Wanna be, but cant afford it!

Dman
Unregistered guest
I just got a Pioneer DV 563A-S DVD player because my old JVC went out and Best Buy program replaced it. I have an old Pro Logic surround w/2F,2B,Cen, Sub that I got on closeout from Radio Shack. These speakers are large and I have to plug in the Sub. I want to update my reciever to the new 5.1+ surround but want to stay around $200. Yeah, stop laughing, I know its cheap but I cant really spend lots of money ($500+) on this reciever. If anyone has any suggestions on a receiver that would be great. By the way I have a 55" widescreen Samsung TV.

Username: Harbolt

Post Number: 28
You might try the Harman Kardon factory reburbished outlet store on the net. They usually have some really good stuff that is usually pretty cheap. I know you can probably get a refurbished unit on that site for maybe close to what you were wanting to spend. Try the link below:

http://www.harmanaudiooutlet.com

Hope this helps.

Brent

Dman
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info. I will check it out. Anybody have any thoughts on these models. Pioneer-STRDE695, Pioneer-VSX-D412, Sony- STRDE595.

Alan K
Unregistered guest
Check out the Panasonic SA-HE100 - $250 list price. It is a Consumer Reports magazine "Best Buy" in Nov/02 & again in Nov/03.

Consumer Report ranks the Pioneer 412 in position 13 & the Sony 15.

Look very closely at the various factory refurbished units. It's said that some of these are brand new stock but just reticketed to move out rapidly at the end of the year. Some are even available with full factory warranty.

Dman
Unregistered guest
Thank you all so much for your time and the info you have provided. Dman

Dman
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me if these speakers I have are good or not.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc16/16440.htm

Username: Gdawg

Post Number: 63
Dman,
Those are average Radioshack speakers, and are nowhere near audiophile quality. I would recomend replacing them when you can afford better.

For the receiver recomendation:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071925152&category=39796
This is the best you are going to get at this price level.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 129
J&R Music World has had refurbished Onkyo 501's for $199.88. Pretty good deal. Might fit your needs and fits your budget.

Username: Gman

Post Number: 133
D-Man

I agree with elitefan. The Onkyo 501's strike me as a good deal and about as good performance as you are likely to expect at that price from a receiver.

The sad fact is the biggest limiting factor that is under your control is the speakers. Obviously you have no control over the engineer of the cd. I don't know your speaker budget, but there aren't many new inexpensive speakers with good enough crossovers and other parts to have a nice flat frequency response, not to mention image well and have a good soundstage. Then again there are plenty of expensive speakers that do a poor job.

CNET and Consumer Report's (regardless what audiophiles or others think about them)probably have far more listening experience with a wider range of inexpensive speakers than any single individual and most other reliable magazines.

I'd look at those resources and the speaker package resources here at ecoustics for reviews, unless there is an individual here that has specific brand and performance knowledge in this area.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us