New Speaker Suggestions

Unregistered guest
Hi,

It's been a few years since I've purchased speakers, and quite honestly I haven't kept up with what's been going on as to technological advances. I'm looking to replace the speakers in my main system setup.

I'd like to keep the cost under $7k if possible, and I'm looking to add 5.1 speakers. (My thought is that there's such little rear surround material available that I'll simply use a pair of B&W P6s to add the last two channels (i.e., from 5.1 to 7.1). A/V split is roughly 70/30 (HT/music), but I'm not looking for something that sacrifices music to achieve slightly better HT sound. My two primary A/V components are: a Pioneer Elite VSX-59TXi receiver, and a Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi universal disc player. (A Scientific Atlanta SA-8000HD HD DVR box from my cable company is really the only other component that I use on a regular basis.) The TV is a Mits. 73" HD rear projection monitor. (I only mention because it allows for one of those enormous center channel speakers which can sit on top.)

I've started looking at the 700 series from B&W only because my speaker buying past has always been with B&W. I've also thought about the new Def. Tech. BP7002 mains with appropriate DT center/surrounds/sub, but I have no experience with Def. Tech.

In any event, at this point, I'll consider anything, so please don't feel the need to limit responses to B&W v. Def. Tech.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 673
I dont know if Teufel is available to you, but if it's I suggest you take a look at them. Although they're 'HT speakers' they're also excellent with music. The Theater 8 would fit to your budget:
http://www.teufel.de/Shop/s_518.cfm?rid=400

If you go with B&W I suggest you take the 804+HTM1 for the fronts. The FST midrange driver is great, and it's important to have about identical front and center speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 652
For your budget and the Elite 59 in my area the best choices are the Def Tech's and the Monitor Audio Gold series, like the Gold 20 for mains for example. Personally I prefer the MA's but both are great.

Silver Member

Post Number: 674
I dont know. The MA's are nice, but they're not that good, no high-end. They're easy on the ear, but also somewhat muddy and covered. With a good receiver they cant compare to JMlabs, Tannoys, Dynaudios in openness and soundstage. I have no experience on the Def Tech's so cant comment.

Anonymous

To me, DefTech speakers sound similar to Klipsch but if you think the MA's do not have high ends, then maybe you will like the DefTech speakers. The MA's to me are just perfect...

user1290
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the suggestions. I have no experience with the MA's, but I'll check them out as well as the B&W 804/HTM1 combo - this had occurred to me, but I wasn't sure that it would fit within my budget. I'm not sure if I have access to Teufel, but I'll see if I can find them.

I did manage to listen to a Def. Tech. system yesterday, but the salesman wanted to simply show off how well they produced loud bangs and wasn't at all interested in talking about how well they reproduced music. (I should have expected this because the place selling them is essentially geared around selling TVs.)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and the assistance in thinning out the forest a bit. By the way, I'm listening to my first SACD (i.e., I just bought the Elite universal player), and it sounds amazing even through my current speakers. The idea of listening through some really great (i.e., for me) speakers is incredibly enticing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 687
Some other good options would be Quad L-series, Tannoy Sensys DC- and Eyris DC-series, Revel Perfoma-series and JMLab Cobalt- and Electra(Be)-series. Check them out and take the ones what you like best.

The subwoofer I would get from SVS, Velodyne or REL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 666
I think you will find if you listen to the MA's that they do indeed have a very prominent high end. As a matter of fact in the US market that is what they are known for. If anything the common criticism is some don't think they have enough bass. I don't agree, I think they are beautifully balanced and the Gold Series especially is very airy and transparent. Sorry about your lousy Def Tech demo. Don't be put off by that as they are excellent speakers, a great match with Elite and will play very loud but very nicely balanced as well. Lots of good choice in your price range. Take your time and listen to as many as possible with your own source material. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 207
My Def. Tech. surrond system has, for 10 months now, been mostly very good. These bipolar towers are just the ticket for HT, provided they have adequate breathing room behind--at least 18" in my opinion. They are rather bright with my old receiver, and for the first time in memory I'm turning down the treble. I'm planning to upgrade electronics to the Elite 55 most likely. The Elite's MOSFET outputs would be very good with these towers, imo. The bass output on my BP2004TL (10" with 250 watts built-in) is quite adequate for me. My old Infinity 150 watt 12" sub is in storage, as these towers go lower than it. I would think the BP7002, with its 300 watt powered 12" and two 12" passive radiators in each tower should have enough bass for most rooms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 667
John,
The Elite 55 is being replaced by the vsx56txi. See dynaco.com. Thay have it for $997 with full 2 year warranty. Great choice for Def Tech's.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 208
Thanks elitefan for the info. Once again, as with the old models, I'm faced with figuring out whether the Elite 56 is worth $300 more to me than the 54.

Anonymous

Try and demo the following PMC OB1, TB2+ Centre and Rears. You may decide a sub is unnessasary. Brilliant for theatre and very musical.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 149
I agree with previous posts on the def tech's, I auditioned the supertower 7004 (i believe)the other day and man they were sweet. You can pick them up for $1600 and they come with built in powered subs which saves money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us