PENTAX announced the 16-megapixel Optio RZ18 digital compact camera which features a high-performance 18X optical zoom lens covering focal lengths from 25mm wide angle to 450mm super-telephoto (in the 35mm format). The extra-wide zoom range captures a wide range of subjects and scenes — from spectacular landscapes to fast-action sports events. It also offers high-quality macro shooting down to just four centimeters from the subject and a digital wide function for an ultra-wide-angle image (equivalent to an image taken with an approximately 19mm lens in the 35mm format) from two separate images. An Intelligent Zoom function further extends the zoom range to approximately 130 times to cover the focal length of an approximately 3250mm super-telephoto lens (in the 35mm format).
With 16 effective megapixels, a high-performance smc PENTAX zoom lens and the advanced image processing system — a system that uses the latest super-resolution technology to optimize image quality through meticulous section-by-section treatment of the captured image — the Optio RZ18 delivers well-defined, high-quality images with extra-fine resolution. Even when images are enlarged to large sizes, the user is assured of sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
The Optio RZ18 features an HVGA high-resolution 3-inch color LCD monitor. This extra-large monitor provides a clear view of images and menus so photographers easily may check captured images and menu settings. The Optio RZ18 also offers a setting to magnify the letters displayed, by which users can further enhance the legibility of the menus and the operability of the camera.
With a sensor-shift Shake Reduction (SR) mechanism and Pixel Track SR, the Optio RZ18's dual shake reduction effectively reduces camera shake to a minimum for more blur-free images even under shake-prone shooting conditions such as when using the telephoto lens or when shooting at sunset or in indoor scenes. Other SR options include traditional high ISO Digital SR and Movie SR for steady video recording.
- Widescreen HD video in 720p at 30 frames per second.
- Movie Shake Reduction automatically compensates camera shake during movie shooting with the help of exclusive software
- Auto Picture mode automatically selects the most appropriate shooting mode for a given subject or scene by accurately assessing various photographic conditions on and around the subject
- Face Detection AF & AE function accurately detects as many as 32 faces within the image field, then catches them in sharp focus and optimum exposure in a mere 0.03 seconds
- Smile Capture mode automatically releases the shutter the moment the camera detects the subject's smile
- Blink Detection function that warns the photographer when the subject's eyes close at the time of shutter release.
- Upgraded Pet mode for automatic detection of dog and cat faces
- Wireless remote-control shooting using an optional PENTAX infrared remote controllers
- Burst shooting of up to 40 images, at a maximum speed of approximately 9 images per second
- Digital filters, including Miniature, Toy Camera, and more to add creative visual effects
- Choice of three image ratios (4:3, 16:9 and 1:1) to accommodate different shooting applications
- D-Range setting to prevent whitewashed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas in an image
- Digital Panorama mode to effortlessly create a single panoramic picture from as many as three images
- Image viewing, editing and filing software included: MediaImpression 3.1 for PENTAX (Windows version compatible with Windows 7) and MediaImpression 2.1 for PENTAX (Macintosh version compatible with Mac OS X 10.7)
- Optimized for use with Eye-Fi wireless memory cards
Price and Availability
The PENTAX Optio RZ18 will available October 2011 in black, pearl white or metallic orange for $299.95.