No DTS playback on my NAD T-773

Username: Adnan

Post Number: 1
Hi guys, first post here.
Just got a new NAD t-773 7.1 reciever. There's a problem and I'm trying to figure out if its my fault or the NAD's. When I put in a DTS DVD (I've tried X2, Moulin Rouge, and a few others) it'll allow me to select "Dolby Digital", but not "DTS". I've made sure my DVD player (The new Samsung with "HD upconversion") is set for DTS, but the reciever is not picking it up. The DVD's are set correctly too.

From normal two channel sources like cable TV, it'll allow me to do DTS Neo:6, but the only options I have on DTS DVDs are "Dolby Digital" or "Downmix" (I think that means stereo).

Are there any settings I may have goofed on? I bought it from an authorized dealer, but out of town... so I dread having to ship this 70lb bohemouth back.

Thanks in advance!

Username: Nathan

Post Number: 4
Hi Adnan,

Did you try to NAD support for help? It might quick help for you with them. I had checked out NAD T773 that if Ch.A and Ch.B use at the same time, then the sound will "Downmix" to stereo.

This is new receiver, so the answer very few.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Username: Adnan

Post Number: 2
BTW... my DVD player is connected using optical only. I've tried co-ax, but same problem. I also hooked up my older Sony DVD player (which has the DTS logo on it) and the NAD would do some other form of Dolby, but not Dolby Digital (and no DTS either).

thanks

Anonymous

Make sure your DVD player is set up to play DTS. It will be in the setup of the DVD player. You will then need to select DTS from the DVD disc. There is nothing you can do from the NAD. When the NAD detects a digital signal, it will automatically go to the native decoding, i.e. DTS or DD. So your only options will be downmix or DD/DTS. I have a 763 and have had no problems. And for what it is worth, I think there is a significant difference between DD and DTS - with DTS being much better.

Username: Nathan

Post Number: 6
Adnan,

I just got NAD T773 yesterday. I connected optical cable to optical-1. Power-up DVD player and NAD T773. I played X2 movie and T773 auto pickup Dolby Digital right away. Then I used DVD remote control to change audio mode to DTS. Three seconds, the NAD T773 pickup DTS mode instead Dolby Digital on T773 LCD. Did you try another optical cable. By the way, did you try to connect your T773 to PC yet??? I am trying to figure out which cable should I use. A standard RS-323 cable or special one from NAD. Do you have any idea on this?

GOOD LUCK!!!

Username: John_a

Post Number: 84
I think the problem is likely to be in the player, not the receiver.

DTS is encoded by PCM, and players have to be told that is what you want, in setup. Dolby Digital is usually the default setting.

"Downmix" is the stereo you get from Dolby Digital and which allows you to hear the soundtrack on a stereo hi-fi connected to the player with analogue. Though, of course, you give the receiver the digital downmix through the optical cable, too. DTS does not have that downmix capability: it is digital mutichannel or nothing.

I would check the player's audio settings.

Username: Jay

Post Number: 1
I have a T761 and replaced my DVD player at Xmas by a new Panasonic model (original player was a Pioneer) and got a similar problem when I started the machine: The title would no longer play DTS even though the DTS selection was made on the player.

I solved the problem by changing the default DTS output signal from PCM to Bitstream on the DVD player.

Good luck

Ricky
Unregistered guest
As far as I know the problem is with the dvd player. Checkout the DTS output.
GOOD LUCK!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us