Marantz 5400...good afordable speaker to match??

Username: Mojitojota

MadridSpain

Post Number: 3
Just bought a Marantz 5400. I already have a Magnat vector needle 11. I was thinking of using them as rear speaker in a 5.1 system and buy a central and front speakers than i can also use for normal stereo music (a big rage from clasical-jazz to R&B)...wich would be the main use of the system. Any advice of speakers that are not quite expensive and could be a nice match and give a acceptable estereo sound ofr music??? TX

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 543
www.ascendacoustics.com 170 model for the front.

This one got many raving reviews.

MadridSpain

Post Number: 4
Txs for the info James. My problem is that i live in Spain and i do not think we can get those here..

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1271
Try Dali, Monitor Audio, B&W. Are those available in Espana?

Barry
Unregistered guest
B&W should be pretty easy to get in Spain I guess.
Depending on your budget I would suggest:

Maybe a pair of B&W dm303 (320 euro a pair) + B&W LCR3 (259 euro) as center.

Or the B&W dm 602 s3 (520 euro a pair) for the front + the B&W LCR60 s3 (340 euro) as center.

MadridSpain

Post Number: 5
Wow What ammount of info! Yes B&W is quite easy to get here. Barry where are you getting those prices from? I guess i would go for the most affordable option. I suppose my humble Magnat vector needle 11 would do well for rear in a 5.1...

Thanks

MadridSpain

Post Number: 6
the only problem i see is that the bm303 is not magnetic shielded...

MadridSpain

Post Number: 7
And now i discover that my magnat musical power handling is 50/80W and my marantz is 90w per channel...Is that a problem to use it as a rear speakers?

hedonio
Unregistered guest
I will not worry about the 50/80W handling. For a small to medium room you will never have to crank the Marantz all the way up!. I will be curious about what is the efficiency of the surround speakers and the nominal impedance (8, 6, 4?). I'm driving a 5.1 set of Athena with a SR7400 and rarely use the reference volume on -0-. For music, it gets pretty loud at -15 and for movies at -8, -5, but again, my room is small (13'x15').

Como esta la movida en Madrid? No he estado en Madrid desde el verano del 1996. Estoy pensando volver a visitar (tengo familia en Salamanca) el proximo verano.

Buena suerte con tu seleccion de speakers!

MadridSpain

Post Number: 8
hey..viva salamanca...so much fun there!

The Magnat works at 4-8 ohm. A ti te parece <una buena idea los B&W 303 (los 602 se me van de presupuesto)..como dije mi objetivo principal es oir musica...

GRacias y vuleve pronto a salamanca

hedonio
Unregistered guest
I don't have experience with the B&W but I heard about their great reputation. I have only see them /hear them at the store, including the Nautilus series(wow!). I always been incline to value (price/quality) like a good spanish wine (Ribera del Duero and Rioja are my favorites). For that reason, most of my house setups are Canadian speakers (Athena, PSB, Mirage and Paradigm). If you have the opportunity to demo any of them, look for Energy, Mirage, PSB, Paradigm, Axiom or Athena.

Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 132
JR, IMO best place to check out non-expensive speakers around here is Boulanger (yes I know, I too thought it was a place to buy new fridge).

Cheers
AL

Username: Spl

Post Number: 8
Hi Jose,

Marantz AVRs can easily be matched to almost any speaker. I used to have a Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 and liked it. I upgraded to B&W 601 S3 and liked it better. I finally upgraded to a Dynaudio Audience 52 and I really like it now.

For great budget speakers, I would second the B&W 303. I've also read a great 5-star review of the new Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers and if it is available in Spain, then please audition it.

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 80
I have the Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 fronts, Diamond 8.2 surrounds, and Diamond center. I can attest to the fact that these are great speakers, especially on a budget. They have received numerous great reviews, most recently 5 stars and a "best buy" from WHAT HI-FI Magazine in this months edition. There are even advertisements in the magazine selling the exact speaker set up that I have, with the exception of the center channel being a Wharfedale Valdus instead of the Diamond center, for 199 British Pounds. I don't know how much that would equate to in your currency but it's damn cheap. The Diamond 9 series is their latest but I have not heard any feedback on those as of yet.
Do yourself a favor and check out these wonderful speakers as they will give you a great experience at 1/2 the price of some of the competitors. Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Myki......where did you read the reviw on the Wharfedale 9's?

Bronze Member
Username: Spl

Post Number: 13
I have to agree with newbie. I was never into home theater and stuff nor home audio. I spent mostly on car audio.

When I moved into my new apartment, I decided to get a home theater and I got a Wharfedale Diamond 8 set (8.3, 8.1, 8 center). I was hooked to audio!

After 2 months, I upgraded to B&W DM601s and I heard a big improvement. I then upgraded to Dynaudio Audience 52 and 42 and another big level of improvement.

vols, the Diamond 9 review is on the October 2004 issue of What HiFi. The designer of the Diamond 9 is the same person as the designer of the highly awarded Quad 11s. I would have to say though that he also made use of the Dynaudio design where the tweeter and subwoofer was meshed together. The design of the speaker frame also looks like a Dynaudio Audience frame.

MadridSpain

Post Number: 10
Well i'm affraid the deccision is already made. After listeneing to same rage B&W - Polk audio- Wharfedale & Chario i decided for the last ones. It funny though because are te only ones i have never heard off. They were recomended by te store manager. he told me that brabd has an amazing musicality and is 100% true. As i said at firsat i wanted and equilbrium between listening stereo and the ome cinema, a bit more foccused into stereo and clasical + jazz+ R&B so i needed speaker quite balance THIS CHARIO ARE THE ONES! In te past i was used to Enlgish music (my fater speaker always English..but i'm quite happy wit te discovery of the italian sound, maybe i'll go back to Englis wen i turn 50 ;)...
Tanks all of you for the advices!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Happy listening Jose :-)

Myki, I can't wait to read that article. I guess here in the U.S. the What Hi-Fi magazine must run a little later than elsewhere as I just purchased the September issue just two days ago. I am sure the October issue will be around in a week or two. I know if the Diamond 9's perform like the 8's they will be something of interest for me in the future. I still can't believe that I paid so little an amount of money for such a great sounded speaker package. Although it has caused me to spend money on other things that I initially had not considered. Oh well add that to the list of other expensive hobbies I have :-)

Username: Dzhu

PA US

Post Number: 1
Where can I pick up the What Hi-Fi magazine in the US ? I am eager to read the diamond 9's review. I saw 9.6 in CES this year and they look very nice. I was told they would be retailed about $600/pair.
Dan

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Borders or Barnes and Noble is where I find them. Usually they will only be in "dedicated" book stores as grocery stores and the like only carry the "most popular" magazines

Username: Dzhu

PA US

Post Number: 2
I got the October issue at Borders. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
I just picked it up today as well. Looks like an incredibly stellar review on the 9's. Makes me cringe a bit as I just purchased my 8's in 6-04. Oh well, something for the future perhaps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Myki...Do you know if they are going to add floorstanders to the Wharfedale Diamond 9 line. I see they offer these in a cherry finish, that was the only draw back for me albeit a minor one from the 8's.

Bronze Member
Username: Alexfromholland

Post Number: 26
Hi,

Perhaps you can try Celestion speakers (actually KEF is a subsidiary of Celestion). I personally like the Celestions more than the KEFs but that's just an opinion. Enjoy listening and be sure to listen to speakers which have run in for quite some time (AT LEAST 24 HOURS). Don't listen to speakers out-of-the-box coz some will sound crappy. Enjoy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
here's the website for those who are interested in the Wharfedale Diamond 9 lineup

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/diamond9/range.htm

Jay El
Unregistered guest
This is the WhatHiFi test:
http://www.iag-pro.de/d91_firsttest.gif

Jay El
Unregistered guest
And here is the sub:
http://www.iag-pro.de/sw150groupwin.gif
Enjoy,
JL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »