Yamaha RX-V2400 - Popping sound

Bronze Member
Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 13
I got what I thought was a good deal on a floor model Yamaha RX-V2400. (The store is not getting in any more; they are taking orders for the 2500. This one drove the stores wall of plasma displays. They had another one that was broken that drove their demo speakers. I was told it had been out about 12/7 for 3 months)
When I got it home, I noticed a POP sound from the left side when ever I changed inputs or turned the unit off. Sales said it was likely the speaker, so I swapped left and right to see. The pop stayed on the left. I changed my TV sound from RCA to digital audio, and now the popping seems worse. It now POPs when I change channels, and the sound intermittently cuts out for a few seconds.

Was I stupid to buy a floor model? Does anyone have any ideas about what I should do next?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 692
Take it back and demand your money back. Nothing
short of a full refund is acceptable IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 107
Yes, definately take it back. Stand your ground too. You will regret it if you keep it.

Bronze Member

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 14
It is my understanding that electronics fail quickly if they are going to fail at all. (Barring abuse) At one time companies charged extra to 'burn in' a device. That is why I was hoping the floor model would be OK.

I guess my REAL question is: Is it the receiver that is bad, or could it be the speakers/cables/setup?

Bronze Member

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 15
I just got off the phone with the store, they are going to swap it out for a new in-box unit. Funny how they failed to mention ANOTHER STORE had one when they said the wharehouse was out of them . . .

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the results.

Bronze Member

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 16
I got the new unit, and after setting it all back up again and re-programming the remote, etc all seems well. No Popping, unexplained drop-outs, etc. I can't wait to hook in some surrounds and drop in a good action DVD!

Thanks for your help!

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 115
glad it worked out for you. No one wants to spend $700 for a receiver and get the runaround when there is a problem with it.

BTW what feature or features sold you on the RX-v2400 anyway?

Bronze Member

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 17
Actually, it was $800 as a close out. MSRP is $999. I know I could have gotten it a little cheaper on-line, but then if I'd had this problem I'd have to ship it back and deal with warrenty issues, etc. If I had gotten it off eBay I'd be up the creek. This store is an authorized Yamaha dealer and does the warrenty work on site.

The reason I choose the Yamaha is I read several reviews that said it was one of the best receivers at that price range. I like the video conversion, so I don't have to run every kind of cable from my media closet to the TV. (I already had, but thats a different story.) The reason I choose the 2400 over the 1400 was I wanted multi-zone video as well as audio. I also like the sound.

The one thing I miss from my old JVC was that each input remembered its volume setting. The 2400 does not. (Unless that feature is buried in a menu somewhere. . .) I'm getting my HDTV OTA, and some channels need the volume tuned up. If I switch back to the radio without tuning the volume down I can get blasted.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us