Magnepan MMG and NAD 742

clayton
Unregistered guest
I have been looking for new speakers to replace my Athena FS-1's and I realize that the bass extension will not be the same, nothing a sub can not take handle.

My question is will the NAD 742 sound good with MMG's? I have read various accounts as to what sounds good and how much power. I have read about someone driving the MMG's well with the 752 and in the factory tour by soundstage live they mention how they saw MMG's being used with an NAD receiver in the lobby.

I had been looking at getting another setting of axioms as I have the mt22ti but the MMG's sound exactly what I am looking for as a musician I love the live sound factor. Plus the NAD has the nice warm characteristics that I love.

Username: Homedesign

Post Number: 18
The issue with amps to power any speaker is distortion, or the lack thereof. A VERY low distoriton, over a WIDE frequency range amp is:
Halfer DH-200, 220
Rotel
Muse 160
ATI
Bry$ston
Jeff Rowland$
ranging in price from $200 to over $8k (the primary difference being 'build' quality. But the Bryston, and JR's are just 'pricy' even for build quality.

Note though, that with a revealing speaker (dipole for sure) powered by a low distortion amp, will let you hear the trashy sonics of so many CD's.

But, then, when you can 'hear' the sonic quality of the source material, you know what to toss, and what to keep :-)

The problem with using system components to mask terrible sounding CD's is it will then also mask those with 'true to the original' sonic characteristics.

Username: Railbait

Post Number: 8
I don't think the T742 is rated for 4 ohms and thus cannot power the MMGs. I think you'd need at least a T752 NAD.

clayton
Unregistered guest
the nad 742 goes to 2ohms.

Username: Railbait

Post Number: 9
I would give it a try then. The MMGs have a 60 day trial period. They also have some MMG-W and MMG-C that you can try on a trial period. Those are cheaper. Check out this link (http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/magnepan_mmgw_mmgc.htm ) . I have a T762 and will be auditioning the MMG-C and MMG-W as soon as they make some. I am on the waiting list. :-)

Username: David_r

Post Number: 33
Has anyone not a professional reviewer actually heard the MMGW? Clayton, have you compared the MMG or MMGW head to head with M22tis? If so I'd love to hear your impressions.

Username: Homedesign

Post Number: 29
For what its worth:

Regrettably, much misinformation and outright nonsense have been spread to promote certain "high-end audio" products. The power of suggestion works exceedingly well, when listeners cannot trust their own hearing. I recommend to re-calibrate yourself frequently. Listen closely to all sorts of un-amplified sounds in order to recognize and remember natural aural patterns. It becomes an endless and futile pursuit to listen for and try to evaluate differences between speakers, equipment and accessories without a reality based mental reference.

Also nearing essential is a reference set of earphones to hear with accuracy what is actually on the CD, then compare to what you hear from your system, in your room and setup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us