Large Bright Display, Integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and Powerful Document Management — All for $299
SUNNYVALE, Calif, Oct. 12, 2005 – For a generation of professionals on the go who want affordable Wi-Fi to access the information that matters to them, Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) today introduced the Palm TX handheld. At an aggressively priced $299 (estimated U.S. street price), the Palm TX handheld features integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless technologies; a large, high-resolution 320×480 color screen; and all the power needed to efficiently access and manage information conveniently on the road away from the desktop.
From professionals to students to home-networking enthusiasts, more than 100 million people worldwide will use Wi-Fi by 2006.(1) Palm sees this number as a huge market of potential buyers for the Palm TX handheld. Palm TX customers can check email, browse the web(2) and download media and documents anywhere they have Wi-Fi access — from corporate offices, networked campuses, parks, hotels, airports, museums, sport stadiums, cafes — even from living-room couches in the 12.5 million wirelessly networked U.S. homes.(3)
“The Palm TX handheld is a sleek, professional product that speaks directly to the needs of our customers — fast, integrated wireless, a large color screen and 128MB of memory(4) at a very competitive price,” said Ken Wirt, senior vice president of worldwide marketing for Palm, Inc. “This is the wireless device customers have been waiting for. There is no other handheld on the market today with the same capabilities at the same affordable price.”
With the Palm TX handheld, Palm continues to improve on the company’s signature ease of use with the following improvements to the overall Wi-Fi user experience:
- Added ability for the device to scan for available networks;
- Improved connection logic to automatically connect to available compatible networks;
- Three steps to easily set up a new network connection; and
- A free 30-day subscription to all T-Mobile Wi-Fi hotspots.
Customers Stay Connected at Work, Home and on the Road
With the versatility of two integrated wireless technologies — Wi-Fi and Bluetooth — Palm TX handheld customers can enjoy the convenience of information they want readily at hand, whether relaxing at a cafe with compatible Wi-Fi service or using their compatible Bluetooth-enabled cell phone with data service to connect to the Internet. New mobile applications optimized for use over Wi-Fi — such as Avvenu and MobiTV — give Palm TX users additional versatility. With Avvenu for Palm Products, users can view, download and share their media and documents they left on their desktops at home or at work. MobiTV (sold separately) allows users to view a wide range of television programs, including news, sports and entertainment, on their Palm TX handhelds.
Additionally, Bluetooth offers the freedom of connecting without cables to a range of compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a desktop for wireless synchronization, a Bluetooth phone to check email or search the web(5), or a Bluetooth GPS system for navigation.
Office Documents on the Go
With DataViz Documents To Go, Palm TX handheld users can view, edit and create Word and Excel compatible files, and view and edit PowerPoint files(6) — rehearse a presentation or check an Excel spreadsheet for sales numbers before a business meeting. The 128MB (approximately 100MB user available) of non-volatile flash memory protects users’ documents and information, even if the device is not charged and the power runs down.
For mobile professionals, the Palm TX handheld provides all the conveniences of managing email on the road. With Wi-Fi access or Bluetooth technology, users can do all of the following:
- Check corporate or campus email as well as personal accounts(7);
- Download, read and edit a Word or Excel report on the fly;
- Send a photo wirelessly;
- Synchronize email on the device with desktop email;
- Synchronize Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks and memos; and
- Work with Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, using VersaMail software, to synchronize email and calendar.(8)
Music, Video and Photos
The handheld’s large 320×480 screen provides a stunning color display for documents, web pages and media such as photos and video. Users can view a movie in landscape mode, and then easily switch to portrait to view Word documents or a schedule.
With a 312MHz processor, the power of the Palm TX handheld means mobile professionals can enjoy songs, photos and video clips to go(9). The handheld comes bundled with Pocket Tunes for playing music files(10) or Podcasts. Users can create and edit play lists, shuffle songs and navigate by album, artist or genre.
The expansion card slot for MultiMediaCard, SD and SDIO formats lets users insert a card from a digital camera and view photos on the large, color display; they even can add transitions between photos and present them as a slideshow. The Palm TX handheld’s compatibility with SD Cards up to 2GB lets road warriors carry a few favorite home videos and be entertained on long trips.(11)
Pricing and Availability
The Palm TX handheld has an estimated U.S. street price of $299 and is available now from the Palm online store (http://store.palm.com), at Palm Retail Stores and at select retail and resellers throughout the world.
About Palm, Inc.
Palm, Inc., a leader in mobile computing, strives to put the power of computing in people’s hands so they can access and share their most important information. The company’s products for consumers, mobile professionals and businesses include Palm handheld computers, Palm Treo smartphones, Palm LifeDrive mobile managers, as well as software, services and accessories.
Palm products are sold through select Internet, retail, reseller and wireless operator channels throughout the world, and at Palm Retail Stores and Palm online stores (http://www.palm.com/store).
More information about Palm, Inc. is available at http://www.palm.com.
(1) A Brief History of WiFi, Economist, June 10, 2004.
(2) An Internet service provider account, email account and subscription may be required for Internet and email access. These services may need to be purchased separately and additional charges may apply. Email account not included.
(3) Home Networks and Residential Gateways: Analysis and Forecasts, Parks Associates, June 2005.
(4) Approximately 100MB user available.
(5) Works within wireless service coverage area only and requires compatible GSM mobile phone with Bluetooth wireless technology, data service from a mobile service provider and ISP, sold separately.
(6) PowerPoint support for Macintosh is View only.
(7) VPN may be required.
(8) Requires Exchange Server 2003 and access enabled by IT administrator.
(9) Expansion card required for most MP3s and video. Sold separately.
(10) Expansion card required for Macintosh, sold separately. Internet download may be required.
(11) SD card sold separately.Where to Buy