Onkyo just announced three identical looking top-of-the-line RZ Series home theater components, which include the 9.2-channel (TX-RZ1100) and 11.2-channel (TX-RZ3100) THX Select2 Plus-certified A/V receivers and the THX Ultra2 Plus-certified 11.2-channel Network A/V Controller (PR-RZ5100). Each flagship model mainly differ by the number of internal amplifiers — 9, 11 or zero. Meanwhile, the surround preamplifier/controller boasts a higher THX certification and XLR pre-outs.
Both home theater receivers offer high-current dynamic power to drive large floorstanding loudspeakers with accuracy and control. Users can add additional height or ceiling speakers to unlock the full multi-dimensional experience delivered by built in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, which incorporates DTS Neural:X technology to up-mix lossless multichannel surround formats such as DTS Master Audio, to emulate height effects and give listeners a 3D experience that’s close to a native object-based soundtrack.
All three units include Zone 2 pre outs with independent HDMI output and Zone3 pre out along with 11.2 channel preamp RCA outputs, though only the PR-RZ5100 features balanced XLR connectors. The TX-RZ1100 and TX-RZ3100 feature Zone 2 and 3 powered outputs for driving speakers in other rooms. Additional multi-room wireless audio capabilities are offered via optional FireConnect.
All products offer Google Cast, AirPlay, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Spotify, TIDAL, TuneIn, and Pandora with any app-based audio entertainment cast seamlessly to the theater room and beyond using a user-friendly Onkyo Remote application.
Both the TX-RZ3100 and the TX-RZ1100 A/V receivers feature a new Onkyo Hi-Current Digital Amplification system that pairs with AccuEQ and AccuReflex technologies to optimally balanced and phase-align sound any listening space. The three models feature premium AKM 384kHz/32-bit digital-to-analog conversion technology and VLSC noise-free processing on all channels, which removes pulse-noise for sound that’s true to the source, while delivering a level of richness and emotional heft that make music and TV entertainment an amazing experience.
All three products feature separated digital and analog circuitry to minimize interference, custom low-hum transformers, and bespoke audio-grade capacitors for smooth and instantaneous power, while componentry and attention to detail throughout reflects the products’ flagship status.
Each include HDCP 2.2 compatibility and a host of 4k video features over HDMI including BT.2020 color, High Dynamic Range, 4:4:4 color space, and 4K/60 Hz should the user choose to update their display or projector in the future.
Built with custom integration in mind, each Onkyo RZ Series component contains features to make installation and integration with control systems easy. Connectivity options include RS-232, IR and 12v triggers as well as PC setup, detachable power cables and optional rack kits, simplifying installation. Finally, the RZ Series is backed by a three-year warranty and features priority customer support.
- Power Output (TX-RZ1100 & TX-RZ3100 Receivers)
- 200 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1-Channel Driven, FTC)
- 140 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2-Channels Driven, FTC)
- Dynamic Power (TX-RZ1100 & TX-RZ3100 Receivers)
- 320 W (3 Ohms, Front)
- 270 W (4 Ohms, Front)
- 160 W (8 Ohms, Front)
- Onkyo High-Current Digital Amplification for Smooth Low-Distortion Power
- Audio-Grade Capacitors, Separate Transformer for Standby
- Separated Digital and Analog Circuitry to Reduce Interference
- Extruded Metal Heat Sink with Polycarbonate Cooling Fan
- Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
- VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) Noise-free Signal Processing for All Channels
- PLL (Phase Locked Loop) Jitter-Cleaning Circuitry for S/PDIF Audio
- THX Select2 Plus Certification (TX-RZ1100 & TX-RZ3100 Receivers)
- THX Ultra2 Plus Certification (PR-RZ5100 Preamp only)
- Native DTS:X and Dolby Atmos to 7.2.4 Channels (11.2 models)
- Native DTS:X and Dolby Atmos to 5.2.4 Channels (9.2 model)
- DTS Neural:X Upmixing for Legacy Multichannel Formats
- Google Cast, AirPlay, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth App Streaming
- AccuEQ Room Calibration with AccuReflex Technology
- FireConnect Multi-Room Wireless Technology
- Separate 384 kHz/32-bit AK4490 Stereo DAC (Front L/R), 2 x 768 kHz/32-bit AK4458 Multichannel DACs (Surround Channels)
- Discrete 192 kHz/24-bit AK4388 Stereo DACs (x2) for Zone 2 and Zone 3
- Multiple 32-bit Digital Signal Processing Engines
- HDMI Supports 4K/60 Hz, High Dynamic Range, 4:4:4 Color Space, and HDCP 2.2-protected Video
- HDMI 8 In (1 Front), Main Out, Zone 2 Out (HDCP 2.2/HDR)
Price and Availability
- TX-RZ1100 (9.2-channel) THX Select2 Plus Network A/V Receiver – $2,199
- TX-RZ3100 (11.2-channel) THX Select2 Plus Network A/V Receiver – $3,199
- PR-RZ5100 (11.2-channel) THX Ultra2 Plus Network A/V Controller – $2,399
Where to Buy