Nikon’s smallest digital SLR combines a 10.2-megapixel CCD with a simple, intuitive operation designed to take great, high-resolution pictures for everyone.
Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the D40X, a new digital SLR incorporating a 10.2-megapixel CCD. The D40X is scheduled to launch worldwide at March 29, 2007 and is a sister model to the D40, which has a 6.1-megapixel CCD.
While maintaining the compact size and portability of the D40 camera body, the D40X produces even more outstanding, detailed pictures thanks to its 10.2-megapixel CCD and cutting-edge digital technologies. Its resolution power makes it easy for users to print up very large sizes or crop aggressively without losing any fine details. The D40X is loaded with everything you need for truly amazing images: a 10.2-megapixel CCD, Nikon’s exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II, an improved Image Processing Engine and superb Auto White Balnce. Together with a world-famous Nikkor lens, these features combine to ensure perfect exposure, refined details and natural, vivid colors.
The D40X shares the D40’s ergonomic design and streamlined interface, which means the same intuitive operation that’s simple and fun – even for entry-level users. The bright and clear viewfinder ensures precise composition, while the 2.5-inch large LCD monitor utilizes an easy-to-use menu system and a wide viewing angle so that everyone can navigate their settings and view their images with ease. There is also a handy built-in Help menu: simply press a button and useful information on key features is displayed on the LCD monitor.
The D40X is fast. Its near-instant power-up (0.18 second) and fast, reliable responses help photographers act on the moment, while the continuous shooting mode lets photographers easily capture up to 100 JPEG images of action as fast as 3 frames* per second. The camera’s razor-sharp autofocus ensures crisp images for a wide variety of photographic scenes.
*The fastest frame rates can be achieved by choosing manual focus, rotating the mode dial to S or M and selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 s. or faster, using defaults for all other settings.
Flash photography is simple with the D40X because the camera employs Nikon’s market-leading i-TTL flash control, which evaluates ideal flash exposure automatically and accurately, even in difficult lighting situations.
Eight Digital Vari-Program modes offer creative shooting options that are optimized for common shooting situations. Fun, fast and simple, they are as easy to use as rotating the mode dial. For further control over aperture and shutter speed, P/S/A/M modes are available.
Exclusive in-camera image editing features are available in the Retouch menu. One of the main features is Nikon’s exceptional D-lighting, which brings out details usually lost in underexposed areas of an image while retaining the proper exposure in brighter areas. Photographers can also correct red-eye easily, or use Monochrome effects to change an image to Black-and-white, Sepia tone or Cyanotype.
Some of the D40X’s major improvements include an even longer-lasting battery that allows up to 520 images* per charge (470 images* for the D40), faster continuous shooting at 3 frames per second (2.5 fps for the D40) and a wider ISO sensitivity of 100 to 1600, plus HI 1 (200 to 1600 plus HI 1 for the D40).
* CIPA standards
While it inherits many advanced digital and optical technologies from professional models, the D40X and its sister model, the D40, are Nikon’s smallest, most compact digital SLR cameras. By offering everyone mobility, ease-of-use and incredible pictures with great resolution, the D40X welcomes everyone to the world of Nikon digital SLR photography.
Intuitive, simple and trouble-free operation
- The most compact Nikon digital SLR ever, featuring intuitive controls and ergonomics designed for everyone
- A large 2.5-inch LCD monitor with easy-to-view menus, large fonts and careful color schemes for easy preview and setting changes
- Bright and clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition
- Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery that allows up to 520 images* on a single charge (*CIPA standards)
- Handy assist images that help photographers select the right camera settings
- Optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 for easy remote shutter release
Superior image quality and resolution
- Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor, producing 3,872 x 2,592-pixel images
- High-precision digital image processing algorithms for natural-looking pictures with faithful color and tone reproduction
- Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II for ideal exposures in almost any lighting condition
- Variable Center-weighted metering and Spot metering centered on the active focus area
- Auto White Balance for natural colors, plus six different manual white balance settings and user-defined preset white balance
Fast and precise responses
- Quick 0.18 second power-up to respond to every photographic opportunity
- Fast continuous shooting mode enables up to 100 JPEG images (FINE L-size or smaller) at 3 frames* per second
- The fastest frame rates can be achieved by choosing manual focus, rotating the mode dial to S or M and selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 s. or faster, using defaults for all other settings.
- Advanced three-area AF system and refined algorithms for fast, efficient and precise autofocus
- Versatile shutter speed control ranging from 30 to 1/4000 s., plus bulb
Accurate automated and manual control for predictable results
- Eight Digital Vari-Programs that adjust camera settings automatically for incredible scene-specific pictures. Selections include Auto, Auto (Flash Off), Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, and Night Portrait
- Manual controls over shutter and aperture: P (Programmed Auto), S (Shutter-priority Auto), A (Aperture-priority Auto) and M (Manual)
- Automatic and manual control over ISO sensitivity from ISO 100 to 1600, as well as HI 1 (manual only)
- Simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG basic data for the same image
- Built-in Flash with Nikon’s dependable i-TTL flash control, supporting Auto flash, Red-eye reduction, Slow sync, Rear curtain sync and Flash exposure compensation
Retouch Menu for creative in-camera image edits and effects
- Selections include D-lighting, Red-eye correction, Trim, Monochrome (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype), Filter effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Color balance), Small picture and Image overlay
Seamless integration with Nikon Total Digital Imaging System
- Fully compatible (autofocus is supported) with AF-S and AF-I Nikkor lenses, which are equipped with an autofocus motor (Also compatible with most of the world-famous F-mount Nikkor lenses when in manual focus mode)
- Supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System when using the SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-R200 or the R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight system for accurate exposures via i-TTL flash and versatile wireless operation
- Nikon’s PictureProject software to share, organize and edit pictures with ease.
- Capture NX software (available separately) for creative photo editing with NEF (RAW), JPEG and TIFF images. Thanks to U Point technology, by Nik Software Inc., radical and subtle image enhancements are as easy as a few clicks
Nikon Digital SLR Camera D40X Specifications
|Type of camera||Single-lens reflex digital camera|
|Effective pixels||10.2 million|
|Image Sensor||RGB CCD, 23.6 x 15.8 mm; total pixels: 10.75 million, Nikon DX format|
|Image Size (pixels)||3,872 x 2,592 [L], 2,896 x 1,944 [M], 1,936 x 1,296 [S]|
|ISO Sensitivity||100 to 1,600 in steps of 1 EV with additional setting one step over 1,600|
|Storage Media||SD memory card, SDHC compliant|
|Storage System||Compressed NEF (RAW): 12-bit compression, JPEG: JPEG baseline compliant|
|File System||Exif 2.21, Compliant DCF 2.0 and DPOF|
|White Balance||Auto (TTL white-balance with 420-pixel RGB sensor), six manual modes with fine-tuning and preset white balance|
|LCD Monitor||2.5-in., 230,000-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment|
|Playback Function||1 frame; Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments); Magnifying playback; Slide show; Histogram indication; Highlight point display; Auto image rotation|
|Delete Function||Card format, All frames delete, Selected frames delete|
|Video Output||NTSC or PAL|
|Interface||High-speed USB: Mass Storage and MTP/PTP selectable|
|Text Input||Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input available with LCD monitor and multi selector; stored in Exif header|
|Compatible Lenses*1||Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor
1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported,
2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus,
3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus,
4) Other AF Nikkor*2/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II,
5): Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
*1. IX-Nikkor lenses can not be used
*2. Excluding lenses for F3AF
|Picture Angle||Equivalent in 35mm  format is approx. 1.5 times lens focal length|
|Viewfinder||Fixed-eyelevel penta-Dach mirror type; built-in diopter adjustment (-1.7 to +0.5m-1)|
|Focusing Screen||Type B BriteView Clear Matte screen Mark V with superimposed focus brackets|
|Viewfinder Frame Coverage||Approx. 95% (vertical/horizontal)|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.8x with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0m-1|
*Supplied accessories may differ depending on country or area.
Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. March 2007Where to Buy