Lytro today announced their second light field camera called ILLUM, which offers four times the sensor size of its predecessor. The $1,600 camera creates “living pictures” by bringing the power of 3D computer graphics to photography and enabling new avenues for visual storytelling. A customized sensor and Lytro-designed lens, along with new software, is said to offer previously impossible optical performance.
The camera paves the way for an immersive brand of storytelling in which images can be brought to life in multiple dimensions through Light Field Photography — a transformative new category that empowers artistic creation and expression beyond what is possible in the 2D world of digital and film. In capturing the color, intensity and direction of every light ray flowing into the camera, Lytro ILLUM provides a massive amount of visual information that allows photographers to recreate sights and scenes on a truly experiential canvas.
To enable such rich, layered compositions, Lytro ILLUM delivers unparalleled optical versatility by merging custom-built hardware with a powerful software platform. The camera offers a 40-megaray light field sensor, 8x optical zoom range, constant f/2.0 aperture and a high-speed shutter capable of freezing motion under a wide variety of conditions. After image capture, the innovative software platform empowers photographers to adjust aspects of images that were previously fixed, such as focus, tilt, perspective shift and depth of field, which allows the photographer to create images that will resonate for the viewer not just in one dimension, but in every dimension.
Lytro ILLUM’s totally unique photographic experience reflects the technological revolution around virtual reality and 3D graphics as powerful new storytelling formats in the Digital Age. In the hands of creative pioneers, the camera is a catalyst for a transformational shift in which the world will increasingly look for opportunities to craft a more immersive artistic experience.
“Light Field Photography is following the classic pattern for a transformational concept,” said Lytro founder Dr. Ren Ng. “The original Lytro camera, which launched in 2012, introduced an entirely new era in photography. Lytro ILLUM will advance this movement to a new level. We are very excited by the potential of this camera to ignite a photography revolution on the magnitude of the transformation from film to digital.”
In addition to enabling post-capture image adjustments, Lytro ILLUM’s proprietary software platform enables users to view images in 3D, build custom animations, export images into common formats like JPEG and share to the Web or mobile devices. Lytro ILLUM’s workflow is also compatible with existing photo-editing suites like Adobe’s Photoshop and Lightroom software and Apple’s Aperture software, allowing creative pioneers to use the tools they already know and love. For a demonstration of interactive living pictures, visit the Lytro Picture Gallery.
Price and Availability
The Lytro ILLUM camera will ship starting July 2014 for $1,599.
- Custom-designed 40-megaray light field sensor
- 8x optical zoom lens (30mm-250mm equivalent)
- Constant f/2.0 aperture across the entire zoom range
- 1/4000 of a second high-speed shutter
- Extreme close-focus macro capability
- Combination of tactile-controls and smartphone-class, articulating touchscreen
- Dimensions: 86mm x 145mm x 166mm; 940 grams
- Hot shoe supports all leading flashes
- Virtual camera controls in post-processing, including aperture focus and perspective adjustments and physically accurate tilt control
- Instantly displays 3D photos on 3D-capable devices
- Integrated sharing to leading social networks including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+
- Library of drag-and-drop cinematic animations, including pan, zoom, focus and perspective shift
- Interactive depth assist
- Workflow is compatible with existing photo-editing suites like Adobe’s Photoshop and Lightroom software and Apple’s Aperture software
Where to Buy