NAD T742 versus NAD T743

Username: Parimar

Ontario Kanata

Post Number: 1
I was wondering if someone could comment on the differences between the NAD T742 versus NAD T743.

Also one dealer I visited indicated that there were some problems with the NAD T742 on the digital side. Anybody heard of any problems?

Thanks for your help .

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 429
Maria,

As for the differences between the T742 and T743, I have addressed those in this thread: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/103040.html

As for the issues you speak of, I personally would not worry too much about it, but you can judge for yourself. Just buy from an authorized dealer and you should have no problems. If you would like more information, check out this thread. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/92714.html. There was quite a lively discussion on the issue.

Ontario Kanata

Post Number: 2
Thanks Johnny,

I guess I'm a little concerned about the hookups more than anything else. I will be using the receiver for both home theatre (to a HDTV ready unit),with satellite receiver, DVD player, CD player and VCR.

I understand that component video is a better connection for visual tham S-video or composite video.

I also like the idea of having A/B speaker switching.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 430
If you are looking for A/B speaker switching and component video, then it seems like you have made your decision as the T742 lacks both of these.

There is no doubt that the T743 offers more features than the T742, but the prices on the T742 are so low right now that if money is an issue, it is definately something to look at. Those things are being sold for as low as $350 new. With that kind of power and the awesome "NAD sound", it is hard to pass it up. The T742 will blow any other $350 receiver out of the water in terms of sound and power in my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 117
Johnny, where did you see the T742 for $350 new?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 75
Go for the T743, if those are your requirements. Plus the T743 OSD is quite more flexible then the T42.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 431
Jeff,

Sorry, I made a slight mistake. Saturday Audio Exchange has the T742 for $399, not $350 as I said. I thought that last time I looked they had discounted even further (to $350), but I guess that must have been something else. Check out www.saturdayaudio.com and look at the "deals" page. Even still, that is still a wonderful buy.

I appologize for any confusion.

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 118
I got my hopes up for a second there. LOL

You're right, $400 still is a good deal. I haven't heard too many bad things about the T742 as with the other 7X2's. That the only A/V receiver from NAD I ever considered buying. Now that 2004 is coming to an end the T743's should be getting flushed out with better deals IMO.

I will wait and see.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 131
Maria,

I would choose the T752 over the T743 if that's an option at all. The were the same price (around C$900) last time I checked. The only thing lacking in the T752 is the A/B speaker switching but it has more power than the T743 and allows for expanding to a 6.1/7.1 system with the addition of an external amplifer(s).

For the price (I paid C$650 for one last fall at Sound Advice on Merivale) the T742 is a great unit. It's lacking quite a few features found in most other receivers at that price point but as Johnny says, it has the "NAD sound" and sound quality is one feature you ALWAYS use :-).

Ontario Kanata

Post Number: 3
Hi Smitty

".... For the price (I paid C$650 for one last fall at Sound Advice on Merivale) the T742 is a great unit. ...."

That's the same place I've been dealing with.

I also went up the street to the Audio Centre. The person I dealt with there said that there were all kinds of problems with the digital portion of the T742 and highly recommended the T743 pricing it with the Mirage Nanosat speaker set plus wiring at C$1,700 (taxes not included).

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 132
parimar,

That's the first I've heard of that problem. I would ask the staff at Sound Advice if they've heard of these kind of problems with the T742. If there's a problem or even a perceived problem with a NAD receiver, you can pretty well guarantee that it'll show up on this forum as well. I haven't had any problems with my T742 (other than a problem I caused with loose wiring) and the guys at Sound Advice said they sold about 100 units with only one return due to a lightning strike. They also mentioned any T752 issues were fixed with firmware updates. I don't suppose they had any T752s left? Were you looking at a NAD/Paradigm combination at Sound Advice?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 253
Smitty, Hi!! Long time....

Parimar, I too have a T742, its paired up with PSB Image speakers, and love the sound. I do have a digital noise issue however. In my case though it seems to be a compatibility issue between my T742 and my Pioneer 563A dvd-combo player, as the noise is prevalent only with these two pieces connected. I spoke with both NAD and Pioneer support and neither feel their product is at fault. My T42 when matched with a Denon 2200 was quiet. My 563A when matched with a Denon receiver was quiet. My solution to all this is to turn off the digital source via soft menu on the 563A, and only use the analog connections to the T742 for all types of discs. This way there is no noise just sweet music. Works good for now, will probably upgrade in the future however.

Ontario Kanata

Post Number: 4
Smitty

Sound Advice has some "refurbished" T752s, so they could be the firmware upgraded ones.

Yes I'm thinking of a NAD/Paradigm combination. I have the Paradigm Titans and PDR-8 on my audio system right now, and do like the sound. Sound Advice has suggested a configuration using the Atoms and a CC-170 centre channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us