Samsung announced the Galaxy Tab S2, their thinnest, lightest, flagship 8-inch and 9.7-inch Android tablets. With a Super AMOLED display that delivers vivid, deep and rich colors that bring digital content to life, as well as expandable memory options with 32GB of storage as standard, the Galaxy Tab S2 packs a vast array of features into a slim, stylish and featherweight design. With the Galaxy Tab S2, users will have no trouble taking command of their digital lifestyle, whether on the couch or on the go.
Display and Design
The Galaxy Tab S2 comes in the world’s thinnest and lightest metal frame of its size, highlighted by a vivid display in a sleek form factor. It features:
- Super AMOLED Display: A stunning Super AMOLED display showcases all forms of digital content with striking clarity and sharpness. The 4:3 aspect ratio makes printed content fit more naturally on a digital canvas for a more enjoyable reading experience—whether it’s a website, e-book or digital magazine—and advanced screen technologies such as Adaptive Display automatically adjust screen settings to deliver stunning images.
- Incredibly slim form factor: With a profile of just 5.6mm for both the 9.7-inch and 8.0-inch versions, the Galaxy Tab S2 is Samsung’s thinnest tablet yet, fully 16 percent thinner than its predecessor.
- Amazingly lightweight: Thanks to its slim design, the Galaxy Tab S2 weighs in at a scarcely believable 9.4 oz. (8.0-inch) and 13.8 oz. (9.7-inch).
- Ample storage options: 32GB of standard memory—expandable up to a spacious 128GB—means users can easily take all of their apps, photo and video content wherever they go.
Efficiency and Processing Power
The compact Galaxy Tab S2 also packs a punch, making multitasking and staying productive easier than ever. Whether at home, on the road or in the office, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 empowers connected users to manage their lives directly from their tablet. Among other technologies are:
- Octa-core processor: Blazing processor speeds make toggling through multiple apps and streaming video content lag-free.
- Multi-Window and Pop-Up Window: Multi-Window lets users easily split the screen and run two apps simultaneously. Pop-Up Window allows for quick movement between multiple apps without missing a beat.
- Microsoft Office on-the-go: The Galaxy Tab S2 comes equipped and preloaded with Microsoft Office Solutions for creating, editing, or sharing documents away from home—meaning users can be productive anywhere.
- Fingerprint Scanner: The patented fingerprint scanner incorporates an advanced security sensor, keeping content secure while letting users quickly and easily access their device by simply touching the home key.
- Content for You: Stay informed with a free three-month Next Issue subscription and pre-loaded content from CNN.
The Galaxy Tab S2 is designed as the center of consumers’ connected lives. Key benefits include:
- SideSync 4.0: Easily connect the Galaxy Tab S2 to a Samsung mobile phone or PC, and instantly turn the tablet into a centralized and intuitive command device with no limitations. Users can open and share calendars, messages, notes, and other files across all of their devices. They can instantly drag and drop photos from the Tab S2 to a phone—or answer a phone call right from the tablet’s screen.
- Quick Connect: Cut the cord clutter using Quick Connect to easily search for and connect to nearby compatible Samsung devices, from cameras to printers to friends’ devices. Transfer files, use the Tab S2 as a remote camera viewfinder, or mirror what’s on the tablet on a television screen—no wires necessary.
- Stream TV content directly to the tablet: Using proprietary Bluetooth technology, the Galaxy Tab S2 allows users to stream content directly from a compatible Samsung TV, even when the TV is turned off.
- Third party messaging app support: Through SideSync technology, the Tab S2 offers third-party app support so that conversations from various messaging apps can be pushed from a phone to the tablet, even when the devices are in separate rooms.
Price and Availability (Available September 3, 2015)
- WiFi only: 9.7-inch, 32GB ($499.99) and 8.0-inch ($399.99).
- Color options: Black, White and Gold.
- WiFi and LTE: 9.7-inch, 32GB.
- Color options: Black – AT&T, Sprint, US Cellular, T-Mobile; White – Verizon. Carriers will confirm specific pricing and availability.
|Network||LTE : 700/ 800/ 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900/ 2100/ 2600||LTE : 700/ 800/ 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900/ 2100/ 2600|
|3G : 850/ 900/ 1900/ 2100||3G : 850/ 900/ 1900/ 2100|
|2G : 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900||2G : 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900|
|AP||Quad 1.9GHz + Quad 1.3GHz, Octacore application processor||Quad 1.9GHz + Quad 1.3GHz, Octacore application processor|
|Display||9.7” 2048×1536(QXGA) Super AMOLED||8.0” 2048×1536(QXGA) Super AMOLED|
|OS||Android 5.0 (Lollipop)||Android 5.0 (Lollipop)|
|Camera||8MP AF(rear), 2.1MP(front)||8MP AF(rear), 2.1MP(front)|
|Video||H.263, H.264(AVC), MPEG4, VC-1, WMV7, WMV8, VP8||H.263, H.264(AVC), MPEG4, VC-1, WMV7, WMV8, VP8|
|Recording: QHD(2560×1440)@30fps||Recording: QHD (2560×1440) @30 fps|
|Playback: UHD(3840×2160)@30fps||Playback: UHD (3840×2160) @ 30fps|
|Audio||MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC||MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC|
|Google Mobile Service||Chrome, Gmail, Google Search, Maps, YouTube, Hangouts, Play Store, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Drive, Photos||Chrome, Gmail, Google Search, Maps, YouTube, Hangouts, Play Store, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Drive, Photos|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac MIMO (2.4GHz/5GHz), Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth 4.1 BLE||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac MIMO (2.4GHz/5GHz), Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth 4.1 BLE|
|GPS||GPS, GLONASS||GPS, GLONASS|
|Sensor||Accelerometer, Finger Scanner, Gyroscope, Compass, Hall Sensor, RGB Sensor||Accelerometer, Finger Scanner, Gyroscope, Compass, Hall Sensor, RGB Sensor|
|Memory||3GB(RAM) + 32/64GB internal memory||3GB (RAM) + 32GBinternal memory|
|microSD up to 128GB||microSD up to 128GB|
|Dimension / Weight||169 x 237.3 x 5.6mm, 389g(Wifi)/392g(LTE)||134.8 x 198.6 x 5.6mm, 265g(Wifi)/ 272g(LTE)|
Where to Buy