New York USA

Post Number: 443
Well said Jan. I couldn't agree more.

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 361
MarcC,

Welcome to old dogs. I laughed at your analogy. It is like the Mac said "bring it on", took a beating and got back up, spirit intact. I shudder to think what a NAD, Arcam, Creek etc, would sound like if one of them took the blow the Mac did.

Rick,

On another forum where I was doing some research on turntables, I came across a thread where a group of guys got together for a listening party. They all brought various pieces of equipment to setup for comparison. The piece of equipment that elicited the most comments and biggest surprise for them? Spendors.

All,

I was telling a friend yesterday about getting the Mac and the plan to get a turntable down the road. He has a turntable he will loan to me until he's ready to get his system setup (right now he's distracted by the Dovekie sailboat - an old dog sailboat, for sure - he and his wife just bought).

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 362
As I look around, it appears I'm in my bedroom. But, the acoustical environment says I must be in "Folsom Prison". lol Hey, is that Glenn Shirley over there? "No laughing during the song, please"

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 630
Marc C

If you get involved with these 'Old Dogs' then you're bound to become an deranged audiopath just like them and not even a daily dose of lithium will help you. Don't do it - save yourself!

Silver Member

Post Number: 631
Ghia,

I have thoughts about a gal in her bedroom thinking about Folsom Prison. I think you should discuss this with the BF.

See what I mean Marc C :-)

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 363
JohnA,

Interesting report on the wireless system you put in place. Of course, it worked the first time...it's a MacIntosh (the computer company). :-) You are probably right about the direction of the media. For 98% of the listening public, the sound quality of music served up from a computer over a wireless network is acceptable.

In my test of this scenario, using a wired digital audio receiver (Squeezebox/SlimDevice) hooked into the NAD c350, I found a noticeable difference in the sonic ambience between the output of the Squeezebox and the NAD c541i CD player. The CD output was preferrable - even though I was playing .aiff files through the Squeezebox. Maybe the Airport Express Base Station has a better DAC than the Squeezebox.

I think I'll do a Squeezebox/iPod/CD comparison through the McIntosh one night this week.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 364
MR,

What are those thoughts? lol. Pardon me, need to check out for a moment...June Carter, has joined us in Folsom. As she says "I'm glad to be back in Folsom..." Now, we're going to Jackson.

Silver Member

Post Number: 632
Ghia

I have thoughts about a woman saying, "I'm glad to be back in Folsom ..."

Maybe I better try some lithium anyway.

Okay. it seems like you're listening to country on the Mac - yeck!

That's for country, not the Mac :-)

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 366
MR,

The Mac doesn't discriminate. He makes everything better. For instance, since I've plugged him in, there have been 3 consecutive days of good weather here. This is too coincidental to be just a coincidence.

Disparaging country! Y'know, I've seen some similar comments from Kegger and JohnA in the past. How do these viewpoints relate to the previously mentioned "judgmental attitudes prevalent in the classical music scene" (remember the "roots" debate on the Discoveries thread). To paraphrase an Aimee Mann song, how is this (country bias) different?

Instead of lithium, please, pick up a copy of "Folsom Prison" and give it a fair listen. Take an afternoon or evening where you can sit and listen from start to finish. Do this at least twice before rendering a final decision. Get past the twang and listen to the message, hear the soulfulness, experience the connection between musician and audience. You may come away with a different perspective. Now, will this make you a fan of country music? Probably not and that's not the intent. But, you stand a good chance of becoming a Johnny Cash fan.

Cheers, my friend!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 367
The Mac sequence this morning has been:

Thelonius Monk
Johnny Cash
Tift Merritt (the first cd - the "country" one)

If it's good, it transcends genre and age and technological "advances".

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 444
Ghia,

I am glad you are enjoying the Mac sound. As far as your comment regarding the Monitor Audios-I had them on my short list for a time. They are fine speakers, but trust me, no accuracy match for the Spendors. I am still amazed at these little buggers! I just don't gush about them any more, because people will say OK already Rick, enough is enough. I put on Peter Gabriel's "Mercy Street", from the "SO" CD last night. The layering of sound and harmonies was like an out of body experience with these things.
Cheers!

Rantz,

Glad you warned Marc about this group. (LOL!)

Marc C,
Welcome to "Old Dogs". If you love music, and are open to new and old ideas, you are in the right place.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 368
Rick,

Thanks again to you and Jan for holding out the pebble! I had heard of McIntosh's reputation but had never heard them. Before I purchased the NAD T763, I purposely avoided the Mac room at the dealer because I didn't want to hear the Mac sound and come away knowing I would have to "settle" for something because I couldn't afford a Mac.

I moved the MA's back to the "main" system in the living room. The B&W's will suffice until I can try out the Spendors.

Jan,

Fascinating story about the Mac clinics. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1490
hey rick!

I've been listening to a lot of peter gabriel lately
and like you said i never noticed the lathering before.

mainly the strange voices and awsome bass guitar!
my new setup reproduces bass guitar so incredable
that it sounds like someone is right their plying one!

i've been listening to the sacd shaking the tree!

their's multiple voices all over the place i never new before
until now. and never realized the incedable bass work!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Isn't it in the Constitution, or somewhere, that all amps are created equal?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2079
Ghia,

"Interesting report on the wireless system you put in place.". I didn't do anything except switch on Airport on my Powerbook. Yep, first time. I was even able to listen to a small chunk of "Last Night of the Proms" last night, courtesy of the Real Audio Stream of BBC Radio 3. Atrocious sound, of course, on the built-in speakers, but it kind of makes you feel in touch with homely things.

Jan,

"There are some things that get forgotten in the haze of youth and the old dogs are here to shout about them. Join in if you want or just read along. This is the best thread on the forum."

I second that, with Kegger. Yep.

MR,

You have a way with words, but I think you have it wrong with "Audiopath". The audiopaths are on the MP3 threads, surely?

Marc C,

Yes, welcome. People here are not crazy. Quite on the contrary. They have minds of their own. So be prepared for a good argument now and again. For example, Jan and I still do not agree about the motto "Two channels good; four channels bad", the original proposition (scroll up to "Archive May 23"), but I think I have learned more from arguing here than from a cartload of consensus.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2080
"...all amps are created equal".

But some are more equal than others.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 445
No John, we are crazy, about good music and good sound.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that statement, Jan? (LOL!)

BTW for all of you non-believers:all amps DO NOT sound the same. A Krell, Proceed, Aragon, and Mac all have their own sonic signature.

Ghia, if faced with a choice, you would choose 2 channel stereo?
I now officially dub thee an "OLD DOG". What happened to that pebble? I had it in my hand a minute ago. Jan, did you see that pebble?

Kegger, I wish you could hear a pair of Spendors with those tubes. WOW!!

Cheers to all the "OD's"

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 446
Just thought I would share with you the sweetest sound in the world to my ears. My daughters are in the next room having a bout with laughter and the giggles..............

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 370
Rick,

That's sweet!

Yes. In a scenario where the only option given to me is to have a single system built from the components I currently own, it would be a Mac/Monitor Audio/NAD c541i setup.

Without a doubt.

Of course, I've heard Mac has a couple of components such as MHT200, MX134, MC206, MC207, etc. Not that I'm considering any of them.....

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 371
Jan,

I took the Mac out of the cabinet and opened it up. It looks like the chassis is not damaged. There's a couple of control boxes behind the bent control knobs and they are pushed in some but the damage internally appears to be contained to that area. Will take pics once the camera's for the digital camera have recharged.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
John A. -

"'...all amps are created equal'.

But some are more equal than others."

If you look at the beginning of the Republican Party in the U.S.A. that was how they felt too, sorta, kinda. That idea that Negroes were worth 2/3 of a white man didn't come out of nowhere.

Rick - I remember posing the question that basically went; does anyone hear a child's voice like their parent does? Doesn't a parent hear their child's voice with a more discerning ear? It was in reference to a statement Gregory had made about all things being equal. I would like to hear your children's laughter but I never will hear it the same as you experience the sound. I believe it sounds unusually sweet to you. As a future jailbird has said, "That's a good thing".
So the question is, if your child's voice sounds particularly sweet to your ears is that wrong? Does that mean it doesn't represent fidelity to the source since you are not hearing what I hear? Or possibly you could phrase this; are you wrong to hear the sweetness of your child's voice? Well, it doesn't take a scientist to figure that one out, does it?

If, then, tubes have a sweetness that sounds particularly right to you does that mean you are just not hearing the reality of the source? That's a position for someone else's reality, eh, Kegger?

Sorry to take your moment and turn it into a philosophical query , Rick, but that is part of this thread's reason for being, is it not?
Don't answer. Go play with your kids.

Ghia - look at it this way, in another twenty five years you'll be ready to trade your 6200 in on one of those pieces.
I'll be waiting for the pics.

Silver Member

Post Number: 633
Rick

Could the reasons be that your children's giggles and laughter are the sweetest sounds in the world are twofold (LOL):

(a) unconditional parental love

(b) that you hear them in surround

Ghia

Don't take me too seriously. Although I don't favour country music per se doesn't mean there's some I don't appreciate or (heaven forbid) even like. And this goes for most genres of course.

John A

"The audiopaths are on the MP3 threads, surely?"

No, they are the audiophrenics I think! Well, perhaps the answer lies who hears voices and who hears music in their heads when no source is evident.

Or maybe we should be discussing the psychy of the para-audio Mac/stereo zealots.

Jan,

Maybe you should have called this thread "Once an old dog - always an old dog," or "You can't teach an old dog new tricks," or even, "An old dog never changes it's spots,"

Or perhaps, "let sleeping old dogs lie!"

BTW I enjoyed the Mac clinic story immensely. What ever happened customer satisfaction as a priority?

All,

Did some serious listening on the weekend comparing qualtiy stereo cd's to hi-res surround recordings. The latter won hands down. Of course there was no Mac or spendors in the mix and if they could have changed the result then that could be a bit scary - a para-audio experience no doubt!

I recall a year or two back seeing a Mac amp in the audio section of a chain store (the price tag was about $5500). It was this huge thing all lit up like a xmas tree and it kind of reminded me of those old cars: what we (non Americans) refer to as those 'yank tanks' - the huge old gas guzzling relics from decades past. It seemed an oddity sitting there on the shelves with all the other audio brands - think sleek clean lines of the european or Japenese autos by comaprison.

But, the ride in those 'yank tanks' was unsurpassed. It was like you were floating, I know because I had one. So maybe there's a message in this?

Kegger

Maybe you are the one who's about to hit upon the ultimate sound: hi-res surround with a tube amp driving each channel. An interesting quest.

Just like this thread: it just keeps getting interestinger and interestinger :-)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 447
Rantz,

No arguement on point (A)

As to point (B) I have 2 girls, so I definitely hear them in 2 channel stereo. Especially when they both want something. (LOL!)

As to your comment to Jan, all I can say is...............................WOOF!

Cheers!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Rantz - The Mac look is anachronistic but, and I'll leave it up to Rick and Ghia to say whether I'm right here, there is nothing in the audio world that looks better when the lights are out, the music is playing and the soft glow of the Mac is lighting the room. I'll leave it to Ghia to post some pics when the new amp arrives. As Marc C. put it a great big grinning Cheshire Cat (with a lot of style). While the Japanese companies change every year the Mac look is classic and that adds to the value. When your twenty five year old amp looks like it just came from the factory and the new gear looks just like your old gear - it works. It doesn't encourage Mac owners to change their equipment every few years but Mac has obviously survived with new customers. Mac owners used to look at the new stuff when they were in the store for the clinics and walk away saying there was no need to change, what they owned was the same as what they could buy and it was hard to argue the point too far. Even Davey O'Brian didn't push on that point.

Silver Member

Post Number: 642
Jan - I don't doubt that you're right at all. And I can relate to all you just stated. I'm just glad there aren't any around here now that I can be tempted to listen to - if permitted. Which would be doubtful!

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Aw thanks guys! Appreciate the warm welcome. Wouldn't be here if J.Vigne hadn't grabbed me by the ear from Integrateds. I knew you were all hiding somewhere...

J.Vigne,
Thanks very much and glad to be here. Was tired of hearing about cables and NAD's. (There is more to audio-life, yes?)

Ghia,
Thanks very much and pleased to meet you. My guess is plugging in an Arcam or NAD that took such a blow would knock out power for your entire block. But that's just a guess. :-)

My Rantz,
Uuuuhhhnnnggg!! I can't escape! Thank you for the warning though and see your point. So far I've seen a mohair amp, one smashed MAC that looks like a deranged jack-o-lantern, lithium, Folsom Prison, pebbles, grasshoppers, tubes, tube-surround, and old crazy, drunk audiophiles who bark. I feel so at home here...

Rick B,
Thanks much. Can I be open to ideas and stubborn at the same time?

John A,
Thank you and yes, you may recall where I stand on 2 channel and surround.

Might as well get a few things out on the table.
1. I don't like surround, and nobody can make me (John A gave me a talking to some time back, but recognized basically that I'm a young old fogey and sympathized).
2. I will never buy a subwoofer.
3. Upgraditis happens to other people - it can never happen to me. When I buy my system I will stick with it....forever....I swear....

There...I said it.

Speaking of Peter Gabriel, must tell my favorite CD. His soundtrack for the movie "Last Temptation of Christ" entitled "Passion" (not to be confused with recent movie) is an incredible recording I hold sacred (no pun). Best at night, lights dimmed. Strange yet beautiful, I felt it was better than the movie itself. Not too loud as it can be quite dynamic. Would love to hear what you guys think of that one should you get the chance.

Cheers!

(What sound does a grasshopper make?)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 449
Marc C,

YES.........YOU CAN!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1491
YO RICK!

"Kegger, I wish you could hear a pair of Spendors with those tubes. WOW!!"

you will more than likely hear it before me.
not knocking the spendors at all, i am very convinced they are excelent!

but i'm not a small monitor guy! i've tried/have
them and had many "smaller speakers" but i keep
coming back to large towers theirs just something
in the bass region and overall presence of the big
speaker that a monitor can't do and "I" need that
I crank my system from time to time and to me the
larger drivers 10" or bigger give me the grunt I
look for.

I think you would truly be amazed at how my system sounds!
running 3 amps per side 2 tubes doing most of the work
with a 12" bass driver in the cabinet running from about 60hz to 750hz
then a 10" sub running from 60hz on down with 400
watts of rotel powering it coming from the dbx 120a subwoofer procesor!

the combonation of getting the drivers on seperate amps
and modifying the tubes to accomodate their strength's and weakness
is a very difficult and time consuming procedure
but when your done
it's truly an experience!

To me my system lately is the best i've heard!
it can do everything and do it well!

if it sounds like i'm bragging i don't mean for it to!
just pointing out all the work i've done to get to
this point. "and money spent"
but it's what i like to do build things , and i've built
something allright!

the 2 things i've been striving for in my setup
was big loud speakers that sound great even low
while playing anything. also to have great 2channel
and surround out of the same setup and i've been
able to accomplish this. so right now i'm just
tweeking the final 2channel setup then seeing
what i have leftover to redo the surround.

Marc C

glad to have you aboard!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 450
You go Kegger!

I would love to have a listen..........

Cheers!

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Thanx Kegger! The honor is mine...

P.S. I think I might be with you on the full-range speaker preference...

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 373
Jan wrote: "there is nothing in the audio world that looks better when the lights are out, the music is playing and the soft glow of the Mac is lighting the room.... the Mac look is classic and that adds to the value."

The soft glow of the Mac lights was another point I was going to discuss the other night but decided to hold back. Let's just say it provides romantic mood lighting.

Despite (or perhaps because of) all the damage, this "yank tank" clearly has superior build quality over most of the mid-fi amps that I've seen. And the classic looks add to the appeal. Most photos don't do the amp justice.

Will post shots of the "new" one once it arrives.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1492
MARC C:

no need for someone to feal honored here!

we are just a big collection of audio fans, where
a few of us have recently mac'ed accross some
totally tubular/spenderous experiences!

and i'm sure it's just the beginning.

come one come all to the wonders of this side of
the forum. just listen or add whatever you feel like!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 452
I would have to agree with Ghia on the Mac lights. I would call it retro-but it's not. Mac gear has always looked the same. The new stuff looks like the vintage stuff. I think that adds to the timeless appeal. To me the looks are just an added bonus. I go for sound quality first. Great gear is great gear, and Mac certainly is just that.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1493
well said rick i go for sound above all myself
but it's a nice little bonus when it looks cool.

and to me mac stuff looks better than any other
solidstate stuff. then you have the cool look of tubes!

Silver Member

Post Number: 646
Now you listen here Mac! We've gotta lava lamp on our audio rack - now that's not only retro, but romantic to boot! We turn the lights down low and those soft floating shapes dance with the music as we sit hypnotised by sound and light and soon there's the almost silent swoosh of soft fabric shifting and suddenly something in the room changes. Eyes meet, hands begin to explore, the music builds and then the bleeding phone rings!

It's the mother-in-law again!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1494
lol!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 453
Excellent Rantz!

Do you have your moon rocks collection right next to the lava lamp?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Here's an old dog question on how something looks.

You're driving down the highway and coming in the opposite direction you see two cars that will pass you in a few seconds. Those two cars are a red 2004 Corvette and a red 1969 Mustang Mach I fully restored. Which one are you going to look at?
You're allowed to substitute for the Mustang a '66 Jaguar XKE, a '65 GTO convertible, a '57 Chevy two door with pearl side panels, etc. Just no '67 Mavericks, please. Classic looks are just fine with me.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 454
Make mine a 1955 Porsche Speedster in classic red please.......Mr. Vigne.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1496
make mine a 67 firebird 400 ram air 4 speed!

or 68 vette! 427 1050 holley dominator 4 speed 411 gear!

had the firebird but would oogle over the vette!

and of course both would have to have hooker headers with the vette
having factory sidepipes!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2082
If I could afford a McIntosh amp, I would have to do something about the Gothic script.

A '63 3.8 "E-type" (XKE) coupé, please. It had fared-in headlights. US safety regulations later decreed the farings would absorb light, Jaguar took them away, and it took abour 10 mph off the top speed (was 150) and increased fuel consumption, not to mention spoiled the lines. You may have a fine Spendor and Mac system, Rick, but I'd trade in that Porsche...

MR, I am with you all the way about amps, but have serious reservations about that lava lamp. I also recommend an answering machine for such moments as you describe...

Have just bought about 12 LPs, seemingly in mint condition, average price about €6 each. Will count them, play them, and report back next week, perhaps under Discoveries. Three were Pink Floyd (Animals, Ummagumma and The Wall) - you there, Sem? Also a Chris Barber double, inc the Lonnie Donegan skiffle group. Also some Aaron Copland (double; NY Phil I think, conducted by Bernstein), Bach, Mozart, and yet another complete Beethoven middle quartets (Melos Qt. of Stuttgart). Must go. Have to get up early tomorrow to catch train to Frankfurt, for flight to London and last leg. Must also buckle down to Powerpoint, and not read LP sleeves. All the best, folks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2083
PS with overdrive.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1498
john my favorite pink floyd album is animals!

and my favorite song on that album is (pigs 3 different ones)

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 374
Make mine a 1969 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet (just like the one I can never seem to finish.) Failing that, a Porsche Speedster would do nicely.

Mac Settlement update: Seller agreed to $600 settlement (and he files claim with UPS) and said send Paypal invoice, which I did. Get email today that he is waiting to hear from eBay in regards to handling this type of situation so the settlement can be done in accordance with their guidelines. What do you think of this development? Is he posturing to get out of this? Since a bid is considered a contract, would the verbiage in his advertisement promising satisfaction or a refund also be contractually binding? I have a feeling I may need to be contacting my credit card company and maybe eBay too.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 375
Called the CC company today and they have started the dispute process. They will send a letter with information they will need to have in order to pursue this. If the seller doesn't complete the damage settlement by the end of the week, I will let the credit card company handle it.

Fortunately, everything we have discussed in regards to the damage and the seller's agreements (i.e. don't return amp, will pay settlement, etc) has been done via email so I have a paper trail.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
He may just be covering his bases also, trying to come out as well on the deal as possible and trying to be an upright kind of guy with eBay. But, maybe not. I think contacting eBay and your card company is a good idea. I would think a contract has been made in several cases here but it may cost you money to get it resolved if he weenies out.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1499
me personally i would wait to hear from sellar first.

then if he tries to squeeze out i would contact ebay!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Rick - Can't look at a Speedster and not think about James Dean, it spoils a great car for me.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 244
John A. wrote: "Have just bought about 12 LPs, seemingly in mint condition, average price about €6 each. Will count them, play them, and report back next week, perhaps under Discoveries. Three were Pink Floyd (Animals, Ummagumma and The Wall) - you there, Sem?"

I'm here John A.
Work and personal issues have prevented me from dropping by too much lately. But I'll make it a point to look for your PF reviews. See if you can pick up a lava lamp like My Rantz has. I remember they seemed to emit a very pleasurable effect while listening to PF, but that could have been the.....ummm, never mind. :-) Enjoy!!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 376
I googled "James Dean"....lol...just kidding...I'm not that young or culturally inept....

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 377
JohnA,

I started an albums thread in the music section last week. Alas, no one else has posted to it. Must be something about the medium. Anyway, feel free to talk about your new lp's there.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 378
JohnA

The only thing gothic in the script is the McIntosh name. The rest of the amp labels are in a nice, clean san serif font. Almost modern looking. As Rick said, timeless. Of course, the sound of music would be so hypnotic you would not even notice the gothic strip. Failing that, you could always set a lava lamp in front of it....just remember to turn on the answering machine....

...as much as I would like to stay
the message light just blinks away
and while I'm here you won't push play....

- A.Mann

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 379
Correction on previous post mistake of "gothic strip". Meant to say "gothic script" Freudian slip?

Silver Member

Post Number: 647
Rick
No moon rocks - and no china ducks!

Ghia
Now we'll all be thinking about you with your top down :-)

BTW - is it a black one as in 'What Lies Beneath' - that was a great looking veedubblelya!

Jan
A 1964 Aston Martin DB5 complete with retractable Browning machine guns (for the road hogs).

Kegger
Wish You Were Here is THE Pink Floyd album.

John A
Get a lava lamp - it calms the soul. Darn, we do have an answering machine!

Sem
You're giving secrets away - but the.....ummmm was a great listening tool - especially for PF! At least that's what I heard :-)

Ghia again
Sure hope the seller doesn't try to reneg. I think you are wise in taking those precautions.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1500
rantz now i know why you got the lava lamp!

YOUR STONED!

animals rocks!

I have wish you wre here also but it doesn't compare.

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
Kegger

I don't know what that means :-)

Truth is I can't really recall the tracks on 'Animals.' I did have the LP many moons ago and I recall the floating pigs over the old power station on the cover. I remember something about 'pigs' but that's about it. This is why you have to look after yourself and stay away from the....ummmmm and other stuff - because it affects the mind and when you get to my age you can't remem . . . . . .

What's happening?

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 380
MR,

Here's something else to think about. 1969 was next to the last model year pointy turn signals were allowed on the Ghia. :-)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1501
yu know i was just teasing with yu!

but their is a song on animals called "pigs 3 diferent ones"

it's my favorite p f song.

"Pigs (3 Different Ones) by Pink Floyd

Album: Animals
Date: 1977

Songfacts: You can leave comments about the song at the bottom of the page.
Roger Waters wrote this about Mary Whitehouse, a British woman who led a movement to keep sex off TV. He felt Whitehouse had no right to decide what other people should watch.
Along with dogs and sheep, pigs are one of 3 animals represented on the album. The pigs represent people, like Whitehouse, who feel they are the moral authorities. The sheep are the people who obey the pigs and believe that it is the "Christian" thing to do and are just your normal, hard working innocent bystanders. Dogs are people who are against the pigs and are back stabbers. (thanks, Lee - Durham, NC)
The album cover shows a giant inflatable pig drifting above a London power station. During the shoot, the pig broke free, where it caused chaos as it floated near Heathrow airport. It went up about 18,000 feet before coming down in a farm in Kent. They never did get the shot, and ended up compositing 2 pictures for the cover.
The giant, inflatable pig became a part of their live show. They brought it out whenever they played this.
When the band toured without Roger Waters in 1987, they used an inflatable pig that was altered to have a huge pen!s. The band claimed they did it because Waters had the original idea for the pig and they did not want him to sue for copyright infringement. Waters was furious when the band continued on after he left.
Get Artistfacts for Pink Floyd
More songs by Pink Floyd
More songs with animals in the title
More songs about political figures
Comments:
Ironically, Roger Waters does not eat pork.
- Bob, Boca Raton, FL
"Animals" is an amazing album.
- brett, watertown, SD
i think they read Gorge Orwells book animal farm before doin this it has similar themes
- bob, lincoln, NE
I love this song, one of the best song sung by Waters.
- Brian, Paoli, IN karbarconstruction@hotmail.com
This is song is pretty badass, IMHO. I beg to differ with those who believe "Dogs" is the best song from "Animals". I think that distinction belong with the excellent guitar work and lyrics featured here.
- Matt, Russell Springs, KY
When the giant pig broke free near Heathrow airport, a pilot of an incomming flight happend to see it. Poor bugger reported over the air. apparrently the ground control crew were in fits of laughter when they heard a report of a giant flying pink pig!
- chris, Hamilton, New Zealand eels2can@hotmail.com
The Album "Animals" was based on front man, roger water's point of view on what society is about. The Pigs are the goverment workers and people with high power,athority, and greed. The sheep are the people who obay the pigs and believe that it is the "christian" thing to do and are just your normal, hard working innocent bystandards. Dogs are people who are against the pigs and are backstabbers.
- Lee, Durham, NC TheLeakage@aol.com

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1502
Lyrics for: Pigs (3 Different Ones)

Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel, ha ha, charade you are
And when your hand is on your heart
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost a joker
With your head down in the pig bin
Saying "keep on digging"
Pig stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find?
When you're down in the pig mine
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry.
Bus stop rat bag, ha ha, charade you are
You fucked up old hag, ha ha, charade you are
You radiate cold shafts of broken glass
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost worth a quick grin
You like the feel of steel
You're hot stuff with a hat pin
And good fun with a hand gun
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry.
Hey you Whitehouse, ha ha, charade you are
You house proud town mouse, ha ha, charade you are
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street
You're nearly a real treat
All tight lips and cold feet
And do you feel abused?
.....!.....!.....!.....!
You gotta stem the evil tide
And keep it all on the inside
Mary you're nearly a treat
Mary you're nearly a treat
But you're really a cry.

Silver Member

Post Number: 650
Ghia

Well I can understand that: those pointy turn signals can be dangerous - especially when the top is down. Darn distracting also :-)

BTW: There's nothing like driving with the top down. A few years into our marriage we acquired a 1969 MGB. It was great fun until Mrs Rantz grew rather large with pregnancy. The car had custom Recarro bucket seats. She came home from shopping one day and was rather upset with the indignancy of having to roll out into the gutter to get out of the car. Those seats had suddenly become a tight fit for her and a second car had to be purchased rather quickly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 651
Kegger

Thanks for that great info. And for the lyrics - it's all come back and I can remember the tune also. I'm humming it now. It was a good album. I hope they release both Animals and Wish You Were Here on hi-res surround formats.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 245
Kegger,
...YEP... Great song, great album, I actually have a copy of the album on pink vinyl. Although I have to agree with My Rantz here, I like Wish You Were Here just slightly more. Shine on You Crazy Diamond is one song I'd take with me to that island. Hell, what am I saying, I think I'd have to take the whole PF catalog.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1503
sem:rtantz:

I think weed all be happy if they released those
and others in high rez.

maybe we need to contact them and have um zigzag it up!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1504
The devil made me tube it!

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Kegger,

"totally tubular/spendorous"....hilarious....

Ghia,

Uh...whatever these guys said!

J. Vigne,

1. A 1968 blown Charger with a 440, just like the one they total in that really stupid movie "Fast and Furious". (How they could total such a fine car for such a stupid flick...)

2. A GM Pacer with flames and no windows. :-)

3. Whatever Peter O'Toole is was driving in "What's New Pussycat?" Wanted one since I was a kid so a beautiful blonde could parachute from the sky into it and seduce me back at the hotel while we're listening to Pink Floyd's Animals, MAC meters dancing in the background...

*sigh*

Dreaming is good.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 381
Kegger wrote:
I think weed all be happy if they released those
and others in high rez.

I detect subliminal messages in that statement. Where's the nun, now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 657
The Nun has been causing havoc in 'Definitions and descriptions.' The usual suspects are hot on her trail - including an Edgar Allan Poe impersonator. Things are certainly afoot!

Anonymous

Montresor,

Enough...the cough is a mere nothing; it will not kill me. I shall not die of a cough. Let us go on. But first, another draft of the Medoc.

-Fortunato

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Fortunato - jingle,jingle!

Anonymous

Fortunato cried out, "For the love of God, Montresor!" And he replied, "for the love of God!" Then all was quiet. Montresor called out Fortunato's name, but there was no reply. Again using the torch, Montresor tried to see inside of the niche. "There came forth in return only a jingling of the bells." Montresor grew sick at heart due to the dampness of the catacombs. He hurried to finish his task. The last stone was put and plastered into place. Against the new masonry, Montresor stacked the old bones. "For half of a century no mortal has disturbed them. In pace requiescat!" (May he rest in peace!)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1516
so ruff translation, are you saying the cat is moist?

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1517
and if so what was Montresor doing that made him grow sick?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 463
Kegger,

The above are passages from "The cask of Amontillado" by Poe.

Anon,

Is there a purpose here?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Moral - Stick to Barollo.

We seem to be stacking bones here, Rick.

Anonymous

Ahhh, Sir Barnes. You are ideed wise to venture most carefully whilst perusing through the many definitions and descriptions nearby. For there is much Tom Foolery there and nuns incognito. But understand, the shadows that they throw you, are intended to deceive.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 468
WOOF............SNIFF...........SCRATCH

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

You old dog. Come on, let's go out side for awhile. ... Come on ........ COME on ....... Ok, quit lickin' 'em and let's GO!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 470
HOWL............................................................................ ................................................................................ ...................!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Hey, guys, Music Direct:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/

has got Musical Fidelity's tube line stage buffer on sale again. The X-10v3 is a revamp of an item that M.F. made several years ago that had great popularity. It was introduced with the intention of using it between a CD player and pre amp as a buffer stage that passed the signal through a pair of 6DJ8's in the earlier version. The idea was to give a more tube like "sound" to less expensive players. I have one and it did what they claimed. It became outclassed by other equipment at the time and my unit has been in my closet for several years. Of course, the manufacturer claims "New and Improved" for more money now. It can also be placed in a tape loop to get the same effect with any solid state pre/power set up. If you or someone you know wants to hear some tubes for cheap this is a start. It can't put music in where it's never been, and I make no claims for its performance, but it can help a player that is a little over the top.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2084
On my return, I see that this thread has become VERY SILLY and, if it does not not become SENSIBLE forthwith, I shall be obliged to tell some nun jokes.

I dipped into a few old favourite threads and am getting out of the loop. Also confused. "Rate your hi-rez discs here". I have found yet again that LPs are hi-rez.

Since the subject of foxhunting is threatening to divide the A family, not to mention plunging the UK into civil war, I thought I would treat older family members to "Grantchester Meadows" from Ummagumma, nice new LP bought last week in former DDR for not much. I last heard that song in 1970, I think. It ages well, like a good wine. Talk about hi-rez. Just imagine the bluebottle or whatever buzzing around is a nun and I am sure Mr Vigne and many others will enjoy the cathartic "thwack" at the end, though others may find it a little too suggestive for family listening. Some of these nuns can be real goers, nudge-nudge, wink-wink, know what I mean, squire.....? Say no more. "Grantchester Meadows" leads into "Several Species of Small Furry Mammal Grooving in a Cave with a Pict" which is not for the squeamish and has a direct quote from a Hendrix song, I think, as the last line, but in a heavy Scots accent. Cool. Daughter utterly incredulous. I was her age when I heard it last. Mrs A. counts as a PF fan and had DSOTM on CD (a low-rez format) but had never heard Ummagumma before. If you have the choice, make it LP. Every time.

Then Brandenburg concertos numbers 1, 3 and 4 on a 1966 Deutsches Harmonia Mundi LP recorded by Collegeum Aureum. The second shot at "original instruments" Brandenburgs after Vienna Concentus Musicus (Telefunken 1964; also have that) I think - "they're playing our tune" for Mr and Mrs A. Deeply, wonderfully detailed and spacious sound. Half the strings and all of the winds had to learn how to play "old instruments". No-one would do it like now, but what pioneers, what a snapshot of history. The oboes sound like a flock of geese gaggling away. In your room.

Everyone should have at least one recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. It is a lasting tragedy that there are only six.

Also played just one track of "Rodeo" from Copland double LP by New York Philharmonic/Bernstein. No recording date anywhere to be seen on the discs or the box. Incredible detail; incredible, electrically-charged performance; incredible sound. Columbia. Whatever happened to the US recording industry......?

Ghia, get a turntable! Now! MR - now Mrs R will be able to get in and out, why not get another MGB. The new MGF looks OK but it is probably digital. If someone can persuade Ford to keep open the Coventry Jaguar factory then it will do wonders for the special relationship.

Re politics. P. J. O'Rorke pull-quote from a Saturday newspaper: "Wherever there's suffering, injustice and oppression, America will show up six months late and bomb the country next to where it is happening".

That's my old dog contribution. I am not off to pronounce on sub-woofer cables. My advice will be to burn them and buy a Rega Planar 3 instead. Plus a McIntosh amp. Which category to place this post in, I do not know.

Peace. Only a brief burst, off to Denmark on Wed. But I have loads more LPs, yes, pristine condition (never played, not allowed to write "virg_n") also Rattle/Berlin Phil Mahler 5 DVD-A and DVD-V (the pair: EMI £9.99 in HMV shop, Oxford) and the Rattle/Glynebourne/Willard White "Porgy and Bess" DVD-V (two-channel "hi-rez" LPCM). I already have the low-rez box. All I need now is some time...

Will report back, you are warned.

Dr Livingstone, not Red "congestion charge" Ken, I presume.....

Stanley.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2085
Sorry, Jan, our posts crossed. That was really quite sensible. So, no nun jokes.

Sem - thanks for still being here. I shall give the lava lamp some more thought..... There, that's done. Wish all decisions were so simple.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2086
I am out of the loop and have also lost the thread. Most of that was addressed to Definitions and descriptions. I now realise. Sorry about that. I shall go over there and offer a definition for Ghia, following "Of course, the sound of music would be so hypnotic you would not even notice the gothic strip" (my italics).

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 472
Glad you are back John! If you have been over to DEFINITIONS you can see it hasn't been pretty. All manner of protocol and decorum have fallen by the wayside. Rantz and I tried our best to keep things under control, but you know how quickly things get out of control. It's been quiet for 48 hours, so I think it's safe for now..............

Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2088
Thank you, Rick!

I urge you to think again about the Porsche. Air cooling is for lawn mowers, really. Also motorcycles. Also amps. Surely not cars.

Cheers!

SACDude
Unregistered guest
As one who recently "stumbled" upon your often-hilarious, often-incomprehensible forum I must say that you do offer some rather sensible ideas between-jabs.
Here, in the North, where I reside, we spend many hours debating such things as whether there should be more Brandenburg Concertos, etc. And yes to "John A" whoever you are, treasure your LPs! When my trusty Alphason turntable breathed its last a few years ago I took a friend's advice and offered up my LP collection for sale.
It had been carefully tweaked and anti-staticed and wiped and cleaned, and every album jacket was in near-perfect condition. I sold all 1,200 of them for $5 apiece. And I miss every one of them.
Now, I've gone to SACD - using (if you know it) a Philips player. OK, but the sound of Redbood CDs is only so-so. The SACDs, however, shine nearly as brightly as my LPs did. I will be upgrading my player this winter, as I understand that the new electronics are even better than the ones from a year or so ago.
Thank you for providing both fine entertainment and some solid knowledge to the Great Lakes area. I may not qualify to join the ranks of Holmes, the nun, and all, but I will be watching.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 473
Thank you John! I have owned several Porsche's in my younger years. The problem with Jags as I remember, for every hour of actual road time, they spent 5 hours in the repair shop.

Silver Member

Post Number: 668
John A

Yes, welcome back you globe trottin' galavanting son of a gun. Been on a mission to buy up the world's LP reserves have you? Splendid chap, 'tis a wonderful thing you're doing for the enviroment. Rick is correct about 'definitions etc' things are quiet at present but I think the terrorist nun lurks all the same. Perhaps planning another ambush. It's all been rather nerve wracking visiting that place.

Oh, and no more sports cars for Mrs Rantz. Not long after selling the MGB we got a Nissan 240Z and Mrs Rantz began to think she was Fangio. Thirty years on and little has changed - sports car or not :-)

SACDude - no qualifications necessary - the evidence is obvious! A pity about the LP collection, but eight grand could buy some pretty good audio gear!

Silver Member

Post Number: 669
Rick

If I ever see Mrs Rantz get behind the wheel of a Porche, I will be viewing from afar!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 474
Rantz,

LOL! I had to give them up. I just got too old to climb in and out.................SIGH.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 475
SACDude,

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't bring up nuns. We don't want to get it all started up again.

PS Welcome to "Old Dogs" (LOL!)

Silver Member

Post Number: 670
Rick

And getting a cramp in the 'gas' leg could be fatal in a 911 I'd imagine :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2091
Thanks Rick, MR, and SACDude.

Quite by chance I found a record store on my travels. In former E. Germany. The LPs are totally as new. What a treasure trove. I hope to go back one day. I could have got Wish You Were Here and much else besides. One could make a tidy sum buying a selling in e.g. London, but I would prefer to own them and play them.

If any one else is thinking of disposing of their Lp collections, please let me know. I will not re-sell. just enjoy the music.

"The SACDs, however, shine nearly as brightly as my LPs did. "

So, as I've said before, we were all taken for a ride by CD. Me included. They just said "perfect sound" and we believed them. Caveat emptor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 671
"The SACDs, however, shine nearly as brightly as my LPs did. "

Gee John, how do you expect a SACD to outperform an LP when it has such tiny grooves?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 476
Rantz,

You betcha! It could be tragic.........

Gold Member

Post Number: 2093
MR,

That quote was from SACDude. I can scarcely comment.

SACDude
Unregistered guest
My Rantz and friends - yes, the money from the record sale did go for some nice equipment, since then traded up even more, I'm afraid. I just got a pair of B & W 705 speakers, and must say that they are some of the most natural-sounding ones I've come across. Nothing "flashy," but very transparent. (yes, you can see right through them!)
I am not always the greatest of writers, so will try to condense into readable format.
The promise of great sound from CDs did not ever materialize, as we all know - and I was rather hesitant to jump into the SACD market. I thought about DVD-A, but went the SACD route because I saw a more "active" listing for classical music there. Not too scientific on my part, for sure, but I am happy that I did. I now have 140 SACDs - and for now, that's my library. I keep watch for new releases, but tend to be very wary, and read as many reviews as I can before I spend the money!
I often wish that the old "Symphony" turntable hadn't died - the company stopped making them I think in the early 90s, and there's no rational repair service anywhere. At least I got it at somewhat bargain price. I bought it with the HR-100 tonearm and an Ortofon (spelling?) cartridge back in 1988 for $1,500. I understand that is quite a steal? It was beautiful, and I'd never had anything like it. Rest in peace. . .
As we have long, cold winters here, stereo is one of life's must-haves.
Now I will shut up and glean more knowledge from the rest of you! Thank you for reading.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
John - Only six Brandeburg Concertos but six thousand recordings to choose from.
My recollection of MG is from the late seventies when if a Jaguar ran three days out of the week it was considered your good car for when the MG didn't start. A good friend had a Midget that was a miserable little piece of engineering, it represented everything bad about the English designs. Nothing nostalagic about that memory. The memory that still leaves me shaking my head is another neighbor who was emanored of the MG so he bought one in several boxes with the intention of putting it back together. If I recall correctly, he was the third owner of that project.
As to Jaguar, rumor is that after being bought by Ford the quality has actually improved. Imagine, Jaguar is improved by Found Dead On the Road!

SACDude (strange appellation, but, whatever cognomen gets you through the night) - Hilarious and incomprehensible? I believe you have the wrong thread. We are deadly serious and thoroughly lucid. Most of the time.
As the curmudgeon that helped start this rant against all forms not binaural I will only say believe what you read at your own risk. If you have read enough of this thread you will know our attitude towards this year's new and improved models. Among us we have several members who are using 40 year old tube amps, 30 year old turn tables, 20 year old integrated amps and 30 year old speakers. And we are finding sounds that are magical and entrancing coming from that equipment. It's the damned new stuff that keeps breaking and needs replacing. We don't need no stinkin' new and improved!!! None the less, welcome to our group.

So, two nuns are driving down a dark road on the way back to the convent when sudenly, out of the darkness, a Vampire leaps onto the hood of their car. His eyes are flashing red coals and his lips are curled around his blood stained fangs as he lets out at cry. The nun driving the car swerves and jerks in a desparate effort to dislodge him from the car. When all seems lost she looks to the other nun and cries out, "Quickly, Sister, show him your cross!" The second nun clutches at her wimple as she leans out the window as far as she can and screams at the Vampire, "Get off the *&%^!%*&+ car, you *%#@*+_*&!"

John - Just remember as you go around the world buying up all the vinyl available, you are going to move soon. Do you know how much it costs to move records?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 477
Has anyone else noticed Kegger hasn't posted lately?

Kegger are you out there? Please check in and let us know all is well.................

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1518
I'm here and thanks for noticing.

fantasy football takes up most of my weekend.

and i've been rebuilding another amp. "second se-40"

had a problem wih one, turned out to be in the socket.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1519
2 other things!

I'm not up on all things nun.
and i found a yahoo groups forum dedicated to golden tube audio gear.
some very good info for me on their!

JOHN: glad to see your back with cool things for yourself!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us