Product innovations provide customers with new ways to stay connected and informed, offer new revenue for mobile industry.
Today at 3GSM World Congress 2007, Microsoft Corp. announced three new Windows Live for mobile services that provide search and communications capabilities to help people access their world of relationships, information and interests from their mobile device. Now available in the United States and the United Kingdom, Live Search for Windows Mobile and Live Search for Java provide customers with advanced local search and mapping capabilities on their mobile device. In conjunction with the availability of Windows Mobile 6, Microsoft also introduced Windows Live for Windows Mobile — a rich set of Windows Live services including e-mail, instant messaging and search — uniquely designed to work with Windows Mobile powered devices.
“People want to stay connected and informed wherever they are, and our aim is to deliver easy-to-use, familiar mobile services that keep people connected to the people and information they care about,” said Steve Berkowitz, senior vice president of the Online Services Group at Microsoft. “Live Search for mobile and Windows Live for Windows Mobile are the latest examples of our commitment to enhancing the mobile search and services experience for our customers, and helping mobile operators, OEMs and advertising partners access new revenues and differentiate their products in this competitive mobile market.”
Live Search for Windows Mobile and Live Search for Java
Live Search is now available as a software client application on Windows Mobile and Java devices. These Live Search applications represent the latest innovation in mobile search from Microsoft, providing customers with fast, easy-way access to local listings and maps. New capabilities include a unique, category-based search, which virtually eliminates the need to type text into the phone; an option to “map all results” so several listings appear on the same map; aerial imagery; and local traffic status in selected U.S. cities. Live Search for Windows Mobile provides additional new capabilities including satellite imagery, GPS integration and the ability to send search results to a friend.
The new Live Search applications will be available in the United States and the United Kingdom to customers using Windows Mobile powered devices, Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 devices, the Motorola RAZR/SLVR family, and assorted LG and Samsung devices. Live Search for mobile provides Windows Mobile and Java customers the following capabilities:
- Category-based local searching. Live Search for mobile offers the new option to search for local businesses, points of interest or services right on a mobile device without any typing. Based on their location, users can browse categories such as restaurants, hotels and accommodations, and shopping. Searches return local results with address and telephone details and provide easy options to save to contacts, map directions to or from, search nearby, map all locations, or call. Customers can also enter specific search terms to find information about a business listing, residential listing or business topic, and with integrated contact information users are able to send listing results to a friend.
- Maps and directions. Global positioning capabilities built into Live Search for mobile enable users to search and explore routes from their current location. Users can enter virtually any start and end point to retrieve routes with turn-by-turn directions and display maps with road or aerial views. For the best user experience, Live Search capabilities from Microsoft use new Virtual Earth technology to provide rich, responsive local searches with maps, directions and imagery; aerial imagery is available for Windows Mobile customers.
- Traffic. Real-time traffic data is available for more than 25 U.S. cities, including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, D.C. Traffic conditions are reported on local maps with simple green, red and yellow gradients.
Customers interested in the Live Search for Windows Mobile and Live Search for Java applications can go to http://mobile.search.live.com to view a complete list of device availability and download the software for their device at no cost. Users can easily download the Live Search client directly to their mobile phone by going to http://wls.live.comon their phone’s browser.
Live Search for mobile provides partners and advertisers with the opportunity to create new revenue through demand for data plans and new devices as well as mobile advertising. By providing highly relevant, location-based sponsored content, Microsoft Live Search helps increase the value of mobile search for consumers and advertisers. Local search is one of the top advertising platform opportunities based on user interest; Microsoft is continuing its work to provide the best local search experience for customers and partners.
Windows Live for Windows Mobile
Windows Live for Windows Mobile will provide customers with a rich set of Windows Live services, including Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger, Live Search and Windows Live Spaces, uniquely designed to work with Windows Mobile software. Windows Mobile powered devices, with their advanced software, processing power and memory, make ideal platforms for the delivery of Windows Live services. Windows Live for Windows Mobile offers one of the first industry examples of a single integrated and presence-enabled contact list on a mobile device. One consolidated list provides customers with easy access to all their Windows Live, Microsoft Office Outlook and other contacts, as well as relevant presence information. Customers using Windows Live for Windows Mobile will enjoy the following:
- Windows Live Messenger. Windows Live Messenger for mobile helps customers stay connected to the people who matter to them most while they are on the go. All the things customers love about Windows Live Messenger on the PC — a presence-enabled contact list, dozens of emoticons, instant access to friends — is available on their mobile phone. On Windows Mobile powered devices, Windows Live offers customers brilliant new ways to connect and share with friends, including the power to send messages via voice as well as text, join multiparty chats, see friends’ display tiles, and send and receive files, including personal photos.*
- Windows Live Mail. Microsoft’s e-mail service for mobile devices allows consumers to manage their Windows Live Mail or Hotmail account while on the go. Using the power of Windows Mobile 6 software, consumers now get all the richness of HTML to view graphics, Web links and more in their e-mail messages. New e-mail technology sends new e-mail messages automatically to mobile devices, so customers can trust that their inbox is always up to date.
- Live Search. Live Search brings customers an expansive mobile search experience so they can quickly and efficiently search the Web for news, local businesses and entertainment, directions, maps, images, and more. Results display in easy-to-read categories and include click-to-call capabilities and Instant Answers for easy access to information on a mobile device.
- Windows Live Spaces. With Windows Live Spaces for mobile, Microsoft’s global blogging and photo service for mobile devices, customers can stay connected to their communities while on the move. With Windows Live Spaces on Windows Mobile powered devices, customers can access links to friends’ spaces within contact cards and can send photos and videos directly to their space from their mobile device.
Windows Live for Windows Mobile also offers value and opportunity for the mobile industry. Windows Live for Windows Mobile enables operators and OEMs to differentiate their products in the marketplace by offering customers new, innovative services while helping to minimize the time to market and certification costs for operator partners. The product was designed and tested with mobile operators in mind and is immediately available for launch.
Microsoft continues to invest in Windows Live as a platform and is enabling development opportunities with open application programming interfaces and a robust partner and developer program. The Windows Live Developer Program for Mobile now supports the development tools for independent software vendors (ISVs) to create applications such as Windows Live for Windows Mobile. The developer program provides software development kits, testing guidelines and support to ISVs to develop Windows Live for mobile solutions for Windows Mobile, Java, Symbian and Palm devices, and deploy them with mobile operators. Developers who are interested in joining the Windows Live Developer Program for Mobile should contact email@example.com.
About MSN and Windows Live
MSN attracts more than 465 million unique users worldwide per month. With localized versions available globally in 42 markets and 21 languages, MSN is a world leader in delivering compelling programmed content experiences to consumers and online advertising opportunities to businesses worldwide. Windows Live, a new set of personal Internet services and software, is designed to bring together in one place all the relationships, information and interests people care about most, with enhanced safety and security features across their PC, devices and the Web. MSN and Windows Live will be offered alongside each other as complementary services. Some Windows Live services entered an early beta phase on Nov. 1, 2005; these and future beta updates can be found at http://ideas.live.com. Windows Live is available at http://www.live.com. MSN is located on the Web at http://www.msn.com. MSN worldwide sites are located at http://www.msn.com/worldwide.ashx.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
* Recipients may be charged a fee by their mobile provider to receive messages.