Illuminated Capacity Gauge and Grab-and-go Dock Portable Storage Solution
WD today introduced its new ultra-portable My Passport Elite external hard drives featuring an illuminated capacity gauge and drive lock indicator so users can see at-aglance how much space is left on their drive and whether their data is secure. The convenient grab-and-go USB dock frees up valuable desk space and eliminates the search for USB ports, making it ideal for professionals who take their data back and forth to the office.
Like the previously announced My Passport Essential drives, the My Passport Elite portable drives feature automatic and continuous backup with WD SmartWare software and 256-bit hardware-based encryption. My Passport Elite drives are available now in 3 appealing metallic colors – Metallic Red, Metallic Blue and Charcoal Metallic – and are offered in capacities of 320 GB, 500 GB and 640 GB.
WD market research shows that consumers want a mobile storage device that allows them to not only back up and store their data, but also to keep their data safe should the drive end up in the wrong hands. The new My Passport Elite drives come with integrated WD SmartWare software which makes it easy to backup and secure your data.
When the My Passport Elite drive is plugged in for the first time, the simple and intuitive first backup process launches automatically. The real-time visual interface of WD SmartWare software gives users a reassuring view of their backup as it happens. After the first backup, users’ files are backed up automatically every time they change or add a file. WD SmartWare software creates a separate area on the drive for the backed up files, leaving a large portion of the drive free for carrying or sharing of files. The drives are thus appropriate for both backup and extra storage.
The illuminated capacity gauge on the My Passport Elite drive provides a quick read of how much capacity is available on the drive. The padlock icon indicates that the drive is password protected with 256-bit hardware-based encryption. Typically found only on much more expensive drive systems, the encryption acts as a virtual padlock to keep users’ data secure. Without the correct password, files are simply not accessible.
The unique design of the grab-and-go dock enables the user to quickly connect and disconnect their My Passport drive with one hand. The dock eliminates the need to search for an empty USB port, which can be a frustrating chore, particularly with desktop computers. The dock also provides power1 to the drive via the USB port so no separate power supply is needed.
“As portable hard drives grow in capacity, consumers are now able to store their entire digital lives on them. Keeping users’ content secure as well as stylish are two aspects that make My Passport Elite drives our most personal storage devices yet,” said Dale Pistilli, vice president of marketing for WD’s branded products group. “Equipped with WD SmartWare software and hardware-based encryption, WD’s new My Passport Elite drives keep consumers’ personal content safe in one place, while the sleek design and premium finishes infuse a sense of personal style.”
Price and Availability
Offered in capacities of 320 GB, 500 GB and 640 GB, the My Passport Elite drives are available now at select retailers and online at shopwd.com. MSRP for the 320 GB My Passport Elite is $119.99 USD, $159.99 USD for the 500 GB and $169.99 USD for the 640 GB capacity.
My Passport Elite
Designed for Windows-based PCs, the new WD My Passport Elite drives with WD SmartWare software feature:
- Convenient, grab-and-go USB dock connection to computer;
- Premium finish in 3 colors including Anodized Red, Anodized Blue and Charcoal Metallic;
- 256-bit hardware-based encryption for peace of mind knowing that data is protected from unauthorized access;
- USB 2.0 interface that powers the drive directly from the USB port on user’s computer, no separate power supply is needed;
- Planet-friendly packaging derived from recycled materials to minimize waste;
- Ready to plug-and-play with Windows PCs, formatted NTFS; and,
- 3-year limited warranty.
WD SmartWare Software
WD SmartWare software features:
- Visual backup displays that show content in categories and shows the progress of backup;
- Automatic and continuous data backup that instantly makes a second copy whenever a file is added or changed;
- Retrieve valuable data to its original location whether it’s lost data or the file has been overwritten; and,
- Customizable control center that allows users to set drive security, run diagnostics, manage the power settings, and more from the WD SmartWare software.
1 An optional cable is available for the few computers that limit power from the USB port.Where to Buy