Screen Excellence, the ultimate brand for high-performance, acoustically transparent, moire free projection screens, announced the availability of fixed masking screens named TAM, for True Aspect Masking.
Pricing for the 2.37 native aspect ratio projection screen with lateral masks starts at $12,000 for a 70″ wide viewable area. These models are available in standard sizes up to 160″ wide. Custom sizes can be made on quotation.
Much like in a commercial cinema, the Screen Excellence TAM screen is masked to eliminate annoying black or grey bars on the sides of the picture when Cinemascope movies are viewed. Black, acoustically transparent masks roll in from each side to mask down to the picture’s true aspect ratio – anywhere from Widescreen (2.37:1) to NTSC (4:3). Black masking also improves perceived picture contrast ratio, further enhancing viewing.
TAM screens also blend better with the decor. The frame is the narrowest on the market today at 3.7″ wide all the way around, compared with double or triple that for most other masking screens. Depth is an incredible 5.3″ leaving more room for a bigger picture and more seating in the room.
TAM screens can be controlled in a variety of ways to suit various home theater control parameters. Screens are available in 2.37:1 aspect ratio and standard viewing area widths starting at 70″. TAM is the most elegant and design-friendly fixed masking screen on the market today.
StJohn Group’s John Caldwell summarized, “Following our successful brand launch with Screen Excellence at CES, we are excited to now be shipping fixed masking screens to satisfy the needs of our customers.
“StJohn Group pioneered the market for acoustically transparent screens in North America, and now more custom installation resellers and their customers recognize the advantages of acoustically transparent screens, and want them in every type of configuration. Built from the ground up for today’s digital projectors, we are proud that Screen Excellence offers the very best quality of acoustically neutral projection screen formulations on the market today.”
Key features of TAM Screens
- Built from the ground up for today’s constant height projection systems.
- Eliminates annoying black or grey bars on the sides of the picture for dramatically increased perceived contrast ratio.
- Fully adjustable Acoustically Transparent (AT) black masking curtains from 2.37 to 1.33 and anywhere in between for widest range of cinemascope or other aspect ratios.
- Can be fitted with either EN1 or EN2 award winning, acoustically neutral, moire free, non-hotspotting matte white screen materials.
- Includes AT black backing layer to eliminate light blow back from back wall
- Smallest form factor on the market today. 3.7″ wide super study frame, 5.3″ total depth. Can’t discern from everyday fixed frame installations when curtains are stowed.
- Lightweight. Typical 120″ wide model only 225 lbs.
- Acoustically transparent masking panels elegantly roll in from the sides like commercial movie theater curtains.
- Hides all three front speakers, even subwoofers, without any frequency roll off or comb filtering. 1.5 db of level loss due to screen; 1 db loss due to AT masks.
- Rich velour covered frame with radiused design for optimal absorption of over-scanned images.
- Available in sizes from 70-160″ wide (viewable area). Custom sizes and aspect ratios available for quotation.
- Whisper quiet, independent left and right motors assure precise alignment.
- Wide range of motor control options: IR, RF, RS232.
About Screen Excellence
Screen Excellence offers the most advanced Acoustically Transparent (A.T.) screens available today. Using the proprietary Enlightor woven screen fabrics, their state-of-the-art screens provide flawless picture quality and acoustic transparency, superior to perforated vinyl screens or other woven screen materials. Only the best finish, build quality and mechanical features are standard for Screen Excellence.
Behind this rich heritage is Patrice Congard, founder and CEO of Screen Excellence. Mr. Congard is the originator of the modern acoustically transparent screen and is a leading innovator of the technology. His entire career has been focused on delivering superb engineering solutions to a variety of professional and consumer audio projects. The development of acoustically transparent screens is the natural solution he envisioned after providing loudspeaker systems that had to be accommodated around screens – not in their natural position, which, as in commercial applications, he believes to be behind the screen.
About StJohn Group
StJohn Group, Inc. is not a typical American distributor. Only representing lines offering exclusive North American distribution opportunity allows the company to closely work with its partners on a holistic approach to brand development. Unlike most U.S. distributors, StJohn Group handles all facets of sales and marketing, including literature and collateral creative and production, advertising creative and buys, public relations, web sites, business development and long range market planning.
Based in Bellingham, WA with a satellite office in Ventura, CA, StJohn Group has seventeen regional representative firms and an active roster of more than 850 specialty A/V dealers.
StJohn Group specializes in products and services for the custom integration (CI) market — both residential and commercial — and represents Artcoustic and Cabasse Loudspeakers, Cineversum projectors, iSky Panels and Screen Excellence in North America and the Caribbean.
Phone: (805) 647-3779 Fax: (805) 856-2212
4396 Saddlestone Drive, Bellingham, WA 98226
Phone: (360) 756-2205 Fax: (360) 647-1087