Google’s first direct to consumer phone is available online with a T-Mobile contract for $179
Google has just announced a new way for consumers to purchase a mobile phone through a Google hosted web store. Google aims to simplify the cell purchasing experience, helping consumers select a phone, carrier and even configure it online.
The first phone Google will be selling through this new web store is the Nexus One — a convergence point for mobile technology, apps and the Internet. “Nexus One is an exemplar of what’s possible on mobile devices through Android — when cool apps meet a fast, bright and connected computer that fits in your pocket,” says Mario Queiroz, VP of Product Management. “The Nexus One belongs in the emerging class of devices which we call superphones. It’s the first in what we expect to be a series of products which we will bring to market with our operator and hardware partners and sell through our online store.”
Manufactured by HTC, the Nexus One features dynamic noise suppression from Audience, Inc., a large 3.7″ OLED display for deep contrast and brilliant colors and a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset for blazing speeds. Running on Android 2.1, the newest version of Eclair, the software includes innovations like a voice-enabled keyboard so you can speak into any text field, fun Live Wallpapers, a 3D photo gallery for richer media experiences and lots more. Of course, it also comes with a host of popular Google applications, including Gmail, Google Voice and Google Maps Navigation.
Today, the web store allows you to purchase the Nexus One without operator service or with service from T-Mobile USA. Google expects to add more operators, more devices and more countries in the future, including Verizon Wireless in the U.S. and Vodafone in Europe. For more details see www.google.com/phone
Nexus One Hardware Features
- Display: 3.7″ AMOLED 480×800 WVGA display
- Thinness: 11.5mm; Weight: 130g
- Processor/Speed: Qualcomm Snapdragon 3G QSD8250 chipset, delivering speeds up to 1GHz
- Camera: 5 megapixel auto focus with flash and geo tagging
- Onboard memory: 512MB Flash, 512MB RAM
- Expandable memory: 4GB removable SD Card (expandable to 32GB)
- Noise Suppression: Dynamic noise suppression from Audience, Inc.
- Ports: 3.5mm stereo headphone jack with four contacts for inline voice and remote control
- Battery: Removable 1400 mAh
- Personalized laser engraving: Up to 50 characters on the back of the phone
- Trackball: Tri-color notification LED, alerts when new emails, chats, text messages arrive
Nexus One Software Innovation
- Google Maps Navigation: offering turn-by-turn driving directions with voice output.
- Email: multiple Gmail accounts; universal inbox and Exchange support.
- Phone book: aggregate contacts from multiple sources, including Facebook.
- Quick Contacts: easily switch between communication and social applications.
- Android Market: access to more than 18,000 applications.
- Enter text without typing: Use a voice-enabled keyboard for all text fields: speak a text message, instant message, tweet, Facebook update, or complete an email.
- Tell your phone what you want it to do: Search Google, call contacts, or get driving directions by just speaking into your phone.
- Take personalization to the next level: Dynamic, interactive, live wallpapers react to the touch of a finger. More widgets and five home screen panels allow for further device customization.
- Capture camera-quality pictures and video with your device: 5 megapixel camera includes LED flash, auto focus, zoom, white balance and color effects.
- View pictures and Picasa Web Albums in the new 3D Gallery.
- Record Hi-Res MPEG4 video, and then upload to YouTube with one click.
- Read your voicemail messages: Get transcribed voicemail with Google Voice integration, without changing your number.