TiVo just announced the Roamio DVR Series, available in three models: TiVo Roamio, TiVo Roamio Plus and TiVo Roamio Pro. They vary mainly by hard drive size and the ability to record more shows at once. The base model, just called Roamio is $199 and can record up to 75 hours of HD content, and four shows at the same time. The mid-range Plus model doubles the price and recording capacity, allowing six simultaneously recorded shows. Lastly, the Pro model further triples recording time up to 450 hours of HD shows for $599.
The added advantage of Roamio over TiVo’s existing DVRs is the ability to stream recorded shows to iPad or iPhone, when you’re in another room or away from home. Basically it’s a slingbox feature for those familiar with Dish Network’s offering. However, some content is restricted from streaming outside the home.
In addition to recording, each Roamio also can stream videos over the Internet from Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube, plus Amazon in ONE box, assuming you pay the required service subscriber fees, along with TiVo’s own $14.99 monthly service fee. So all of this convenience is by no means a bargain, because there still is the cable bill to deal with. Each Romio requires CableCard connectivity from a digital cable provider or Verizon Fios, but DirecTV and AT&T U-verse are not supported.
- Coming very soon, out-of-home streaming will allow subscribers to stream TV and recorded shows to your iPad or iPhone. The built-in TiVo Stream feature allows users to connect to their Roamio over Wi-Fi and watch recordings and cable channels almost ANYWHERE.**
- New look and feel interface offers updated HD screens and fonts with nearly twice the performance. Browse and Search content even faster.
- “What to Watch Now” on the DVR provides an instantaneous personalized dashboard that immediately shows you the best programming available… right now. Quickly browse through the best sporting events, top 20 shows in that time slot.
- For users who just like a good channel guide, Roamio offers guide filters to quickly break down the options into only content you want to see. Choose to browse the guide by something as simple as Movies or Sports, or as specific as romantic comedies.
- All new application platform — leveraging the new HTML 5 platform to support our apps, the TiVo Roamio runs the latest version of YouTube and Netflix with more on the way. The new platform will enable faster, more frequent additions to the TiVo platform.
- An improved remote will boast an RF connection, allowing Roamio to be placed behind closed cabinets or in another room altogether — no line of sight is needed to operate your TiVo. Still, the remote retains the capability of learning commands to control all of your other equipment, allowing for the true one-remote solution.
- Anywhere you have an Internet connection, you have the ability to manage your DVR with your phone or tablet. The updated free TiVo mobile app available for tablets and smartphones (iOS and Android) offers remote Season Pass management, a recording scheduler that allows you to add or remove recordings and enhanced WishList management.
- TiVo Mini software has been updated to include Netflix and “dynamic tuning” to maximize the value of Roamio’s capacity. This feature allows all of Roamio’s tuners to be used for recording when they aren’t actually streaming content to another screen. It’s the ultimate whole-home DVR experience.
TiVo Roamio back panel
TiVo Roamio Plus and Pro have same back panel
Pricing and Availability
- TiVo Roamio is available for $199.99,
- TiVo Roamio Plus for $399.99
- TiVo Roamio Pro for $599.99
TiVo Roamio Setup for Cable
*A one year monthly TiVo service or product lifetime subscription is required and sold separately. Cable and streaming services subscription required for Cable and web-delivered programming, and are not included in TiVo service subscription. Additional fees may apply for other broadband content. Broadband programming sources subject to availability and may change without notice.
** Streaming is restricted to a limited number of devices owned by the TiVo subscriber. Due to content provider restrictions, not all content can be streamed out of home and some content may only be streamed while a mobile device is on the same local network as the subscriber’s DVR. Mobile devices sold separately.
Comparison and Specifications
|Roamio||Roamio Plus||Roamio Pro|
|Recording capacity (HD/SD)||75/650 hrs||150/1200 hrs||450/3500 hrs|
|Hard drive size||500GB||1TB||3TB|
|Works with Digital cable and Verizon FiOS||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Works with HD antenna||Yes||No||No|
|Works with AT&T U-verse||No||No||No|
|Works with satellite (DirecTV)||No||No||No|
|Coax/MoCA bridge||Requires adapter||Yes||Yes|
|Phone adapter support||No||No||No|
|USB 2.0 ports||2||2||2|
|Built-in WiFi (A,B,G,N)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Works with TiVo Stream||Yes||Built in||Built in|
|Works with TiVo Mini||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Connects to other TiVo DVRs||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|eSATA external drive||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Product weight||3.7 lbs||6.9 lbs||6.9 lbs|
|Product dimensions||14.3″ W x 7.4″ D x 1.9″ H||16.5″ W x 9.7″ D x 2.4″ H||16.5″ W x 9.7″ D x 2.4″ H|
|Carton dimensions||15.76″ W x 9.625″ D x 4.875″ H||19.75″ W x 13.0″ D x 6.125″ H||19.75″ W x 13.0″ D x 6.125″ H|