Meridian Audio has announced the Media Drive 600, a dedicated system storage solution that can be used either as a modular element when building a new system, or to add further storage to any existing Meridian Sooloos Digital Media System. It provides storage for up to 5000 CD albums with automatic RAID 1 backup ensuring that your media library is always safely mirrored on a second HDD.
Via Meridian’s Technical Support department, the drives can alternatively be configured as a RAID 0 array for a total of 4 TB primary storage, with backup being handled externally.
Housed in a case design that matches other recent Meridian Sooloos components, including Media Core 600 and Media Source 600, Media Drive 600 incorporates a sophisticated switch-mode power supply and efficient, automatically regulated cooling system, both of which make rack-mounting and operation easier and more reliable.
Through its DHCP-enabled network connection Media Drive 600 connects easily to a host network allowing easy integration with the rest of a Meridian Sooloos system, and integrated control from any of the Meridian Sooloos control devices or Apps.
Easily rack-mounted, Media Drive 600 has a simple front panel interface with six LEDs offering feedback on system status. The front-loading drive bays also ensure that any necessary service can be carried out without the requirement to access the rear of the rack or to remove the Media Drive 600.
The unit includes DHCP-enabled network connection for easy discovery by other Sooloos components in the system and the Media Drive 600’s storage is automatically integrated with any other Meridian Sooloos-compatible storage discovered by the system. The unit features a special high quality, high efficiency switch mode power supply for maximum performance and reliability
The storage provided by the Media Drive 600 can be and remotely monitored by Meridian to ensure maximum performance; if a potential problem is found with either of the drives, such as a drive nearing the end of its life, the Meridian retailer or installer can be alerted to allow them to take remedial action (such as drive replacement) before any problem with operation is experienced by the user.
In common with the Media Core 600, the Media Drive 600 features automatic replacement drive recognition. In the case of drive failure, the unit is simply powered down and at this point a new blank drive can be fitted. Once powered up again, the new drive is recognized automatically and the contents of the existing drive are cloned on to it with no need for operator intervention.
It includes a highly efficient, extremely low noise cooling system, the Media Drive 600 is ideal for rack mounting as well as stand-alone operation. Its twin hard drive bays are front-loading, allowing drive servicing or replacement without requiring access to the rear of the rack.
- Supplied with bays for two up to 2TB drives configured as a RAID 1 system
- Rear panel power switch
- Front panel back-lit on/off button
- Power button LED illuminates blue during startup and shudown; white when operating.
- Six front-panel LEDs as follows (L-R):
- LED 1: Error indicator
On=boot failure; flashing=drive mount failure.
- LED 2: Temperature indicator
- LED 3: CPU load indicator
On=CPU is running at greater than 80% usage.
- LED 4: RAID drive 1 failure indicator
On=RAID marked drive 1 as failed.
- LED 5: RAID drive 2 failure indicator
On=RAID marked drive 2 as failed.
- LED 6: Ethernet disconnect indicator
On=Ethernet cable is not detected
- If RAID1 and RAID2 LEDs are toggling, one of the drives is being restored to — ie a single new drive has been inserted with an existing working drive.
- If all six LEDs are illuminating sequentially back and forth, the drives are being initialized with a new filesystem, i.e. two new drives have been inserted.
- LED 1: Error indicator
- Power: Mains operation, universal voltage power supply
- Weight: TBA
- Dimensions: 440 x 97 (2U) x 350mm (18 x 3.8 x 13.8in) not including rear connectors (WHD)
- Finish: Bead-blasted, anodised, black and silver aluminium uniform with Media Source 600.
Price and Availability
The Meridian Media Drive 600 Sooloos Digital Media System Storage will be available from September 2011 for $5,000 (excluding HDDs)