THe best receiver between theese great manufacturers...

Restless
Unregistered guest
Hello I've Infinity Alpha speakers and I want to buy a new amplifier...which is the best match between theese?

Harman Kardon avr 230
Yamaha rxv650
Onkyo Tx-sr502
Marantz sr4500
Denon is good?

I've also see that HK have produced new models 135,235 are they better than avr230? where I can get some specifics and pictures for theese new models? Thanks!

I'll be happy to listen music and movies very well and also to play with videogames...

Bronze Member
Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 29
The 502 isn't in the same class at the HK and Marantz IMHO. I would gladly trade mine for either of the two.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 665
I would say SR4500. Or maybe the upcoming AVR235.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1483
Marantz or HK will be viable choices, Denon is a great receiver but it is not for everybody, you have to listen to it to know if you liek it.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 126
There's some info on the new H/K line here:
New HK Receivers

The built-in Faroudja DCDi for the component output is a nice touch. Too bad they didn't add DVI switching though. From the description I'm guessing they look the same as the current AVRx30 series.

Restless
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your replies, I think I'll buy Marantz...Which is better target price-quality between sr 4400, 4500 or 5400?

Silver Member

Post Number: 666
I would not get the SR4400 because of unadjustable bass management, fewer connections and lower quality DACs. The SR4500 is 7.1, has PL2x, while the SR5400 is 6.1, has front av-input, OSD and more s-video inputs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 667
Smitty, I dont think any of the new AVRx35 will have DCDi, it's only in the AVR7300.

Sarandon
Unregistered guest
Yamaha is also a great quality receiver, but you have to find the right speakers to tame the brightness on some of Yamaha's sound. But I would go for Marantz for the best receiver.

Restless
Unregistered guest
So the best is Marantz sr4500 the new model, now I own a yamaha rxv340 receiver do you think that I will improve so much in quality using Marantz amplifier?
Abother question I find used the marantz sr5200 what do you think about it? thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 647
The 200 series Marantz's had very poor power supplies so I would stay away from that one. The Marantz and H/K are the best on your list and I just happen to like Marantz a bit better.

Restless
Unregistered guest
OK so I must choose between sr 4500 or sr5400, but are you sure that I will grow so much in audio quality, considering that now I'm usign yamaha rxv340? Thanks you're very helpful!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 127
lanroval,

From the press release:

quote:

The AVR 635, AVR 435, AVR 335, AVR 235 and AVR 135 join the currently available AVR 7300 audio/video receiver, which utilizes built-in Faroudja DCDi (Directional Correlational deinterlacing) technology for extraordinary image quality, with 480p progressive-scan video output from interlaced 480i video sources (SRP: $2,399).

Silver Member

Post Number: 668
Restless, yes you will.

Smitty, yeah, the new models join 7300 which has DCDi in the family of H/K receivers, but they wont have DCDi.

Bronze Member
Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 25
All pretty good receivers here, listen for yourself... if it was me:
1.Denon 1804 great little unit for the $
2.Marantz 4500
3.H/K 235
4.Onkyo 502
5.Yamaha 650

That's my opinion :-)

Restless
Unregistered guest
You think that's really a great unit denon 1804? I see that is also come out denon 1705, they are at a very good price, more cheaper here in Italy then Marantz, H/K 235 I think that here will cost so much and is not yet released...

For you I must choose between Marantz or denon...

The marantz 5200 has no good power supplies? so what could be the problem, you think that speakers won't sound wery well?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 128
landroval,

I see, clearly I'm not as apt at deciphering marketing material as you :-)

Smitty

Restless
Unregistered guest
ok I've decided Marantz, but it's better 5400 or 4500 and the ose version?

Silver Member

Post Number: 671
Can you listen to those at your dealer? If yes, then take the one you like better. If no, just compare the specs and take the one you think will best suit your needs. If you still cant decide I suggest you to take the SR5400OSE, because it sounds so good compared to the basic 5400 which is already very nice.

Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 4
If I might jump in here. What is the difference between the 5400 & 5400OSE? Price difference?

I'm getting a receiver imminently (this weekend) and am torn between the 5400 & Yamaha RX-V650. Haven't heard the Marantz since it's too "low-end" for the dealers around me. I keep getting "oh, we'll get one of those for a bedroom system but we don't have any to demo." Yeah, thanks.

I did listen to the 650 with Polk LSi6s & liked the combo. I'm leaning strongly towards Yamaha right now--better selection of connections & better dealer support around here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
The 5400OSE has better internal components and better (amazing) sound quality. While the normal 5400 isn't as good as the OSE I think it's still clearly better than the small Yamahas, especially with music. Your dealer dont have Marantz so he must try to sell you something else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Restless,

If I had to pick, I'd pick the Denon...I have 5 friends who have owned a 1800,1801,1804 and I've heard their set-ups, for the money you can't go wrong, I've heard them side by side on many occasions and still I find the Denon to have a better soundstage (my opinion, my ears) If I was you, I'd audition the recievers you like and decide for yoursself, but make sure you listen to them in the same environment (Same Speakers and room)

Many people on these thread seem to trash Denon but yet talk to any Dealers who sell these products and most would say that for the bang for the buck Denon is hard to beat on Sound quality and features...

So I would take some of the feedback carefully, in the end both are great units so only you can decide.

Restless
Unregistered guest
You're right but unfortunately I can't listen theese amplifier in my room because I think I'll buy the receiver in internet, maybe in Germany...
There's a little problem for marantz 5400. I don't have anough space on depth under my tv to place the receiver, but the marantz 4500 I think it will fit for a little...
Denon , I don't know maybe I'll go to examine 1804,s features...
Thanks for now...I'll let you know what I'll decide to do.

Restless
Unregistered guest
Sorry, I've another question, but the new harman kardon series It's already in the stores? where I can found them on Internet? Thanks.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 129
They're not available yet. According to the press release the AVR235 will be available sometime this month. I suspect most of the online etailers currently carrying the AVR230 will carry the new models.

Restless
Unregistered guest
I've understand, but the Yamaha RXV1400 has more music performance than the other entry level yamaha receivers? Because I've found it at a very amazing price! It has so much power!! It wouldn't be so much for my little infinity alpha HCS?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
In the end when your head hits the pillow at night you have to be able to fall asleep, listen to the receivers for yourself and pick the one that sounds better for your hears, don't worry about power handling, it's underpowering your speakers that causes most damage.

Restless
Unregistered guest
Ok, I'll be thinking on what I'll buy and try to listen some amplifiers.

Restless
Unregistered guest
I've decided to buy Marantz SR4500, When it arrives I'll let you know if it's allright!

Thanks for now!

iannu
Unregistered guest
Restless: where have you bought teh Marantz 4500? Are you italian?

Anon Heredy
Unregistered guest
Yamaha for me still edges a Marantz in all aspects. I don't know why people still tends to categorize Yammaha as a bright receiver from the RXV1400 and above and lately x50's models released

Restless
Unregistered guest
Yes I'm from Italy, try on ebay italia...

Thanks for all! finally Marantz it's on my House! Fantastic sound detailed , with Infinity it's a very good match!
I've never listen music so well! Marantz it's great!
A very good amplifier for the price! I've paid it shipped 450 €

Silver Member

Post Number: 718
So you have now the SR4500? You seem to like it and that's good. Any issues or negative details? Can you put banana plugs to the speaker terminals? (For US guys, most receivers in Europe have at least caps over the banana jacks, or some even have terminals with no possibility to use bananas at all. This is because the European Union likes to make it safer and block the jacks because they think someone might use them as wall sockets for electrical devices :-))

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 150
congrats on your success. marantz is definately a good choice especially with your speakers

Restless
Unregistered guest
Landroval, thanks for your advice. So you can connect banana plug on all 7 channels with no problems, there is a caps that can be removed!
I must say that the sound it's perfect now, Marantz in this new series remove all DSP (hall, stadium and the others) there only: DD DPL2x DTS cicle surround, multi stereo and Pure Direct (it's good only with Large speakers)

The menu system it's very simple that yamaha in a couple of minutes I've set everything allright!

I'm very happy because it' really symple and it's better that they've removed DSP because they're useless.
I must also say that this unit has a very good design, it's so much bigger than my old yamaha.
The power is good but I think that if you have a room much bigger you must take a more powerful amplifier like 5500 or more, but for my room that is 4x3 meters it's already too much!

I'm very happy thanks again, if you have any question please let me know.

Bronze Member
Username: Spl

Post Number: 16
Congrats restless!

I am planning on selling my Marantz 7200 and getting the 4500 or 5500 soon. I remember the first time I bought my Marantz... ooohh! aahhhh!

By next year, I plan to get a 5-channel amp to connect to the 4500 or 5500.

Restless
Unregistered guest
Why are you selling 7200 to buy 4500? For the latest DPLIIx or DTS ES? 7200 must be so much powerful then 4500 or 5500...
I'm very happy with Marantz, musci is fantastic!

Silver Member

Post Number: 759
Actually the SRx200 series wasn't especially powerfull. I believe 7200->5500 will be a very noticeable upgrade.

Restless
Unregistered guest
It's incredible!sr x200 it's really no good, so it's better to buy x500 series! :D

Bronze Member
Username: Spl

Post Number: 17
Actually, I made a mistake in my post...

I meant to say by next MONTH, I will be getting a 5-channel amp. So that would make the amp of the 7200 useless.

So I might as well get the 4500 to get the latest features.

Is is not true that the 7200 isn't powerful. The US received a crappy bunch of the x200 series but not Asia. Actually, my SR7200 still sounded better than the SR4500 which I auditioned yesterday for an hour.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us