Verizon Wireless and Samsung Mobile announced the Samsung Intensity II (model SCH-U460) is available online today and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in the coming weeks for $49 (with 2-year agreement/MIR). Made partly from recycled plastic, the feature-rich Intensity II boasts a horizontal slide-out QWERTY keyboard, a music player, one-touch access to social networking sites, and a 1.3-megapixel infrared camera with night vision.
The Intensity II's design includes an exterior battery cover made from 35 percent post-consumer materials, which is recycled plastic extracted from water bottles or other recycled polycarbonate materials.
For customers interested in calculating their own carbon footprints, the Intensity II offers an eco-calculator to track car fuel mileage, efficiency and estimated amount of carbon dioxide emitted, along with a calendar and ringtones.
Key features and specifications:
- Full horizontal slide-out QWERTY keyboard with external numeric keypad
- 2.2-inch QVGA (240 x 320 pixels) screen
- 1.3-megapixel infrared camera with night vision; series and divided shot modes; and color effects, including normal, black and white, antique, negative, aqua and green
- Voice commands and advanced speech recognition
- Bluetooth® technology with support for headset, hands-free, stereo, phonebook access, basic imaging, object push for vCard and vCalendar, and serial port
- microSD card slot with support for up to 32 GB (card purchased separately)
- Built-in music player
- One-touch contact list to access frequently used contacts instantly
- Full suite of messaging options, including text, picture and voice messaging; Mobile IM; Mobile Chat; Mobile Email; and Mobile Web
- Social Beat application offers customers a single point for accessing social networking sites, including Facebook®, Twitter and MySpace®; e-mail; content feeds and instant messaging
- VZ Navigator® capabilities for customers to receive audible turn-by-turn directions to millions of points of interest and share the directions with others
- Media Center provides access to downloadable games, ringtones, wallpapers, location-based services and more
- Personal organizer and tools with calendar, calculator with currency converter, alarm clock, world clock and stop watch
- Supports Verizon Wireless services, including V CAST Music with Rhapsody® (subscription and PC downloads only), V CAST Song ID and VZW Tones
Additional environmental features:
- Packaging partially made from recycled paper and partially printed with soy ink, along with reduced package size, which creates less material to dispose of or recycle and less weight for shipping
- Box: 60 percent recycled paper
- Quick reference guide: 20 percent recycled paper
- High-efficiency charger that alerts when battery is fully charged
- Colors: Deep Gray and Metallic Blue
Price and availability
The Samsung Intensity II is available online today at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in the coming weeks for $49.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
Customers who purchase the Intensity II can donate their old phones and put them to good use with Verizon Wireless' HopeLine® cell phone recycling and refurbishing program. Customers can simply drop off or mail in their old wireless phones and, at the same time, help victims of domestic violence. The used phones are either refurbished or recycled in an environmentally sound way. With the proceeds from the donated phones, Verizon Wireless helps provide wireless phones and airtime to victims of domestic violence, as well as funding and other contributions to non-profit domestic violence shelters and prevention programs across the country.