Mobile High Speed 3G/UMTS Internet Access and Multiple Forms of Communication Combined in One Compact Handset
Palm Europe Ltd today announced the Palm Treo 500v smartphone which combines multiple forms of communication and multimedia capabilities with high speed 3G/UMTS mobile internet access, allowing users access to popular websites such as MySpace, YouTube and eBay whilst on the move. The new Palm Treo 500v smartphone will initially be available exclusively to Vodafone customers from October.
The Palm Treo 500v smartphone runs on a Windows Mobile 6 standard platform and has a full keyboard, large screen, video streaming capability and a comprehensive multi-messaging functionality covering Instant Messaging, SMS, email and phone and personal information management software in a new design(1). The compact form factor is available in two colours: glacier white and charcoal grey.
It will initially be available to Vodafone customers in Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, the UK and Vodacom customers in South Africa.
John Hartnett, Senior Vice President, Global Markets and Windows Business Unit, Palm Inc, said, “We are pleased to be one of the first partners to provide an internet ready Vodafone live! smartphone. The Treo 500v is priced to enable a broader audience to experience the internet and email on the go. Today’s generation has really embraced the internet as a way of keeping in touch with friends and family, seeking out entertainment and managing their day to day lives. We can offer users the choice to do what they want, how they want, when they want.”
“The new Treo 500v adds a third internet ready Vodafone live! and Microsoft Windows Mobile device to our recently announced Global Handset range,” said Jens Schulte-Bockum, Global Terminals Director, Vodafone Group. “When combined with our high-speed 3G/UMTS network and fast access to the internet, along with great browsing and messaging support, we are confident the Palm Treo 500v will appeal to the growing group of consumers looking for the same functionality and ease of use our business customers continue to enjoy from this type of premium device.”
With the Palm Treo 500v smartphone customers can also manage documents using mobile versions of familiar Microsoft applications like Outlook, Office, and Windows Live for Windows Mobile. In addition users can share the Treo 500v smartphone’s data access with a laptop, so they can stay connected anywhere within wireless coverage.
“With the launch of the Treo 500v smartphone, Palm is delivering the benefits of Windows Mobile 6 to an increasingly broad range of users across Europe, providing them with access to important information and personal applications, such as Windows Live, to help them manage work and life on the move,” said Tony Mestres, General Manager, Microsoft Mobile Communications Business. “This latest phone is another example of our joint commitment to extend the range and choice of Windows Mobile phones on the market for users.”
Treo 500v Features and Benefits
- All-in-one smartphone with messaging, email and web
- Full keyboard for fast and easy typing
- Automatic delivery of Hotmail/MSN, Yahoo!, and Gmail, email as it arrives(1)
- Large, high-resolution screen
- Internet Explorer Mobile full-featured browser(1)
- Access to Google Maps and eBay(1)
- Vodafone live! for news, sports, and entertainment on the go(1)
- 3G/UMTS network
- Planner with address book, calendar, to-do lists, and more
- View Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe PDF files
- Windows Media Player Mobile for music and videos
- 2.0 megapixel camera captures video too
- 150MB of memory, expandable with microSD expansion card(2)
- Windows Mobile 6 Standard software
- Microsoft Direct Push technology for delivery of Outlook email(1)
- Bluetooth wireless technology
- Device available in two colours: glacier white and charcoal grey
About Palm, Inc.
Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM), a leader in mobile computing, strives to put the power of computing in people’s hands so they can access and share their most important information from anywhere. The company’s products for consumers, mobile professionals and businesses include Palm Treo smartphones, Palm handheld computers as well as software, services and accessories.
More information about the Palm Treo 500v smartphone is available at http://www.palm.com.
Palm and Treo are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned by or licensed to Palm, Inc. All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or services of, their respective owners.
(1) Within wireless service coverage area only. Availability and coverage depends upon carrier and the geographic scope of international roaming agreements. Email, messaging and web access requires data services from a mobile service provider at an additional cost.
(2) Sold separately.