Advice on receiver & sub for Klipsch speakers

Username: Snichols

Indiana USA

Post Number: 1
I've been stuck with a Bose Lifestyle 12 system for several years now & I'm going to do something about it!!! Unfortunately, I'm new at this HT thing, but I've been doing some research & I have a request for some advice...please.

The speakers that I've picked out are Klipsch, mainly because I like the brightness that they have & I've always been kind of partial to the Klipsch brand (first pair = KG6). Anyway...I've decided to go with an entry level pair of SF-2's, an SC-1, & some SS-1's. My room is only 14'x20', but we're going to be moving soon & I wanted something that would fill a larger room if it comes to that. My delimma is...I'm not sure what receiver & sub to compliment them with. I've looked at the Denon AVR 2105, the Onkyo TX SR701, & an HK AVR430. The sub I've narrowed down to an HSU or SVS, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'll be using this system for 'almost' a dedicated HT & hardly any music at all & would like to stay around $1000 for both the receiver & sub. Please, please advise a noobie.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1673
I like pairing the Klipsch with HK, a great sounding combo. As for the sub, either would make and excellent subwoofer and you really can't go wrong with any choice, comes down to economics at this point.
cheers

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 709
As you mentioned Klipsch are bright so choosing from H/K, Elite and marantz give you your best matches. Denon is way too bright and thin for Klipsch IMO.

Indiana USA

Post Number: 2
Thanx, this is very appreciated information.....please keep it coming!!! When you mentioned "Elite", did you mean "Pioneer Elite" or is there a separate 'Elite' brand of receivers.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 223
Stephen...He is talking about Pioneer Elite, most people say Elite due to the lower end of the Pioneer brand (non-elite) are not that good, although the new Pioneer 1014 is an exception to this in my opinion.

I would agree on the Pioneer, H/K, Marantz, and would add Kenwood Sovereign series (upper end)

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 224
The sub manufacturers you mention are very good, I would not skimp on this if you are into movies. Out of your $1000 I would commit half to each of your two purchases. I purchased a Kenwood Sovereign VR5700 for $480 (re-furbished) from www.ecost.com
You could also fit the H/K Avr 330 in at that price, very nice receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 124
I pair Klipsch La Scala with an h/k 325 and a Hsu STF-3. Very sweet.

Indiana USA

Post Number: 3
Thank you all for your input!!! I think I've narrowed it down to the Pioneer line of receivers, either the Elite VSX-52TX or the VSX 1014TX-K. For the subwoofer, I think I'm going to with SVS's 20-39 Cylinder Sub or the PB12-ISD Box sub. I'm not sure if I want that big of an enclosure for a sub, the cylinder I mean, it's REALLY tall...39"! But if anyone can convince me that buying the cylinder over the box for performance reasons, I'll go with that (I'll be using it for Home Theater use 'almost' 100% of the time).

Thanx again every1,
S.Nichols

Bronze Member
Username: Triedit

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 14
"As you mentioned Klipsch are bright so choosing from H/K, Elite and marantz give you your best matches. Denon is way too bright and thin for Klipsch IMO."

Makes me wonder if Klipsch is really that bright. Denon has been bright and thin for all speakers that I have used it with.

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 20
"But if anyone can convince me that buying the cylinder over the box for performance reasons, I'll go with that (I'll be using it for Home Theater use 'almost' 100% of the time). "

Unfortunately it's hard to find cylinder subs to audition at least where I live... But I've read and heard nothing but great things about them.

This thread is excellent - Comparing the 25-31 SVS (one level down from the one you're looking at) https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/1041.html

Excerpt-

"Movie time
Using these subs for movies is really where they shine. The SVS not only shakes the room, it will rock your entire house. Explosion scenes and crashes will be felt as well as heard with the SVS, without a hint of distortion. The HSU will also shake-up a room, and produces quick clean bass, but it didn't seem as realistic for movies as the SVS. The Axiom again did not add any more realism for movies, but it wasn't that bad, just overmatched.
+2 SVS, +1 HSU, 0 Axiom "

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us