AT&T and Sony Ericsson today announced the Android based Xperia X10 smartphone will be available August 15. The Xperia X10 introduces Sony Ericsson's unique and entertainment-driven Xperia platform to U.S. customers in a cutting-edge, beautiful and fun package.
The Xperia X10 comes fully loaded with a 4-inch crystal clear touch display, superfast 1GHz Snapdragon processor, and aGPS. The smartphone also features an 8.1 megapixel camera with smile detection, face recognition, autofocus and LED flash. The device comes with a 2 GB in-box memory card with expandable memory up to 32 GB.
Sony Ericsson's custom user experience is great for the intersection of communications and entertainment. Two signature applications, Mediascape and Timescape, build on the Android platform to enhance the experience for users.
- Mediascape on the Xperia X10 gathers music, photos, videos and content from your phone's memory card and online, letting you browse, search, listen and share your media from one unified view. For example, view photos taken on the device as well as your Facebook® and Picasa web albums. Or, when listening to a favorite song on your phone, press Sony Ericsson's infinite button to access related content about the artist pulled from the phone's memory as well as albums, songs and video content from YouTube and search results from Google.
- Timescape is a unique communication application that automatically organizes social interactions in chronological order, leaving users free to concentrate on keeping in touch on-the-go. From Facebook® and Twitter® updates to photos, emails and text messages, a scrolling menu offers easy viewing and organization of all communications. Additionally, tap the Timescapes infinite button to bring up and view all communications from a single person in a single place.
“Sony Ericsson is raising the bar for entertainment-rich phones with the launch of the Xperia X10. With the convergence of our user experience platform and the Android OS, we are bringing consumers a smartphone experience that is not only exciting, but also very refined.”
— Paul Hamnett, senior vice president, Sony Ericsson North America
- Operating System: Android Platform
- Processor: 1 GHz Snapdragon 8250
- Memory: approx. 400 MB, comes preloaded with 2 GB microSD card
- Web Browser: Android WebKit full HTML browser for “PC-like”
- Web browsing
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g, AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- BLUETOOTH®: 2.0 + EDR
- 3G: Broadband speeds on the nation's fastest 3G network
- Display: 4″ WVGA 65K-color TFT touchscreen
- Camera: 8.1 MP camera with face and smile detection, face recognition, scene detection, geotagging
- Messaging and Email
- Timescape for viewing all social communications
- Email (POP3/IMAP, Gmail, Microsoft Exchange®)
- Text and multimedia messaging (SMS, MMS)
- Instant Messaging
- Music and Video
- Mediascape intelligent media player
- Playable formats: AAC, AAC+, H.263, H.264, MP3, MPEG-4, WAV, MIDI
- Stereo BLUETOOTH headset support, 3.5 mm headset jack
- PC Connectivity: USB connectivity/charging
- Location and Orientation: aGPS. accelerometer
- Bands/Modes: UMTS HSPA 800/850/1900/2100 MHz, GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
- Expandable Memory: microSD up to 16 GB
- Weight: 4.76 ounces
- Size (H x W x D): 4.68″ x 2.48″ x 0.51″
- Battery: 1500 mAh Li-Polymer
- Talk time: up to 5 hours
- Standby time: up to 11 days
- Google Mobile Services: YouTube, Gmail, Gtalk, Google Search, Google Voice search, Google Maps, Android Market, Picasa
Pricing and Availability
The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 smartphone will be available in black at AT&T stores on August 15 for $149.99 after a two-year service agreement and minimum smartphone data plan.