DisplaySearch Report Indicates Samsung Takes the Top Position in Global TV Units and Revenues
DisplaySearch, the worldwide leader in display market research and consulting, released Q3’06 TV shipments and revenues by technology, brand, region, size and resolution for 47 different TV brands as part of its Quarterly Global TV Shipment and Forecast Report.
Global TV unit shipments grew 7% Q/Q and 3% Y/Y to 45.5 million units. Average TV prices were up 25% Y/Y to $548 as flat panel TVs continue to take share. Sequentially, however, prices were down 3% as LCD TV prices fell 8% and plasma TV prices fell 7% Q/Q to stimulate demand. With units and prices rising Y/Y, TV revenues were up 28%, rising 4% Q/Q to $24.9 billion.
By region, China and North America drove unit growth, up 17% and 8% Y/Y, respectively, to 9.4M and 9.3M units. This rapid growth more than offset weakness in Europe and Japan, which were down 16% and 7% Y/Y due to unrealized World Cup expectations and channel inventory concerns. Every TV technology experienced Q/Q declines in Europe and Japan. Highlight of the release include:
- Plasma TVs were down in all regions–except North America, which was up 38% Q/Q–leading to 4% Q/Q and 45% Y/Y growth to 2.3M units.
- LCD TVs were up 15% Q/Q and 99% Y/Y to 10.8M units and enjoyed 66% growth in China and 35% growth in North America, offsetting 5% and 2% declines in Europe and Japan.
- MD RPTVs had a strong quarter, up 24% Q/Q and 16% Y/Y to 0.74M units. North America was up 36% Q/Q and accounted for 91% of the volume. DLP overtook 3LCD for the first time since Q3’05 earning a 47% share on 34% Q/Q and 16% Y/Y growth.
- The flat panel (LCD+PDP) share exceeded 50% for the first time in North America on a unit basis and in China on a revenue basis.
- The HDTV share of all TVs sold in Q3’06 reached 28% in Q3’06, up from 14% in Q3’05 and 26% in Q2’06. North America and Europe each exceeded 50% for the first time in Q3’06.
- The digital share rose from 37% in Q2’06 to 41% in Q3’06 led by Japan and North America at 77% and 71% respectively. Digital CRT shipments rose from 10% to 15% worldwide in Q3’06.
The full press release is available online at http://www.displaysearch.com/press/?id=1014
DisplaySearch, an NPD Group company, has a core team of 37 employees located in North America and Asia who produce a valued suite of FPD-related market forecasts, technology assessments, surveys, studies and analyses. The company also organizes influential events worldwide. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, DisplaySearch has regional operations in Chicago, Houston, Kyoto, San Diego, San Jose, Seoul, Shenzhen, Taipei and Tokyo, and the company is on the web at http://www.displaysearch.com.