Creates The Best Way To Watch DVDs on PCs and on the Go
RealNetworks Home Entertainment, Inc., a subsidiary of digital entertainment services company RealNetworks (NASDAQ: RNWK) , announced the immediate consumer availability of RealDVD, the critically acclaimed PC application that allows consumers to easily save their DVDs to their computers. Available for download from http://www.realdvd.com for the introductory price of $29.99, RealDVD provides consumers with a simple way to save, organize and watch their favorite DVDs on their PCs and on the go. RealDVD gives consumers the same rights for their personal DVDs they have enjoyed for more than a decade with CDs: the ability to make a digital copy for playback later without the disc.
“We think RealDVD is a watershed product: Now consumers will be able to enjoy a much richer experience with DVDs they own as well as the discs they’ll purchase in the future,” said Rob Glaser, chairman and CEO of RealNetworks. “At the same time, RealDVD also respects the rights of content owners by preventing illegal copying and sharing of DVDs.”
RealDVD builds on RealNetworks’ history of building software applications that answer the needs of consumers and respect the rights of content holders. As a fully licensed DVD CCA product, RealDVD enables consumers to make legitimate, fair-use copies of the DVDs they own while employing a digital rights management scheme to help prevent illegal copying and sharing.
RealDVD eliminates the hassle of searching through piles of DVD cases to find a missing disc and the disappointment of finding a favorite disc scratched and unplayable. It is ideal for traveling on business or entertaining the kids on a long trip, and laptop users will appreciate improved battery life. Saving DVDs to portable hard drives creates an easy to manage personal library that is great for travel.
- RealDVD saves an exact copy of the DVD image to a PC’s internal or portable hard drive. Users can simultaneously watch and save a DVD
- Saved DVDs are then encrypted and locked again to make sure they cannot be shared or stolen
- Saving DVDs takes an average of 10-40 minutes, and takes up roughly 4-8 gigabytes of space
- RealDVD lets users pause and resume playback where they left off
- Watching a saved movie or TV show with RealDVD uses less battery life than viewing the same content from a physical disc in the drive
- Consumers can browse cover art, genre, title rating and actor information, imported automatically during saving
- Parental controls ensure children only access entertainment that is appropriate for their age
- Fifty percent of U.S. broadband households have more than 50 DVDs in their collections, and last year consumers spent more than $16 billion purchasing DVDs (According to TDG Reports & Screen Digest)
- Hollywood shipped 1.1 billion DVD discs in 2007 — nearly 30 million more than in 2006 (According to Screen Digest)
RealDVD* is available as a free 30-day trial and for purchase from http://www.realdvd.com for a limited-time discount offer of $29.99 ($20.00 off the retail price of $49.99). Additional licenses [up to 4] are available at a discounted price of $19.99 per license.
* Requires the Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista Operating System
RealNetworks, Inc. delivers digital entertainment services to consumers via PC, portable music player, home entertainment system or mobile phone. Real created the streaming media category in 1995 and has continued to lead the market with pioneering products and services, including: RealPlayer, the first mainstream media player to enable one-click downloading and recording of Internet video; the award-winning Rhapsody digital music service, which delivers more than 1 billion songs per year; RealArcade, one of the largest casual games destinations on the Web; and a variety of mobile entertainment services, such as ringback tones, offered to consumers through leading wireless carriers around the world. RealNetworks’ corporate information is located at http://www.realnetworks.com/company.