Username: Ruggyvernon

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 1
Okay, here's the set-up:

Speakers:
Axiom M22ti fronts
Axiom QS8 surrounds
Velodyne DLS-4000 sub

I'll be doing 50% music and 50% movies. I'm looking in the $400-$500 range -- what do you think of these options (or others?)

Yamaha RX-V750
Denon AVR-2105/AVR-885S
Harmon Kardon AVR 330
Marantz SR6400

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 645
Mark:

1. Harman/Kardon AVR 330

2. Marantz SR6400

3. There is no 3--choose from above.

Your Axioms are another case of a speaker that is soemwhat bright. This gives it some fine detail, but the wrong electronics will make the sound hard and edgy (i.e., Yamaha). Yamaha is bright as well, so it makes a poor combo, IMO with your Axioms. Similarly, the Denon is not bright, but had a very "dry" quality to the sound, which can make your axioms sound a bit gritty. Not good. Stick to the H/K or Marantz and enjoy!

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 823
I would have to say Marantz first, H/K second. Marantz is cleaner and more detailed, while the H/K is somewhat muddy, but also has slightly annoying highs. If you dont agree I suggest you go and listen to the new H/K's. Although AVR430/630 are clearly better than the 1/2/330.

Username: Ruggyvernon

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the recommendations - I'm a newbie, so I'm still getting my hands around the "bright" and "warm" stuff. I heard the Marantz SR5400 at the store and it sounded great through some Acoustic Energy Reference series speakers - the salesman said the Marantz had great "software," too.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 107
Ruggy, have also heard that the new Marantz SR5500 might be worth waiting for.

http://www.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4323&highlight=marantz+sr5500
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us