Entry-Level Car Navigation Solution Debuts in Europe
Proving that quality, simplicity and style can mix, TomTom today introduces the TomTom Start in Europe. TomTom Start is an entry-level car navigation solution that represents the ultimate in easy-to-use, smart route planning.
The TomTom Start is specifically designed for occasional drivers and drivers who haven’t had a chance to experience the benefits of car navigation.
The simplified menu displays a two button user interface, ‘Plan route’ and ‘Browse map’. The device is lightweight, has a compact 3.5″ screen and has a semi-fixed EasyPort mount, making the whole navigation package fit into a pocket, small bag or glove compartment.
“With the introduction of TomTom Start, we have taken another step in democratising navigation by making it easy to use, accessible and affordable, but without compromising on providing drivers with the fastest route,” says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director TomTom. “Available in six stylish colours, the TomTom Start is equipped with the unique innovative solutions IQ Routes and Map Share technology.”
IQ Routes technology provides users with the fastest route any time of day with accurate travel times. TomTom has a database of over 800 billion speed profiles worldwide, which are included in the device’s map so that users get smart route planning wherever they are. The device also comes with Map Share, TomTom’s unique technology that allows users to make their own map changes, and benefit from thousands of free map corrections made by TomTom users every day — free of charge.
The simplified menu gives users easy access to the safety camera database and thousands of Points of Interest pre-installed into the device.
For further personalisation, users can go to TomTom HOME desktop software to download a wealth of content, including start-up screens and a range of fun voices.
Availability and pricing
The TomTom Start standard edition is available in black and white (EU map only), from retail stores at for 129 for a regional map and 149 for a European map.
TomTom Start will become available in the UK and Ireland, the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Norway.
Changeable covers (StartSkins) are available via tomtom.com/startskins and retailers for only €14.95 per colour.
TomTom Start standard key features include:
Easy to use
- Plug & Go — no installation needed; plug in and tap the touch screen.
- Simplified menu — two simple buttons ‘Plan route’ and ‘Browse map’.
- Lightweight (128g) device with a 3.5″ screen and Semi-fixed EasyPort mount folds neatly onto the back of the device, making the whole navigation package fit into pockets, small bags and glove compartment.
- Loud and clear voice instructions.
Best routing and maps
- IQ Routes technology — calculates the fastest route any time of day.
- Map Share technology – benefit from thousands of free map corrections made by TomTom users every day.
- Latest map guarantee.
- Realistic visual instructions – replicated road signs, making them easier to follow.
- High quality speaker – get voice instructions at adjustable volume.
- Help menu – provides direct access to emergency numbers and directions to the nearest emergency providers.
Accessories — optional upgrades
- Changeable covers (StartSkins), including matching protective bags. StartSkins available in store: Flaming red, Ice blue, Electric green Deep purple. Sunburst yellow and Flaming orange are also available from www.tomtom.com. Priced at 14.95 euro per colour.
- Carry case, 19.95 euro
- USB home charger.
- USB car charger.