Onkyo today announced the fully loaded 9.2-channel TX-NR929 Network A/V Receiver to crown its mid-range lineup along with the 7.2-channel TX-NR828 Network A/V Receiver. Both models are THX Select2 Plus certified and include built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology for universal wireless audio streaming.
The TX-NR929 Network A/V Receiver offers 11.2 multichannel pre-outs and DTS Neo:X upmixing for surround-sound playback through up to 11 channels. If preferred, the user can assign four of the nine available channels to drive audio in Zone 2 and Zone 3 simultaneously. The receiver also has an extra HDMI output for sending high-def video to a second display. Multi-zone entertainment is managed via smartphone app, which encompasses the selection of online streaming services, internet radio channels, and network audio files.
As well as having the power to steer high-res movie soundtracks through nine channels at theater-reference volumes, the receiver is loaded with high-end features to optimize two-channel performance. Pre-processing incorporates three 192kHz/24-bit TI Burr-Brown DACs (with one stereo DAC per front channel in Differential DAC Mode). Amplification comes courtesy of Onkyo’s WRAT (Wide Range Amp Technology) and discrete Three-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry, a combination that preserves a distinctively musical sound even at high volumes.
Audiophiles wishing to bi-amp their front speakers can find performance increases from Onkyo’s proprietary Digital Processing Crossover Network. Digital Signal Processing splits the audio signal very precisely into separate high- and low-frequency signals, feeding them to the appropriate speaker drivers. This all but eliminates frequency overlap at the crossover point for a more transparent stereo image.
Delivering a similarly high power output, but through 7.2 channels, the TX-NR828 Network A/V Receiver includes 4K passthrough and upscaling, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi technology, Audyssey DSX upmixing and Audyssey MultEQ room acoustic equalization. A full complement of analog and digital A/V connections-including 7.2 multichannel pre-outs and a phono stage-provide the flexibility for user customization. The receiver offers both Powered Zone 2 outputs and Zone 2/3 line-outs to deliver network audio sources to an existing hi-fi system in third zone.
Like its larger sibling, this A/V receiver is very simple to set up and use, with an icon-based overlaid graphical on-screen display and InstaPrevue video switching technology. Hybrid Standby, meanwhile, preserves a network connection and HDMI passthrough while the home theater sleeps, allowing the use of TV and media players with the receiver powered down.
- Built-in Wi-Fi to enable lossless audio streaming from iPhone and Android devices, as well as app-controllable 192 kHz/24-bit FLAC, Apple Lossless, Dolby TrueHD, LPCM, and DSD streaming from NAS and personal computer (via network and DLNA)
- Onboard Bluetooth technology for fast and convenient audio streaming
- Passthrough of 4K Ultra HD content via HDMI, and upscaling of lower-resolution video to 4K with Qdeo processing technology from Marvell
- Audyssey’s premium MultEQ XT32 room acoustic equalization on the TX-NR929, and Audyssey MultEQ on the TX-NR828
- Upmixing solutions comprising DTS Neo:X (TX-NR929 only), Audyssey DSX, and Dolby Pro Logic IIz
- Nine HDMI inputs (including frontside MHL) and two outputs (TX-NR929); and eight HDMI in (including MHL) and two out (TX-NR828)
Price and Availability