Seeking advice on a nice system :-)

Username: Chodecz

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,

Can anyone help me on a query i have?

Im setting up a hifi system but am unsure on certain areas and am seeking some good audiophile advice.

The system:
NAD C372 Integrated Amplifier OR..
(NAD C162 Preamplifier + NAD C272 Power Amplifier)
NAD C542 CD Player
Harman Kardon TU970 DAB Tuner
Speakers?..Mordaunt Short? Polk?

I need some advice on some excellent speakers to match this system (150w RMS 8ohm). I dont mind spending a bit more. Also suggestions or suitable add-ons or alternatives will help me very much!

Thankyou in advance for anyone who has any advice.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1658
try these speakers, you will not be disappointed
http://www.magnepan.com/

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 797
Martin Logans and Quad ELS's are also great if you want the best imaging.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 221
Def Techs are great, go have a listen if you can

Username: Joelthedrummer

Carson City, NV US

Post Number: 1
Patented 360 degree sound with the Mobius from Artistic Audio, www.artisticaudio.com. MSRP is $3500, but Canyon Audio retails them for about $2800 at www.canyonaudio.com. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 616
John:

If you want to hear something truly incredible with the NAD amp, go to the Magnepan website suggested by Berny, and for $550, order their MMGs factory direct (see the link called "An Offer We Hope You Can't Refuse"). If you like your music, I guarantee this system will bring you to tears it is so good--you simply will not believe anything could sound so good. The sound is unbelievably clean, detailed, accurate, and fast--it sounds like the performers are in the room, not on a CD. These speakers come with a 120 day in home trial period, so you have nothing to lose by trying them out. If you also decide you need something bigger, you get full credit for a bigger pair Magnepans from a dealer.

Absolutely the best speakers I have ever heard.

Good luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Hi Hawk...I have heard many great comments on the Magnepan line up, how would you say they perform when it comes to home theater? Are they difficult when it comes to placement as some would suggest?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1679
Hello Hawk,
Glad to hear you back. For some reason I had a feeling you are going to chime in when I suggested the Magnepans:-) I know your a fan!

Vols,
I have not found the Magnepans difficult to place, critical, but not difficult. Plus you need a decent amp to drive them as they are 4ohms. A weak amp will not do these beauties justice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
I actually considered these speakers based on previous posts from Hawk and others, I was concerned about placement and being able to drive them with my Kenwood Sovereign VR5700. I do plan on upgrading to an amp at a later stage I just didn't want to take a chance at the time. I know the Kenwood specs out at 110 x 5 all channels driven but I worry about the 4 Ohm load, although the Wharfedales I have are 6 Ohm and I never reach above -10 db in stereo.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 126
vols, you are correct to worry. The VR5700 is not rated for 4 ohm speakers. Don't go there.

I'm been looking at various 4-ohm receiver options for a friend. It's amazing how rare high current amps are getting there days.

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
That was my prevailing thought, when I move up to a power amp I will probably give them a try.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1681
vols,
try the 7100 from Outlaw Audio, I have it hooked up to a Kenwood KRF9080D and Axioms. An outstanding combo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
I have heard good things in regards to Outlaw. I will be seeking a 2-3 channel amp soon. I can't decide, I do like my movies so the 3 channel would be for the front three speakers but I don't know if it will be worth it since it seems you can get a lot more amp for the money when it comes to 2 channel

Gold Member

Post Number: 1684
I see what you mean, but Outlaw Audio also has monoblocks Model 200 and you can buy 2 with free shipping for $574 or get 5 monoblocks for the price of 4.

But for $899, the 7100 is an awesome deal. If you want 755 at 200 watts per channel with 5 channels I think its $1299.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 101
Berny, I looked at Outlaw and saw those deals. I have no experience with separates. To run Magnepans (say 1.6) in a stereo set up, what else would you need with two Model 200s? Would you need a pre-amp? Would NAD's C 162 work? Another suggestion?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1685
The NAD C162 will be a perfect complement for 2 monoblocks to drive the Magnepans:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Berny, I found this thread in the Audio Asylum Planar Speaker on the monoblocks. They seem to indicate that the Outlaw 200s are not really recommended for critical listening due to the multi-voltage power supply. Is that a significant concern?

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=mug&n=45469&highlight=outlaw+200&r=&se ssion=

Gold Member

Post Number: 1689
I don't believe so.
Define critical listening...:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Maybe it is angry listening or the type of listening that Virgos do. I have found other threads (including at the Outlaw website) that indicates that the change over from the AB to G is silent. See:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000003.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1690
LOL
A very interesting topic. I guess this will make or break your decision on the monoblocks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us