Fast, Medium Telephoto Lens with Silent Wave Motor and Nano Crystal Coat
Nikon today announced the AF-S 85mm f/1.4G ED Lens, a fast, mid-telephoto prime (fixed focal length) lens that combines a large maximum aperture of f/1.4 with beautiful blur characteristics and superior rendering, compatible with Nikon FX-format digital-SLR cameras.
The new AF-S 85mm f/1.4G ED is an ultra-fast classic portrait lens boasting amazing picture quality, high performance and the ability to create dramatic background effects (bokeh). This lens is engineered for professional portrait, studio and wedding photographers wanting to shoot at fast maximum apertures while retaining the highest performance. The 85mm lens is also well suited for portraits and low-light shooting situations because of its ability to create a shallow depth of field with exacting sharpness and detail.
The AF-S 85mm f/1.4 is optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both FX and DX-format D-SLR cameras, and features two focus modes, M/A (manual-priority autofocus) and M (manual) to further enhance versatility and adapt to a shooters needs. Additional features include Internal Focus (IF) that allows the lens to focus without changing the barrel length, Nano Crystal Coat to reduce instances of ghosting and flare, and a rugged construction build to endure aggressive field use.
- A fast, high-performance mid-telephoto 85mm fixed focal length lens with a maximum aperture of f/1.4 that offers superior image quality
- Adoption of a maximum aperture of f/1.4 and rounded diaphragm (9 blades) enables the expression of bright and beautiful blur characteristics. The lens exhibits excellent rendering capability with shooting all distances, from close-up to infinity, making it especially suited to portrait photography. It is also an excellent choice for shooting in relatively dark situations, such as indoors or for capturing night landscapes.
- A new optical design that makes the most of the performance expected of the latest fast fixed focal length NIKKOR lens
- Nano Crystal Coat adopted to significantly reduce ghost and flare
- Equipped with a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for extremely quiet autofocusing
- Equipped with two focus modes, M/A and M, as well as a new and improved manual focus drive mechanism
- The lens offers two focus modes, M/A (autofocus with manual override) and M (manual). In addition, the new and improved manual focus drive mechanism reduces manual focus time lag for improved manual focus operation in M/A mode.
- Nikon's internal focusing (IF) system has been adopted with no increase in the length of the lens
Price and Availability
The ultra-fast AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G will be available starting in September 2010 for $1,699.95.