The 2017 Leica CL model is a new 24-megapixel APS-C interchangeable lens digital camera featuring a compact design and the smallest wide-angle APS-C lens, the Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH. With body and lens together this retro looking mirrorless camera is for serious photographers who can withstand its $4000 price tag. Although, Leica says CL is intuitive enough for beginners, while also offer total customization for advanced users.
The Leica CL has a built-in high-resolution electronic viewfinder and all essential controls conveniently located on its top plate, designed to be used with L-mount lenses. Atop the camera are two dials, with customizable buttons in each center, for setting the aperture, shutter speed, ISO value, exposure compensation and shooting mode – making it convenient for the photographer to take pictures without taking their eye away from the viewfinder. An additional display on the top plate instantly provides all relevant photographic settings at a glance. The user has total control at their fingertips when taking pictures with the Leica CL, and the perfectly tuned pressure point of the shutter release brings it all together with a satisfying haptic click.
- Lightweight and compact design
- Tactile, intuitive and quick-to-navigate buttons and controls
- Built-in electronic viewfinder, equipped with EyeRes technology developed by Leica and the ability to preview the brightness and color of the final image before the shutter release is fully depressed
- 24 MP, APS-C, a Maestro II series processor and fast autofocus system with 49 AF points to guarantee brilliant photographs in all situations, including low-light scenes.
- L-Bayonet mount shared by the Leica TL- and SL-Systems, SL-Lenses can also be used without an adapter on the CL and the TL, in addition to appropriate adapters to accommodate Leica M- and R-Lenses
- Integrated Wi-Fi module allows quick and easy sharing of photos and videos by email or on social networks with the Leica CL App for iOS or Android
- 4K video recording @ 30fps
- 1080p Full-HD video recording @ 30/60fps
- ISO range of 100-50,000
- Quick burst shooting up to 10 fps with either mechanical shutter or electronic shutter
- DNG+JPG shooting for up to 33 shots in continuous burst
New Leica Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH.
To complement the Leica APS-C system, the new Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH. holds the title as the smallest wide-angle APS-C pancake lens currently available in the market. When mounted to the Leica CL, the camera and prime lens are small enough to fit into a coat pocket or small handbag. Despite being just 20.5mm (less than one inch) in total length, the lens sacrifices nothing, providing the unrivalled imaging performance all Leica lenses are known for. Travel photography is easy with this light and dynamic lens, especially when paired with the Leica CL.
As a whole, the Leica APS-C System portfolio of lenses offer exceptionally high picture quality and infinite opportunities for creative photography. In addition to the Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH., the selection of lenses currently includes three zoom lenses (Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23 mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH., Vario-Elmar-TL 18-56 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. and the APO-Vario-Elmar-TL 55-135 mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH.) as well as three prime lenses (Summicron-TL 23 mm f/2 ASPH., Summilux-TL 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH. and the APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 mm f/2.8 ASPH.).
Leica CL will be offered in two bundle options alongside an accompanying lens. The “Prime Kit” will include the new Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH lens, while the “Vario Kit” option includes the Vario-Elmar-TL 18-56 mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, allowing photographers to get into this new camera and growing system with a lens that best suits their photography style in an easy-to-grab kit.
The Leica CL and Leica Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH will both be available from Leica stores, boutiques and dealers at the end of November 2017. The Leica CL body, in black anodized finish, will be $2,795.00 while the Prime and Vario Kits will be $3,795.00 and $3,995.00 respectively. The new Leica Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH, in black or silver anodized finish, will be $1,295.00.