HP (NYSE:HPQ) today launched a home server designed for use with both Windows and Mac computers.
Based on the Microsoft Windows Home Server platform, the HP MediaSmart Server ex485/ex487 is a central repository for automatically backing up and accessing digital music, videos, photos and documents from multiple computers on a home network.1
The MediaSmart Server automatically organizes files across all PCs, streams media across a home network and the Internet,2 and publishes photos to popular social networking and photo sharing sites.
“A growing number of digital-savvy households have both Windows and Mac computers, with hundreds and sometimes thousands of media files and documents scattered across these devices,” said Jason Zajac, vice president of strategy, Worldwide Attach Group, HP. “The HP MediaSmart Server protects, stores and organizes this content from anywhere on a network so consumers can access and share it any place they are connected.”
“HP continues to innovate on the Windows Home Server platform giving consumers even more options to enjoy and protect their precious memories and valuable data,” said Charlie Kindel, general manager, Windows Server Solutions, Microsoft. “We believe consumers will embrace the new MediaSmart Server as one of the most exciting computing products for the home.”
HP MediaSmart Server ex485/ex487 features include:
- HP Media Collector: conveniently schedules the MediaSmart Server to copy and centralize digital files and libraries from networked PCs
- Media Streaming: remotely streams photos and music to any Internet-connected PC or Mac
- Server for iTunes: centralizes iTunes music libraries on the server for playback to any networked Mac or PC running iTunes
- HP Photo Publisher: easily upload photos to Facebook, Picasa Web Albums and Snapfish3
- HP Photo Viewer: allows easy sharing of photos with friends and family
- PC Hard Drive Backup: backs up networked PCs via the Windows Home Server backup feature
- Mac Hard Drive Backup: backs up Macs running Leopard using Apple Time Machine software
- Server Backup: duplicates designated shared folders to a separate hard disk drive
- Online Backup: duplicates designated folders to Amazon’s S3 online backup service for an additional layer of protection
- Smart Power Management: can schedule times for server to go to “sleep” and “wake up,” saving on energy costs
- Processor: Intel Celeron, 2.0 GHz 64-bit. Two gigabytes (GB) of 800-MHz DDR2 DRAM now standard on MediaSmart Server
- Expandability: additional drives can be added for up to 9 terabytes (TB)
“Customers are always looking for the right mix of features and ease-of-use when choosing digital home products,” said Danielle Levitas, group vice president, Consumer, Broadband and Digital Marketplace, IDC. “HP’s focus and investment in software allows it to deliver a home server with compelling features for Mac and PC users while offering a great customer experience that helps simplify the complexity of the connected home. This unique offering will help expand the home server market.”
Pricing and availability
Manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the HP MediaSmart Server ex485 with 750 GB of hard disk storage is $599 while the HP MediaSmart Server ex487 with 1.5 TB is $749.4
The HP MediaSmart Server can be pre-ordered beginning Jan. 5, 2009, from Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, Buy.com, Frys.com and NewEgg.com; it is expected to ship in February.
The first 200 consumers who visit HP Home & Home Office (www.hpshopping.com) or call +1 888 271 2982 between Jan. 5 – 11, 2009, to reserve a MediaSmart Server and use coupon code “AC5674” will receive a $50 savings off their purchase.5
More information is available at hp.com/go/mediasmartserver.
1 Wired or wireless home network required.
2 Internet access required and sold separately.
3 Services are subject to change without notice and some services may not be available at time of product purchase.
4 Estimated U.S. retail prices. Actual prices may vary.
5 Valid for HP Home & Home Office (www.hpshopping.com) Internet and call center purchases only. Coupon valid on first 200 redemptions, or while supplies last. Any unused portion will be forfeited. Each coupon code is limited to one usage per customer; one coupon code per checkout. Offer void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Non-transferable. Not valid retroactively on previously purchased items. Not valid for any resale activity as defined by HP Home & Home Office Store. Coupons may not be used to purchase gift cards. Not valid on instant rebates or clearance sales. May not be permitted with certain bundle offers. Not valid on: Academic and Employee purchase programs, HP Employee purchase program, Refurbished products, Extended Service Plans, Compaq Presario and HP Pavilion desktops with Intel Celeron or AMD Sempron processors or Compaq Presario CQ50Z customizable notebooks. For complete coupon conditions, see “Coupon Information” in the “Customer Service” section at www.hpshopping.com.