Naim Audio today released their first wireless speaker system called mu-so, which features six 75-watt digital amplifiers driving six custom-designed Naim speaker drivers. It’s an integrated wireless music system, designed to deliver a truly musical performance from sources as diverse as streaming solutions, tablets, USB sticks, mobile phones and MP3 players. It can work as a stand-alone system or be part of a Naim or AirPlay multiroom system.
Mu-so can stream high resolution better than CD quality music from an array of devices including smartphones and tablets as well as laptops and other storage devices. Its advanced connectivity includes AirPlay, UPnP (Universal Plug ‘n’ Play), Bluetooth (aptX), internet radio and native support for popular streaming services. It will also boost the sound of your TV, set top box or games console through a digital input or take audio from and charge an MP3 player or iPod/iPhone via USB or a 3.5mm analogue input.
The internal speaker cabinet is wooden for acoustic performance while the aluminium skin offers extra dampening for a distortion free sound. The silk dome tweeters in mu-so replace traditional metal cones found in many wireless speakers and share the same materials as high-end hi-fi speakers. Mu-so uses premium materials and shares a design DNA with their flagship amplification system, Statement. A striking solid extruded aluminium heat sink runs across the length of mu-so, designed to maximise thermal performance, longevity and, above all, sound quality. It is bead-blasted and anodised for a premium finish.
Offering playback of 24bit/192kHz high resolution music, mu-so means music lovers no longer have to compromise sound quality for convenience. A bespoke EQ system can alter the sound performance based upon your living space. Whether mu-so is positioned close to a wall or away from a wall, bespoke settings allow rich bass and treble reproduction even at low volumes.
A mu-so control app for iPad, iPhone and iPod as well as Android devices allows you to create playlists and play your favourite albums on the go or from the sofa. Offering simple controls and classic Naim design, the app also allows access to millions of high quality internet radio stations. The new control app will be available to download for iOS and Android devices in September 2014 and will be compatible with existing Naim streaming products as well as mu-so.
From AirPlay to high quality Bluetooth aptX to UPnP Wi-Fi streaming, mu-so is compatible with most portable smart devices and compatible NAS drives. UPnP streaming and AirPlay offer constant, hassle-free sound over your home Wi-Fi network. Mu-so will connect to your home network wirelessly or via a wired connection on an Ethernet port. Either way you will be online and playing music in minutes.
- AirPlay – Stream music from your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch or from iTunes.
- UPnP (Universal Plug ‘n’ Play) – Stream music from a PC, Mac or network-attached storage in high-resolution ‘better than CD’ quality.
- Bluetooth – Pair with a Bluetooth device to instantly play your music. Also compatible with aptX for high-performance audio where supported by the device connecting to Muso.
- Internet Radio – Access thousands of internet radio stations and save your favourite presets for easy access.
- Streaming Services – Native support of streaming services to play millions of songs from your portable device, PC or Mac.
- USB – Play music from and charge your iPhone, iPad, iPod and many other MP3 players and playback from USB sticks.
- Digital Input (Optical) – Boost audio from digital sources such as TVs, set top boxes or games consoles.
- 3.5mm Analogue Input – Play music from other digital and analogue sources including MP3 players.
- Multiroom – Play to multiple Muso devices simultaneously via Airplay or link with other Naim streaming players as part of a Naim multiroom system.
- Six Naim Speaker Drivers – Custom-designed dome tweeters (x2), mid-range (x2) and bass drivers (x2).
- 450W of Amplification – 6 x 75-watt digital amplifiers drive each speaker unit independently.
- Muso control app – Custom-designed Naim app to control Muso and explore music via iPhone, iPad, iPod and Android devices.
- Touch Panel Volume Control – Innovative touch panel volume control (patent-pending) with 11 volume settings plus standby, input and preset selection.
- Remote Control – Remote control to put Muso into standby, adjust volume, change track (next/previous), pause and adjust the base illumination.
- Room Settings – Two different room EQ settings to optimise sound when positioning Muso near or away from room boundary.
- Loudness Control – Muso intelligently boosts bass and treble at low volumes to ensure a full musical experience at all sound levels.
Price and Availability
Naim mu-so will be available September 2014 for $1,500 in four grille color variations (black, orange, red, blue).