GoPro announced the HD HERO2 point-of-view (POV) digital camera / camcorder the records professional 1080p videos and captures 11-megapixel photos. The camera comes in three versions with mounting options for helmets, bikes or surfboards. New features include a Wi-Fi remote control and video streaming.
The HD HERO2 surpasses its predecessor with several technology upgrades. The HD HERO2's new processor delivers twice the processing power, taking full advantage of a new high performance 11 megapixel sensor that delivers more than twice the image detail along with professional low light performance. A totally redesigned wide-angle lens was required to take full advantage of the HD HERO2's increased image-processing, resulting in a lens that's twice as sharp as the previous model. And with the arrival of GoPro's new Wi-Fi BacPac and Wi-Fi Remote products slated for release this winter, the HD HERO2 will enable video remote control via the Wi-Fi Remote, smartphones and devices, tablets and computers as well as enabling live GoPro video broadcast from anywhere there is Wi-Fi or a mobile hotspot.
- Professional 11MP Sensor
- 2x Faster Image Processor
- 2x Sharper Glass Lens
- Professional Low Light Performance
- Full 170 degrees, Medium 127 degrees, Narrow 90 degrees FOV in 1080p and 720p Video
- 120 fps WVGA, 60 fps 720p, 48 fps 960p, 30 fps 1080p Video
- Full 170 degrees and Medium 127 degrees FOV Photos
- 10 11MP Photos Per Second Burst
- 1 11MP Photo Every 0.5 Sec Timelapse Mode
- 3.5mm External Stereo Microphone Input
- Simple Language-based User Interface
- Compatible with Wi-Fi BacPac and Wi-Fi Remote
- Long Range Remote Control of up to 50 GoPro Cameras per Wi-Fi Remote
- Wi-Fi Video/Photo Preview, Playback and Control via GoPro App
- Live Streaming Video and Photos to the Web
Upgraded Professional Photo Quality and Features
The HD HERO2's photo capture performance has also been significantly upgraded. In addition to much improved low light performance, the HD HERO2 can capture up to ten 11 megapixel photos in a one second burst mode as well as automatic time-lapse photos with quick .5 second timing between photos. This dramatically increases the success-rate when attempting to capture magazine cover quality photos during fast action sports and activities.
Simplified User Interface
GoPro also placed a priority on redesigning the HD HERO2's user interface for dead simple ease-of-use. The HD HERO2 features a totally new, straightforward language-based user interface that eliminates the need for instructions.
“The HD HERO2 is much, much easier to use than the original HD HERO. If you know how to use a traditional camera, you can use the HD HERO2 straight out of the box without instructions. This makes the HD HERO2 very powerful as an everyday, easy to use consumer camera while retaining all of the features, modes and performance that has made GoPro the best selling small form factor HD camera to Hollywood,” said GoPro's Director of Product Definition, Rudy Samuels.
Price and Availability
The HD HERO2 sells in three bundled-accessory configurations, each containing the necessary mounts for particular genres of use or activity. The HD HERO2 is backwards compatible with all existing GoPro mounts and accessories.
- HD HERO2: Outdoor Edition – $299.99
- HD HERO2: Motorsports Edition – $299.99
- HD HERO2: Surf Edition – $299.99
The original 1080p HD HERO camera is now available for $199.99 – $239.99 (USD) (previously $259.99 – $299.99). The Wi-Fi BacPac and Wi-Fi Remote are also compatible with the original HD HERO camera, but functionality is limited to remote control only. Video and photo streaming is not supported.Where to Buy