Quad 21L or 22L ???

Storm
Unregistered guest
Need your opinions which is best for my HT and Stereo setup. Is the 22L an overkill?

Need comments for those who have owned or listened to this models.

Bronze Member
Username: Brijesh

BudapestHungary

Post Number: 12
Depends on what r u looking for ...

I believe if u use the 22L as the fronts and the 11L / 12L as the surrounds .. u might be able to do without a subwoofer ... as they churn out more than enough bass... But again it is a matter of personal choice. The 22L also make a great stereo pair.

However for pure stereo - i prefer the 21L ... slightly less coloured ... though less bass. So if u use the 21Ls as the fronts ... u will definitely need a sub.

So did that help or confuse u even more !

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 750
I dont think 22L's are a good idea because with those you'll still need a sub to get the cinema 'feeling'. Passive speakers just cant create enough well controlled bass.

Also the crossover of the 22L is quite different from the other L-series speakers. That's because it's a 2.5-way speaker where the tweeter-mid x-over point is much higher (3kHz vs 2,2kHz) than with a 2-way speakers.

If you're going for a multichannel setup with or without a sub I would definitely get the 21L's for fronts. If it's just a stereo setup without a sub I might consider the 22L's.

Storm
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your input. I think in terms of sound stage and tonal clarity both are the same its just that the 22L has more bass. In that aspect I don't think i need more bass coz i already have a sub(velodyne spl 12).

TjMV3
Unregistered guest
I have the Quad 22L and I love them. I use them strictly for two-channel Audio The bass is better than what some people say.

In my room, they work best about 22 inches from the back wall, and 18 inches from the side wall. Too close to the wall, and the bass gets a bit boomy.

If you're gonna' use them for both Audio and Home theater, I would go for the 22L and a Subwoofer. This way you get some good bass even in just traditional 2-channel. Add the Subwoofer when doing movies or surround music.

Just my opinion and experience with the Quad 22L.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 756
TjMV3, nothing prevents you from using a sub with music also. In my opinion the extra bass is very unnecessary when you have a sub, and the integration to other L-series is not as good.

TjMV3
Unregistered guest
No , of course not. Nothing prevents you from using a sub with music.

My comment was eluding to those 2-channel purists who refuse to use a sub in 2-channel music. I don't know if "Storm " is one those folks, but just in-case.

My point was the 22L puts out enough bass for 2-channel, in my opinion.

The Quad 22L is also very revealing of bad source material. Bad recordings.....sound horrible. Bad rock recordings........so even worse.

Good recordings .........are so very sweet!!

Personally, if I was going to use the L-Series for a Home Theater system, I'd still go with the 22L as my fronts. But hey, that's just me.

As for integration with the other L-Series speakers, I have no experience with that; as I use the 22L strictly for 2-channel Audio.

Bronze Member
Username: Brijesh

BudapestHungary

Post Number: 13
Storm ... if u already have a good sub .. u might even consider using the 12L as the fronts .. they are outstanding even for stereo ... Having listened to the almost the entire L series extensively ... i preferred their bookshelf models for pure stereo .. better imaging and a truer midrange ... u could integrate them with ur sub and play around with the bass level setting to achieve a good intergration ... because if u relieve the bookshelfs of the bass ... the imaging should improve .. i have seen this with some other bookshelfs like the Sonus Fabers and Dyna-audios ... havent tried this out with Quads ... but shud be interesting
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us