Simaudio announced the MOON 380D Digital-to-Analog Converter, an ultra-high performance DAC with versatile functionality designed around their M-AJiC32 circuitry (an asynchronous jitter elimination system) performing in true 32-bit fully asynchronous mode. The MOON 380D features the ESS SABREP32P Ultra DAC operating in 32-bit Hyperstream where the conversion process uses an astonishing 8 DAC's per channel. There are eight (8) digital inputs covering the full gamut of connections — AES/EBU on XLR (2), S/PDIF on RCA (2), S/PDIF on BNC (1), Optical (2) and USB (1). All of these inputs can accept a signal up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution. A full digital monitor loop (S/PDIF) to accommodate external devices such as a room correction component, as well as one S/PDIF digital output are included.
Enhancing this Digital-to-Analog Converter are two (2) separate options; The MOON MiND music streamer module which is actually a digital 9th input via WiFi or Ethernet connection, and a high quality remote-controlled volume circuit feeding both balanced (XLR) and single-ended (RCA) analog outputs. The MOON 380D is targeted at individuals with computer-based audio setups, large digital music collections or multiple digital sources.
- True 32-bit Digital-to-Analog converter using ESS Technology SABRE32 Ultra DAC / Digital Filter (ES9016) working in 32-bit Hyperstream to achieve unprecedented jitter immunity and low-level linearity via a patented Time Domain Jitter Eliminator
- Digital Audio Signal Processing using M-AJiC32 (MOON Asynchronous Jitter Control in 32-bit mode)
- A virtually jitter-free “1 picosecond” digital clocking system
- Optional MiND (MOON intelligent Network Device) module (9th input) via WiFi or Ethernet input for multi-room streaming
- Optional variable analog outputs (balanced & single-ended) using M-eVOL volume circuit which was originally developed for the MOON Evolution series. Accessible using the remote control, this volume operates in 0.5dB increments. M-eVOL is based on a resistive array configuration with no sonic degradation of the audio signal regardless of the chosen volume setting
- The entire analog stage is a fully balanced differential circuit for increased dynamic range and headroom, higher resolution, as well as improved signal-to-noise ratio.
- A very short signal path using a DC servo circuit and proprietary 12dB/octave analog filter
- Separate digital & analog power supplies using 2 independant toroidal transformers with 11 stages of voltage regulation
- Four-layer PCB tracings for a dramatically improved signal-to-noise ratio
- RS-232 port for full unsolicited bidirectional feedback and firmware updates
- 12 Volt trigger outputs for remote operation and IR input for external control
- SimLink controller port allows for 2-way communications between other compatible MOON components
Price and Availability
The Simaudio MOON 380D will be available in April 2012 for $3,900 for the base version; $600 more for variable analog outputs.