I bought my JM Labs. I didn't really enjoy the Monitors that much... I thought the studios sounded pretty good... but for the money, I liked the JM Labs much better.

John W Evans
Unregistered guest
I would get the CLR2000 or 2500 to match the 2002's UNLESS he loves the def techs and wants to get a used set of 3000s or the 7000 series THEN get the CLR3000. The Paradigm can be used as a back surround if going with a 6 or 7 speaker setup. The back surround signal is derived from the surround L&R, so it is not as critical to match these speakers. I rarely listen to just 2 channel material, so the def techs were a good choice for me. He has a Denon amp, so he probably uses 5 / 7 channel stereo modes for music. Get a pair of 7000s, a pair 3000s, a CLR 3000, plus existing surrounds and Denon 5803 to really add "sonic impact" to your movie soundtrack and remodel your home at the same time. :-)

John W Evans
Unregistered guest
I use the Monster M-Series 2.2s for my def tech 7000s and 3000s, M-Series 1.2s for the CLR3000 & surrounds. I think that the 1.2s ( $150/pr ) would be fine for the 2002s. He should be able to get a spool of 1.2s to wire all the speakers. I figured if I was gonna throw 8 to 9 grand at speakers, I might as well throw a grand or so at wires.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us