At 2.4 Pounds and 0.77-Inch Thin, Portege R600 Laptop PC Combines Executive Mobility with Innovative Features
Toshiba’s Digital Products Division, a leading provider of mobile computing solutions, today announced the Portege R600 laptop PC. At 2.4-pounds1, 0.77-inch thin2, this engineering marvel incorporates an integrated 7mm DVD-SuperMulti drive making the Portege R600 Toshiba’s ultimate ultraportable laptop.
As the successor to the award-winning Portege R500 platform, the Portege R600 offers its own unique collection of new features, such as Toshiba’s fourth-generation EasyGuard Technology3 with PC Health Monitor, an extended life battery, an enhanced LED backlit transreflective display and a durable chassis. Prices for the ultraportable Toshiba Portege R600 start at $2,099 (MSRP)4.
“As Toshiba’s signature laptop PC, the Portege R600 embodies the company’s rich tradition of mobile computing innovation,” said Carl Pinto, vice president of product development, Digital Products Division, Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. “The Portege R600 builds upon Toshiba’s legacy of innovation and delivers a superior mobile experience by providing performance, functionality and flexibility in an extremely lightweight form factor weighing 2.4 pounds.”
Designed, engineered and manufactured by Toshiba the Portege R600 provides users with high-quality and enhanced reliability in a laptop PC. Toshiba’s Portege R600 includes the following leading-edge technologies:
- Design Enhancements: The Portege R600 features an enhanced LED backlit transreflective display for a better viewing angle and contrast and a durable chassis with out increasing the size or weight of the laptop. The laptop PC’s touchpad has been moved to the center and the buttons feature a tighter, firmer and more solid design. While the keyboard has been enhanced to provide a better tactile feel for touch typists.
- EasyGuard Technology: Toshiba’s Portege R600 laptop features Toshiba’s fourth-generation EasyGuard Technology with PC Health Monitor. This new feature is a preventative maintenance utility that continuously checks the performance and functionality of a laptop’s critical hardware components and will alert users when the system is in need of a tune up. PC Health Monitor tracks the status of critical components, such as hard drive status, battery life and CPU temperature and system cooling warnings. In addition to PC Health Monitor, Toshiba’s EasyGuard Technology is a proprietary, value-added series of hardware and software enhancements designed to better protect and secure one’s laptop during everyday computing. Components include HDD Protection, a spill-resistant keyboard5, fingerprint reader and Trusted Platform Module (TPM).
- LED Backlit Transreflective Display: The notebook features a special button to allow users to toggle between indoor/outdoor modes depending on the lighting environments. Indoors, the LED backlit transreflective display produces an image rich in saturated color and of superb quality. Outdoors, the transreflective screen lets the sun’s light pass through and reflects it out, bringing images on the display to life.
- Solid State Drive (SSD): Select Portege R600 configurations feature a 128GB SSD6, making it one of the world’s lightest and thinnest laptops with an SSD. With no moving parts, SSD technology provides customers with an enhanced level of protection, reliability and fast data access.
- USB Sleep-and-Charge/eSATA Combo Port7: This unique port provides convenience and speed by allowing data transfers to and from an eSATA external hard drive at rates up to five times faster than USB 2.0, and the ability to charge select USB mobile devices whether the laptop is on, off, or in sleep or hibernation mode.
- Green Attributes: The Portege R600 is ENERGY STAR 4.0 compliant and has achieved a Gold status through the Green Electronics Council’s Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT).
Complete product specifications for the Portege R600 models are available at http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/portege.
The Portege R600 is available with a three-year standard limited warranty8, which includes carry-in support at Authorized Service Providers throughout the country such as UPS Stores and Mail Boxes Etc. locations.
As a responsible global corporate citizen, Toshiba designs all of its new laptop PCs to be RoHS compatible9, effectively reducing the environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances.
Toshiba is offering a new, free electronic trade-in and recycling program which includes all laptop PCs and other select electronics, regardless of manufacturer, that have no trade-in value. For more details, please visit http://explore.toshiba.com/green. No purchase is necessary to participate in the recycling program.
- 1. Weight. Weight may vary depending on product configuration, vendor components, manufacturing variability and options selected.
- Height. Measured at the thinnest edge of the notebook computer.
- EasyGuard. Toshiba EasyGuard technology comprises a number of features some of which may or may not be available on a particular Toshiba notebook depending on the model selected. See www.easyguard.toshiba.com for detailed information.
- Prices. Reseller prices may vary. MSRP means “Manufacturers Suggested Retail price.”
- Spill-Resistant Keyboard. Under Toshiba testing conditions, the spill-resistant keyboard delayed the time for a water spill to reach the computer’s main board to allow more time to properly close down the machine. Toshiba’s standard limited warranty terms and limitations apply. Visit www.warranty.toshiba.com for details.
- Drive Capacity. Drive capacity may vary. 1 Gigabyte (GB) means 109 = 1,000,000,000 bytes using powers of 10. See Hard Disk Drive Capacity Legal Footnote at www.info.toshiba.com.
- USB Sleep & Charge. The “USB Sleep & Charge function” may not work with certain external devices even if they are compliant with the USB specification. In those cases, turn the power of the computer ON to charge the device.
- Warranty. The terms and conditions of Toshiba’s standard limited warranty, extended warranty and service upgrade terms and conditions are available at www.warranty.toshiba.com.
- RoHS. This product is compatible with European Union Directive 2002/95/EC. See RoHS legal footnote at http://www.info.toshiba.com/