Now waterproof to 40 Feet with new backlit 16-megapixel sensor, shoots 1080p video and features six LED lights and optional sportmount chest harness
PENTAX announced its 13th-generation Optio WG-2 and Optio WG-2 GPS rugged, waterproof, dustproof and shock-resistant digital compact cameras, which feature more durability than ever before as well as improved image quality in high-sensitivity shooting and Full 1080p HD movie recording capability over last year's Optio WG-1.
The Optio WG-2 and Optio WG-2 GPS are equipped with a new back-illuminated CMOS image sensor that offers lower noise even when camera is set to higher sensitivities. With sensitivity as high as ISO 6400 and 16.0 effective megapixels, this image sensor delivers super high-resolution images. A new imaging engine also applies the latest super-resolution technology to image processing operations to further ensure sharp, clear, high-resolution images. These models also feature a new Handheld Night Snap mode, which captures four images of the same scene, then automatically produces a single blur-free, composite image.
Both cameras feature an extra-large, high-resolution 3.0 inch LCD monitor with wide 16:9 aspect ratio and approximately 460,000 dots of resolution. An Anti-Reflection (AR) coating minimizes annoying glare and reflections to assure a sharp, clear on-screen images even under harsh sunlight, while its wide-view design offers a clear view of the monitor from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically, making it particularly useful in low and high angle shooting.
Other major improvements in the latest models include:
- High-resolution Full HD 1080p movie recording (1920 x 1080 pixels) at 30 FPS with high quality h.264 compression.
- Waterproof to depths of 40 feet.
- Digital Microscope mode with one additional macro LED (total of six lights) for excellent macro lighting of subjects as close as 1 cm.
- A newly designed GPS module that delivers a shorter time lag before GPS start-up and longer battery life during GPS activation.
- A new optional SportMount Chest Harness that straps-on the WG-2 for hands-free HD movie capture of every exciting moment of adventure on land, sea or in the air.
Other outstanding WG-2 features include:
- Shockproof design protects camera drop up to 5 feet.
- Crushproof construction withstands weights up to 220 LBF (pound-force).
- Coldproof to sub-freezing temps of minus 10 degrees C (14 degrees F).
- Dustproof design protects the camera from dry, dusty environments.
- Wide angle 5X internal optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent).
- Large 3 inch LCD features HVGA resolution (460,000 dots) and anti-reflective coating on its protective cover.
- Hardened cover with SP coating protects internal lens elements.
- An HDMI port (Micro, Type-D) plays back beautiful, high definition images and video on HDTVs.
- Pixel Track, Digital, and Movie Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images and video.
- Fast Face Detection technology including Smile Capture and Blink Detection to capture perfect portraits.
- A Handheld Night Snap mode produces a single blur-free, composite image from four images of the same scene.
- An autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus.
- Extended dynamic range helps bring out extra highlight and shadow detail.
- PENTAX infrared remote control compatibility for remote shooting.
- GPS and non-GPS versions are available in several new stylish color options.
Newest Digital Cameras
Pentax Digital Cameras
Daily Camera Deals
Price and Availability
- The PENTAX Optio WG-2 digital camera will be available March 2012 in black or vermillion red for $349.99
- The PENTAX Optio WG-2 GPS digital camera will be available March 2012 in shiny orange or gloss white for $399.99
The new SportMount Chest Harness should be available late spring or early summer 2012 for $49.95.