Mixing Vintage and New?

Bronze Member
Username: Audioc

Post Number: 21
I know you've heard this before - but here it goes - I've got limited funds but would like to dive into some newer/nicer equipment. Ultimately I think I will need to do this very slowly. So here's my question - I've got a Marantz 2220B - circa 1975 connected to avid (don't know any specs) speakers. My room is roughly 15X20 - I listen to anything from U2 to Diana Krall. I'm currently using a Toshiba DVD player to listen to CD's and will often listen to my iPod as well. Will adding a dedicated CD player like the NAD 542 make a big difference from my Toshiba DVD player or my iPod? Is this a reasonable first step in curing my upgradeitis? Would saving some more money, waiting a bit longer and getting the Rega Apollo be a better choice?

Any thoughts on the logic of these endeavours is greatly appreciated........

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 870
Yes, yes and yes, but marginal.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3575
Ditto.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1471
The articulate MyRantz makes some very good points. A dedicated CD player will improve sound quality.

My only counterpoint to his impeccable advice is the definition of "marginal." His marginal may be your make or break. His significantlt more money may be your pocket change. Not that I think either is the case, but you never know until you hear them.

BTW, my father has a 2220B sitting in his basement in a box that I've been trying to con him out of for years. It makes a wonderfull appearence on the holidays. One of these days...

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 876
Stu, the words just kept rolling off my tongue.

And I agree with your counter advice. Price differences vary from country to country and one man's sound improvement can be another's (someone give me a word here). [grin]

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 190
tweak
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us