Speaker to preout

Username: Fris

Austin, Tx Usa

Post Number: 1
is there a way to convert the red/black speaker connections for my center channle to a preout cable?

reason:

denon 1705 and toshiba tv

the 1705 only has preout for the sub, and my tv has preout input for center

i'm slowly putting my system together, i've got 2 klipsch fronts and backs, and if i can use the tv as a center, i can get the sub next.

i can't find what it is im looking for anywhere on the net, but i'm pretty sure it exists. i just don't know the name of it :-)

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 795
It's possible, but I really would not recommend it. The different and probably very bad sound of your tv will _destroy_ the soundfield. A center speakers is not highly important. It would be better to not have a center than to have a very bad center. You can always redirect center sounds to the mains.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 708
I hope Landroval's statement "center..not highly important" was a misprint and I am sure he knows better as in any home theater the center is the single most important speaker in the bunch. Using a tv speaker is a terrible idea and you should be buying a matching Klipsch center before, not after a sub.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1653
Stay away from using the TV speakers as a center, and as elite fan said, buy the center speaker before the sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 796
I'm a center speaker fan myself, but I've also heard many 4.1 setups with no center, and they work quite well if the front speakers are correctly placed and you sit close to the sweet-spot. The two fronts are very capable to produce the sounds that should come from the center.

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 43
I've have a silly question but why would you use a preout to center channel speaker when the denon has center speaker terminal in the back?

Username: Fris

Austin, Tx Usa

Post Number: 3
I'll have to wait another paycheck or 2 before I can any more speakers :-)

I've got 2 fronts and 2 backs, and was thinking i could get the sub next and use the TV for center.

I assume that w/ the TV having a preout input, it would be better quality overall then using the two fronts for center in the mean time.

for 20 bucks, i'll give it a shot, but it sounds like y'all experience is telling me not to bother.

this is my first home stereo setup, so i'm learning a lot. I thought i did my homework first, obviously not enough :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 798
"I assume that w/ the TV having a preout input, it would be better quality overall then using the two fronts for center in the mean time."

Really, really not.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1669
if it is a "pre-out" it is not an "input", so don't go hooking anything up on that, thinking it is an input for something.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 130
Hmmm...great stereo sound with a sub, or crappy surround with the tv as the center channel. A extremely agonizing choice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 800
Everybody, try your systems with no center speaker, just turn it off from the receiver. Play a multi-ch movie while sitting in the sweet spot. Then do the same thing for the sub.

I bet most wont even notice the absence of the center, but very easily the sub.

Anonymous

A no-center speaker set up will perform just as well especially if only two or three persons listening or watching the movie. Just tilt the right speaker pointing directly to the leftmost person and the left speaker directly to the rightmost person. This arrangement will give a soundstage as if you have a center speaker, even if youre sitting off center. For movies, its better to have no center speaker than no subwoofer.

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 18
"Everybody, try your systems with no center speaker, just turn it off from the receiver. Play a multi-ch movie while sitting in the sweet spot. Then do the same thing for the sub.

I bet most wont even notice the absence of the center, but very easily the sub."

I had this for a month while waiting for my centre and you don't notice it.... Unless there's dialogue of course, then you may miss entire conversations and have to turn on subtitles. For action it definitely adds quite a bit, but could be lived without. But why live without?

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 44
O i understand the question better :p

Ya go with the sub first.

I once had the center channel unhooked because the wire came loose, i noticed something sound different but the movie still had the sound effect it supposed to have. I just had to mess with the volume because the music was to loud and the talking was to low, but to miss the special effects from a sub i would diffently miss that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 806
Woee.. did you guys just 'unplug' the center without setting it to 'no' from the receiver? In that case you'll definitely lose all speech and other sounds that should come from the center.

If you set the center to 'no' the center-sounds will come out from the main speakers and the difference is very small. 5.1 is downsampled to 4.1 in the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us