New Introductory High Definition Camcorders Recommended for New or Intermediate Users
The HDC-HS20, HDC-TM20 and HDC-SD20 are Panasonic’s introductory HD camcorder models, recommended for new or intermediate users wanting an easy-to-use camcorder that still produces beautiful and vivid video worthy of sharing with friends and family. All three models feature a 16x optical zoom and a Leica Dicomar lens, but differ in recording media and thus vary slightly in overall size and weight.
The HDC-HS20 is a hybrid model capable of recording onto its internal 80 GB hard disk drive or an SDHC/SD Memory Card (optional accessory). The HDC-TM20 is a twin memory model that can record onto its built-in 16 GB memory or an SDHC/SD Memory Card (optional accessory), and comes in three body colors: black, silver and red. The HDC-SD20 uses an SDHC/SD Memory Card as a recording media and thus is extremely compact and lightweight. All three models also feature AF Tracking.
All Panasonic’s 2009 High Definition camcorder models enable the transfer of recorded data to an Apple Macintosh computer so that recorded video clips can be edited in HD image quality using iMovie software. Other new features of all six High Definition camcorders include:
- Highlight Playback — This new feature is designed for users who want to view recorded images as quickly as possible. It detects zooming, panning, scene changes, increases and decreases in sound level, faces and more in recorded images as “highlights” by using Panasonic’s Intelligent Index System.
- Auto Power LCD — Automatically adjusts the brightness of the LCD screen according to the shooting conditions. In indoor dark places, it reduces the LCD brightness to 1/3 the normal level to conserve energy. While in well-lit outdoor locations, the LCD is twice as bright as normal level to make the image on the LCD easier to see in the bright surroundings. Manual adjustments are also possible if the user desires.
- 1.9-sec* Quick Power On — Helps Catch Sudden Shooting Opportunities – When the camcorder is switched on, it is in recording standby and ready to shoot in just 1.9 seconds. This quick power-on time allows the camcorder to stay in standby mode, thus saving energy. When added to the Quick Start mode, which allows the camcorder to start up in just 0.6 seconds, this is an extremely fast camcorder.
- 5-Microphone, 5.1-Channel Surround Sound System — The camcorders feature a 5.1-channel surround sound system with 5 microphones. When the recording is played on a 5.1-channel home cinema system, viewers are surrounded by clear, detailed sound that makes them feel as if they are right in the middle of the action. A Zoom Mic function links the microphone’s action to the camera’s action.
- Networking — The camcorder is compatible with Panasonic’s VIERA Link. Connect it to a VIERA HDTV via an HDMI mini cable, and operate the camcorder using the TV remote control and following on-screen prompts. This adds extra ease and convenience to the fun of viewing full-HD videos.
- SD Networking with VIERA and Blu-ray Disc Player — The VIERA Image Viewer Function lets the user view recorded images on the large screen of a Panasonic VIERA Series Plasma or LCD ** HDTV by simply inserting the SD Memory Card into the SD Memory Card Slot on the TV. This allows instant playback of video clips recorded in the AVCHD format in full-HD quality. Similarly, video recordings can be easily played by using a Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Player***.
Suggested retail prices for all camcorders are as follows:
- $799.95 for the HDC-HS20
- $649.95 for the HDC-TM20
- $599.95 for the HDC-SD20
All models come in black and will be available in April 2009.
* Recording onto an SDHC/SD Memory Card or built-in memory only. In the HS300/TM300/HS250, the time may become longer than 1.9 seconds in the still-image.