modu Unveils Its Family of Mobile Phone Products and Gears up for the Upcoming 2009 Commercial Launch
modu, inventor of the world’s lightest mobile phone, today unveiled its first modu jackets portfolio for the modu phone. The much anticipated modu jackets complement the modu phone, and are the first of many jackets that modu will introduce in 2009. These modu jackets will be commercially available beginning in the second quarter of this year as modu rolls out its mobile phone and ecosystem for the first time.
At the heart of the modu ecosystem is a tiny, modular and sleek mobile phone. In addition to complete mobile functionality, the modu phone is a music player and a mass storage device containing 2 GB of internal memory. The innovative modu phone presents a bold graphical user interface and a unique seven-key keypad to perform basic functions even without a modu jacket. For added functionality and style, users can easily slip the modu phone into a range of modu jackets. This modu ecosystem offers boundless — and affordable — possibilities.
|Left to right: modu classic jacket; modu night jacket; the modu phone; modu express jacket; and modu street jacket|
The new modu jacket lineup includes:
- modu classic jacket: designed to fit the everyday needs of a modern lifestyle, this jacket carries all essential mobile communication features with an air of elegance and fine taste
- modu night jacket: inspired by the nightlife scene, this jacket includes futuristic styling with an edgy keypad, flashing lights, night mode imaging and a unique graphical user interface
- modu express jacket: this jacket transforms the modu phone and user interface with a rainbow of fun, playful flavors
- modu street-art jacket: capturing the expressive and vibrant street art scene, this jacket features stereo speakers and dedicated music keys for a powerful music experience
“modu is turning the notion of a ‘one-size-fits-all’ mobile phone experience on its ear,” said Dov Moran, founder and chief executive officer of modu. “Consumers want a mobile phone that can keep up with their dynamic lifestyles. The combination of the eye-catching modu phone with the new modu jackets offers not only personalized style but affordable updates without the costly expense of buying a new phone.”
More modu news on the horizon at Mobile World Congress
The unveiling of the new modu phone and the new jackets is the first of several major announcements planned by modu around the 2009 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. These announcements cover global distribution of the modu phone and jackets, with a significant initial order; partnership agreements; new product news; and manufacturing and production capabilities.
Along with announcements, modu is making other news at Mobile World Congress:
- CEO and Founder Dov Moran will deliver a presentation titled “A Device for All Seasons: A Modular Approach to Creating the Ideal Device” as part of the New Device Marketplace. The session takes place on Tuesday, February 17, and begins at 2:00 p.m.
- modu, a finalist in the GSM Association’s (GSMA) prestigious 2009 Mobile Innovation Global Award competition, and winner of GSMA’s Mobile Innovation Global Award — Americas Tournament, is awaiting announcement of the award on Tuesday, February 17. The Mobile Innovation Global award recognizes excellence and showcases innovation in the global mobile industry.
A busy year for modu
The GSMA nomination is one of several highlights in a year that saw modu continue its march toward reshaping the mobile phone industry. In 2008, modu also:
- Secured a total of $85 million in funding in a challenging economic environment
- Opened offices in Western Europe, South Korea and, recently, Eastern Europe to handle growing needs around design, manufacturing and sales
- Opened research and development facilities in Israel and Croatia
- Won recognition by the Guinness Book of World Records for the lightest mobile phone in the world
- Awarded “Global Finalist” recognition at the GSM Association’s (GSMA) prestigious 2009 Mobile Innovation Global Award Competition
- Earned honors by AlwaysOn as the Top Mobile Company of the AO Global 250
modu manufactures the world’s lightest mobile phone, with a vision of bringing a fundamental change to the dynamics of the personal communication world. modu has developed a tiny, modular and sleek mobile phone, which enables users to personalize their mobile experience in a simple and affordable way. Users can customize the look and features of their phone by inserting the modu phone into other devices in its ecosystem, including a range of stylish phone enclosures, called modu jackets, as well as enhanced, modu-enabled consumer electronics devices, called modu mates. modu was founded in 2007 by Dov Moran, the inventor of the USB Flash Drive and other ground breaking personal storage solutions , and is headquartered in Kfar-Saba, Israel, with offices in Austria, Croatia, South Korea and Russia. For more information, visit www.modumobile.com