Simaudio announced the MOON 810LP Phono Preamplifier, offering a dual-mono fully balanced differential design, an ultra-refined audio circuit which is mounted on a floating suspension and fed by a unique power supply. Its highly configurable nature — selectable gain, impedance loading, capacitance loading and equalization curves — is accomplished using DIP switches found on the bottom panel. The switches are located directly in line with the circuit at optimal locations to yield the shortest possible signal path. These adjustments, in conjunction with an excellent overload margin, allow the MOON 810LP to work with virtually any available phono cartridge.
The oversized power supply, located within the main chassis, is housed in an isolated enclosure that is constructed from satin coated 14-gauge steel to eliminate all traces of AC artifacts. Within this enclosure is a high quality toroidal transformer, a “pi-type” filter to reduce AC transmission noise and multiple stages of voltage regulation. Finally, on the actual audio circuit, there are 4 stages of M-LoVo — an all new proprietary MOON low voltage DC regulation circuit. Combining all of these factors, the MOON 810LP’s power supply exceeds the performance of a battery power supply with respect to both audio signal-to-noise ratio and voltage regulation.
- The dedicated audio circuit board is mounted on a 5-point gel-based floating suspension which is derived from their M-Octave technology, originally developed for the reference MOON 850P Preamplifier.
- 4 stages of newly developed M-LoVo MOON low voltage DC regulation circuit; a highly sophisticated circuit made up of a clever combination of IC’s and discrete parts that is virtually free of noise, yielding an exceptionally fast, precise, and stable DC voltage. The result is a power supply with a noise floor of -150dB related to 1.0V, DC – 100kHz.
- Adjustable impedance loading – 64 available settings from 12.1Ω to 47kΩ
- Adjustable capacitance loading – 16 available settings from 0pF to 1120pF
- Adjustable gain settings – 16 available settings from 40dB to 70dB
- Selectable equalization curves for both the RIAA and the IEC standards
- Power supply voltage regulation includes i2DCf (Independant Inductive DC Filtering); There is one inductor dedicated to each integrated circuit type component (DAC, Op-Amp, etc.) in the audio circuit’s signal path – 24 stages in all
- Customized parts include metallized polypropylene film capacitors with very tight tolerances of 1%
- Four-layer PCB tracings with dedicated ground and power planes using pure copper for low impedance characteristics. The advantages include better circuit layouts resulting in a much shorter signal path and a vastly improved signal-to-noise ratio
- Power supply featuring a “pi-type” filter comprised of 35,200µF of capacitance and dual choke inductance (2x 200mH)
- Accurate matching of the very finest quality electronic components in a symmetrical circuit design
- The shortest possible signal path for a faster transient response and the lowest possible noise floor.
Price and Availability
The Simaudio MOON 810LP will be available in February 2012 for $12,000.