Matching cerwin vegas with a receiver

Username: 50amps

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
Hi

I haven't been able to find a place that can really answer my question so I thougth I would try it here. I have a pair of Cerwin Vega V-12F floorstanding speakers. They are quite sensitive but at the same time are pretty big and can take a lot of power(up to 300 watts i believe). I am looking for a stereo receiver to power these well and have narrowed my search down to either the HK 3380 (80 watts a channel) or the 3480(120 watts a channel)RMS. What would be the best to go with? Is it advisable to go for the extra power offered by 3480 or will the 3380 be okay?

Thanks for any response

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 77
Steve, extra power is always a good thing. The 3380 is 80wpc and the 3480 is 120. I personally own the 3480 and would highly recommend it if you ever like your music loud. The 3480 does not have to work nearly as hard when the volume is up and the sound is pristine. It has a sub out if you want to add that later.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
okay, I was thinking the 3480 would be better and you have clarified it for me. thanks very much

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 76
Steve,

It depends on how much extra you need to spend to get that extra power. 120W is only 1.5 times 80W, which corresponds to a 1.8 dB in sound pressure increase. It's not that much. Find a receiver or amplifier with a volume scaled in dB and increase by 2 dB. You'll find it's not that much more. So don't spend too much if that's the only difference between the amplifiers (I don't know if that's the case).

If your Cerwin Vega are very efficient, they won't need much power anyway. I rarely need more than 1W per channel when I listen to music fairly loudly with Klipsch La Scala speakers rated at 106 dB at 1W and 1m. Yours are rated at 98dB, which is still very high. You'd need only 6 W per channel to get as loud as I get with 1W. 80W should be quite loud.

Bronze Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 84
I purchased the 3480 online for $300 including shipping.

It has a decent remote that is easy to use too.

Hope that helps!

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
Thanx for the posts everyone. Bleustar, I would be obviuosly going with just stereo speakers but i was wondering: is the vmax option on the 3480 good for movies? Does it make a big difference in the spacial sound?

Bronze Member

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 91
I personally was not that impressed with the Vmax option. I use it occasionally for a change of pace, but can't really give it a thumbs up. The two channel sound is excellent when you consider the price of the receiver($300). My bookshelf speakers are on 30" stands (ear level) and I have equal distance between each speaker and my seating. I am very happy with my purchase.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 13
okay thank you for your input
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us