DVD-A & SACD Unit Interconnects - What do you use?

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 54
I've noticed that most of the cable companies want some outrageous prices for multi-channel interconnects that these units require.

Most of these same companies offer standard two-channel interconnects (AR and Monster come to mind)that you could buy three pair of at a lot cheaper price.

What do those of you that have these units use to connect to your amp/receivers?

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 738
I have asked the same question - one that can easily start a forum war. The general concensus is to use quality interconnects but spending a fortune on exotic brands is usually a waste of money. The Blue Jeans, Cobalt, AR seem well recommended. I am currently using the "Radio Shack' type and find they are okay but I am looking around for something better that won't hurt my wallet. Whether what I find will actually prove to be better waits to be seen - er heard.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2184
Three pairs is the same as six. After the DACs have done their work, the electrical requirements for the analogue connection are the same, whatever the original source. You could also use two sets of three, intended for L audio, R audio, and composite video, if each lead is the same as the others. Unless a interconnecting cable is very thin or very long, or very badly made, it is most unlikely it will have any affect on sound quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Kingfish

Post Number: 28
I always grit my teeth when I buy them. But I always buy the monster price...akkk.. I mean monster cables. Maybe we should go in business and call them X-Monstrous cables? :-)

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2185
Keith, My Rantz

From Radioshack etc. or any other electronics component retailer, "Brand X" is often the name of the original manufacturer; it is the same item, apart from the name and packaging, and you do not have to pay the large mark-up and overheads. That includes Monster. I do not believe Monster actually manufactures cables; it is just a brand (I will stand corrected of this is wrong). Anyway, I would choose to spend my money on construction, not advertising and brand positioning, every time. Quality cables are mass produced very cheaply these days, usually in the Far East.

One other trick is to print arrows on the cable to convince the purchaser they have thought of something important other makes do not cater for. I have several cables like that, including Monster, and it makes absolutely no difference which way the arrows go. The original manufacturer usually does not bother with arrows, and I think it is because they are selling to electricians who know it makes no difference.

"RS" stands for "Radio Spares" and they are an established manufacturer that makes quality components. You do not have to look specifically for "RS": there are many others. Something you've never heard is likely to be just as good. Just examine the thing itself for construction quality, joints, insulation, etc., and make sure it has the right electrical specification. For composite video and sub-woofer RCA cables, the important thing is "75 OHMS". I have a 15 meter sub cable that cost about US$15 and has "KTV 75 OHM" printed in small letters about every meter along the dark red casing. It came in a simple pastic bag, with no flashy logos. This sort of thing is all one needs.

That is my view, and I am into sound quality. I know there are many who take another view.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
I have compared what I could. I've noticed among brands there was a sizing diameter difference. Monster had thicker cables, making me think it had more shielding. I always read the back of the boxes and felt better getting Monster. There was a lesson I learned years ago from Monster. I bought about a 20ft svideo cable. It was not one that was in competition from Monster. I used it to hook from my computer to my TV so I could watch DVD movies on the TV. The picture had this repeating rolling horizontal line that moved slowly across the picture. I could do nothing to fix it. I was thinking it probably was signal loss. The clarity wasn't up to par either.

I went and bought a Monster cable and that fixed it, and the picture looked great...comparable to a home DVD player. I was hooked.

I have tried that other companies cables(the one that's in competetion with Monster) for a long RCA cable I needed for running audio from my computer to the stereo, since I know audio isn't as 'sensitive' as video signal, to save a little money.

I only see one company in competition with Monster. I'll look around when buying cables in the future more closely, on the internet.

I know what your talking about with the arrows on the cable. I have a few of those. They fooled me! Boy, thats irratating.

I had thought that there was a company that was making cables for Monster, but had, until now, found nothing to prove that. Thank you for sharing this information!

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 153
Actually those arrows can be there because of outer shielding connected in one cable end only. I don't know If this really matters. But I appreciate manufacturers intending to develop their products. And I don't mind spending extra money, if there also is a capacitance spec on the box.

I have a pair of Supra RCA Dual for main channels interconnect. After buying them, I did some serious comparision against unbranded and low-end cables. My Supras are audibly better:

- Bass definition/precision becomes very good.
- I consider them having a linear frequency response, because the music seem better balanced (no particular instrument sticking out).
- The music sounds more natural, less edgy.

Negative critics on Supra RCA Dual:

- They seem to roll of at high but audible frequencies. My guessing is that it is because their capacitance is a little too high.

Albeit performed by a layman, my listening test was precise enough to detect unexpected variations in result (Supra more or less superior) depending on which cable pair was connected to 2-ch out, and which to 5.1 mains.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I've never compared sound quality with wires since when I was a teenager. I learned long ago the importance of good wires and cables. I've always selected the best I can afford. I have seen this very very expensive wire from Monster that is used to connect your speakers to the amp. Its monster z1 cable and goes retail for about $625.00 for a 250' spool. Anyone used that? Thats way outta my league.

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 101
I picked up some used analog audioquest's from usedcable.com that had been about 80.00 new a pair and the difference was worth it from the old radio shacks that I used before.

Classical 1
Unregistered guest
Please remember one name: "Belden." That company has forever made hundreds of kinds of cable - audio, video, you name it. MOST of the companies selling under Brand Names order their cables from Belden - there are, of course, variables in quality from one level to another.
In the above listings, Cobalt and Blue Jeans are mentioned. You cannot go wrong with either "brand," and if you look on their web sites you will find various "instructions" regarding their product.
The connector at cable-end is another major consideration. Canare is a name to remember here. Many audiophiles say they are simply the best. Arguably, as always.
Personally, I have tried more than a dozen inter-connects - and have settled on Blue Jeans. I also use their speaker wire. But I have a friend who has, for years, sold terribly expensive equipment. He uses (and swears by) Cobalt inter-connects and Kimber speaker cables. To each his/her own.
Oh, yes - the AR and Radio Shack brands come originally from - yes - Belden. Again, however, Belden makes many grades of cables.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 157
Stone, which Audioquest model is that? Strenghts and weaknesses for DVD-A/SACD?

Thanks
AL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
My gosh. Cables for high-res players comes a set of 6 from Monster. $200 for 6 cables!!

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2332

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Sir, your Toshiba DVD player comes to 183.25 with tax. Your wires come to 210.00 with tax. Will that be cash or charge?

Silver Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 121
many who listen to expensive cables will say they can hear the difference. Other's can't. If you purchase a $10, $100, $200 cable, you can try them out and return the ones you don't want since many vendors offer a 30-90 day return privilege.

You and a buddy can do a "double blind" test. Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us